Oakley TB-3031 kit coming - mod suggestions?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SubliminalEffect

Oakley TB-3031 kit coming - mod suggestions?

Post by SubliminalEffect » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:21 am

i've got an unassembled Oakley Sound Systems TB-3031 version 2 kit that will be coming my way.

do any of you have any experience with this TB-303 clone? any suggestions for mods?

i know i'm jumping the gun on this - i've got to get it built first but i'd also like to start planning some mods for it. hey, if i'm going to build this thing, i might as well make it truly my own, right?

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:40 am

I have tb-303.

Usefull mods are imo:
External audio input for the filter.
And cutoff modulation by the vco.
I also have an output for the vco, but thats because I want to integrate it with my modulair synth.
I tried all the other mods, but they didn't do it for me.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:10 am

Not a mod but try putting it through a bass compressor pedal to emulate the c**p mixer section on real 303 although it was Tony who told me about this element of the 303 sound so he's probably incorporated it in already.

Please let us know how Tony's baby fairs up. :) I almost got one myself but the Revolution seemed a tidier package at the time with the cool sequencer and I couldn't be arsed with the build.

Oh yeah a good mod it go gut a nasty distortion pedal and connect the overdrive amount to the resonance, it gives a more controlled growl for bass sounds like on the Rev and Devilfish.

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:33 pm

godmcgarvey wrote:Better still don't buy a TB-303 or a clone, grossly overated peice of kit
Give me a break. Are you boycotting all that is 303?

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:05 pm

Better still, STOP TROLLING. There is really no better word to describe your actions. If you don't like 303s, then no one in this thread gives a s**t about your opinion. We all know that not everyone likes 303s. Keep your irrelevant opinions posted only to cause controversy out of threads that don't ask for them.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:10 pm

Come on guys, if God doesn't like it, it must be c**p, right? :wink:
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:40 pm

A polite reminder to keep this civil, people.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:03 am

godmcgarvey wrote:Better still don't buy a TB-303 or a clone, grossly overated peice of kit
Better still don't talk BS about something you have little knowledge or interest in. :roll:

A Mobius retails for 350UKP and a Revolution 450UKP which has a slightly better sequencer and is only 100 squid more.
Tony's kit should cost you around 100UKP for the parts and curcuit board which is very reasonable as most of that is on the cost price of components.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:26 am

I have a Tb-303 and I realy realy want an other one.

I couldn't imagine a morning waking up and not be able to turn the knobs of a Tb-303.

Tb or not Tb, that's the question.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:17 am

Soundwave wrote:Please let us know how Tony's baby fairs up. :) I almost got one myself but the Revolution seemed a tidier package at the time with the cool sequencer and I couldn't be arsed with the build.
i can manage this after i get it built - i've got two FR-777s to compare it against and a Syntecno TeeBee too.

if you're wondering if i'm on some elusive obsession with TB-303 clones, er, no. this will be one for the mods - after i get the as-designed working correctly.

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:47 am

Soundwave wrote:A Mobius retails for 350UKP and a Revolution 450UKP which has a slightly better sequencer and is only 100 squid more.
Tony's kit should cost you around 100UKP for the parts and curcuit board which is very reasonable as most of that is on the cost price of components.
having borrowed a friend's TB-303 when they were originally on the market, i could never get myself to pay extortionate amounts for one in the after-market. on the other hand, clones seemed a reasonable alternative to me.

with the TB-3031 kit, my ultimate end goal is not just to re-create something that exists already but to have a starting point to create something new and custom from it. what value do you place on this kind of opportunity?

also, Oakley has discontinued the TB-3031. i'm getting the kit for even less than the equivalent of 100UKP which makes it a real bargain by my book.