Hello! 2nd synth to compliment my 1st synth (Nord Lead)?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
dusk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:25 pm

Hello! 2nd synth to compliment my 1st synth (Nord Lead)?

Post by dusk » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:49 pm

Hi everyone, my first post here. Looks like a great forum. Thanks in advance for replying even though Ive yet to reply to anyone else!

I recently bought my first hardware synth, the Nord Lead 2X, after many years of software synths. I'm loving it in so many ways, but I'm already thinking of another synth. Ive really got the bug....

What synth would you get that fills any gaps in the Nord's main abilities?

Im looking at something mainly for bass as so far Im struggling to get deep, warm bass from the Nord. Ive seen Roland SHs (101? 09?) are recommended; the JP8000 also really appeals although its another VA.

(I know many have asked these questions so bear with me...)

I suppose max budget would be £500/$1000 and it has to be buyable without years of searching!

Thanks again,

dusk :)

Angstwulf
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:33 pm

Post by Angstwulf » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Sounds like you're only about 75 pounds from a Lil' Phatty or MEK.

User avatar
kuniklo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Undisclosed

Post by kuniklo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Another VA is going to be somewhat redundant. Get something weird like a Monomachine (used) or a Waldorf XT or an Evolver.

dusk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:25 pm

Post by dusk » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:25 pm

Great guys, thanks alot for this.

Ive seen the little phatty for £800 here in the UK, which is a little too much right now.

User avatar
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1885
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:13 pm
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:15 pm

kuniklo wrote:Another VA is going to be somewhat redundant. Get something weird like a Monomachine (used) or a Waldorf XT or an Evolver.
I disagree with this statement, having another VA is not going to be redundant, as each VA sounds different, just like any two synths would.

On top of that, you recommended a VA, the Waldorf XT, which by all means is a digital synth using subtractive synthesis.

Back to the topic though, for your price range, and for what you're looking for, I have these suggestions:

Roland SH101 - You can make some super thick basses with this little synth.

Access Virus A or B - A great all around synth, and its dark tone definitely gives it power in the lower frequencies. I have one and it compliments my lead 2x very well.

Roland Jp8000/8080 - Another great VA, and you cant go wrong with the supersaw waves and feedback oscillators.

-Joey
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

User avatar
kuniklo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Undisclosed

Post by kuniklo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:22 pm

Joey wrote: I disagree with this statement, having another VA is not going to be redundant, as each VA sounds different, just like any two synths would.
If I'm only going to have two instruments I'd rather not have two pianos, even if piano nerds insist they sound different.
On top of that, you recommended a VA, the Waldorf XT, which by all means is a digital synth using subtractive synthesis.
The XT is not a V(irtual) A(nalog) and doesn't sound like one.

User avatar
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:31 pm

Post by Yoozer » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:03 pm

Waldorf Pulse. Yes, it's a rackmachine, but it's still pretty neat.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Entropy Farmer
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:38 pm
Location: Chicago

Post by Entropy Farmer » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:10 pm

The XT is not a V(irtual) A(nalog) and doesn't sound like one.
Wavetable locations 61-63 disagree, and the post-wavetable signal path is most definitely analog-style subtractive, even if the sound character is very digital. I'd consider it a superset.

User avatar
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1885
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:13 pm
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:14 pm

kuniklo wrote:
Joey wrote: I disagree with this statement, having another VA is not going to be redundant, as each VA sounds different, just like any two synths would.
If I'm only going to have two instruments I'd rather not have two pianos, even if piano nerds insist they sound different.
On top of that, you recommended a VA, the Waldorf XT, which by all means is a digital synth using subtractive synthesis.
The XT is not a V(irtual) A(nalog) and doesn't sound like one.
You should check your ears. Last time I checked its very easy to tell the difference between a nord lead and a virus or any other VA for that matter.

I've used an XT extensively, one of my old bandmates has one, its definitely a subtractive synth. It has the same signal path, which as far as i know means its the same form of synthesis. Just because you have more waves available does not make the synthesis method different.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:51 pm

Octave CAT

User avatar
kuniklo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Undisclosed

Post by kuniklo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:03 pm

Joey wrote: You should check your ears. Last time I checked its very easy to tell the difference between a nord lead and a virus or any other VA for that matter.
Only synth nerds care.
I've used an XT extensively, one of my old bandmates has one, its definitely a subtractive synth. It has the same signal path, which as far as i know means its the same form of synthesis. Just because you have more waves available does not make the synthesis method different.
So every synth with a filter is now a virtual analog? He should collect VAs because they sound so different but an XT is just more of the same?

MitchK1989
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:46 am
Location: Nova Scotia

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:23 pm

Joey wrote:I've used an XT extensively, one of my old bandmates has one, its definitely a subtractive synth. It has the same signal path, which as far as i know means its the same form of synthesis. Just because you have more waves available does not make the synthesis method different.
That would be a valid point if the waves were static, but they aren't. It's the act of creatively sweeping THROUGH the wavetables with envelopes and LFOs that take it places analog/virtual analog can't go.

I agree that VAs can sound VERY different from each other, but not as different as they do from wavetable/FM/Additive/Sample Based synths.

User avatar
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1885
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:13 pm
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:31 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:
Joey wrote:I've used an XT extensively, one of my old bandmates has one, its definitely a subtractive synth. It has the same signal path, which as far as i know means its the same form of synthesis. Just because you have more waves available does not make the synthesis method different.
That would be a valid point if the waves were static, but they aren't. It's the act of creatively sweeping THROUGH the wavetables with envelopes and LFOs that take it places analog/virtual analog can't go.

I agree that VAs can sound VERY different from each other, but not as different as they do from wavetable/FM/Additive/Sample Based synths.
So would the new virus TI, with wave tables and grain tables, still be considered a VA?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

User avatar
kuniklo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Undisclosed

Post by kuniklo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:34 pm

Joey wrote: So would the new virus TI, with wave tables and grain tables, still be considered a VA?
It's a VA/wavetable hybrid.

User avatar
oceanbourne
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:38 am
Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
Contact:

Post by oceanbourne » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:53 pm

Dude, what softsynths do you have? I am assuming you still use these and if they are high-quality, they should also be considered when thinking about what to get next so you avoid overlapping their capacities. In example, I have Massive so I would not look myself so much for hardware that duplicates its wavetable capabilities.
**************
Oceanbourne

http://www.myspace.com/faeroerne

Bösendorfer 170, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland Juno-G, Nord Lead 2X, Roland SH-201, microKorg, Ensoniq EPS-16+, Novation X-Station, CME-UF7 (for softsynths & Kontakt).

Post Reply