Yet another "what synth to chose" thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
inVrs

Yet another "what synth to chose" thread

Post by inVrs » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:08 am

hi dear people,

so i finally decided to sell my JX3p because i really dont need another synth without an intuitive, hands-on-task interface (i dont have the controller and dont think i ll buy it). sure, it`s simple to program, but i m really the "knob" kind of guy. period. also, besides the really nice sequencer i couldnt find any judgement for keeping it.
what i really like to have is a nice small monosynth, mainly for bass.
i want some FAT, analog, mr fingers/detroit-house bass. options i think of would be a roland sh, a yamaha cs (? still love to get the 30, but its outta the price range as for now) and.. what else is there? a small arp/moog? i had the MG-1 but it never worked, problem with the power supply or sth like this..

edit: oh, about the ms10 i have. i really like the square basslines u can do, but it sounds really filthy, not that punchy. i love the ms, but i use it mainly for warm leads or crazy fx, plus the square bass..

i`d be willing to sell my jx3p plus spent another +/- 150 euros.

what u say?

cheers

d.
SSB Syntec BANANA, KORG MS10, POLY61, MOOG MG-1, SEQUENTIAL SIXTRAK, OBERHEIM MATRIX 6, ROLAND JUPITER 6, JX3P, ROLAND SH2000, YAMAHA DX7, YAMAHA PSS401, CASIO CT-405.

MACKIE VLZ1402, CUBASE SX.
www.myspace.com/inversecinematics

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:21 am

I think what you're after is a Pro-One. Fatter than the MS10 and still dirty, but with massive punch. Hate to be a plug-my-own-myspace-r, but check out this remix a friend did of a track of ours, it's all Pro-One except the drums:

Click here, it's the second track, the highway d-block remix. I suggest only cause it's a great example of the Pro-One.
Last edited by Stab Frenzy on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

inVrs

Post by inVrs » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:29 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I think what you're after is a Pro-One. Fatter than the MS10 and still dirty, but with massive punch. Hate to be a plug-my-own-myspace-r, but check out this remix a friend did of a track of ours, it's all Pro-One except the drums:

Click here, it's the second track, the highway d-block remix. I suggest only cause it's a great example of the Pro-One.
nice. i really like the first track. nice production on it. and that from someone who generally hates 80`s influenced electro haha.
never tried a pro-one, but i m curious. i only had a sixtrak at one time, which i didnt like that much.

anyway. i decided to post a myspace link to a classic example of what i m after:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=74550716

the track "can you feel it" (number 4), a classic example for "that" bass.
SSB Syntec BANANA, KORG MS10, POLY61, MOOG MG-1, SEQUENTIAL SIXTRAK, OBERHEIM MATRIX 6, ROLAND JUPITER 6, JX3P, ROLAND SH2000, YAMAHA DX7, YAMAHA PSS401, CASIO CT-405.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:58 am

That sounds like a DX-7 to me. It's funny that that's not at all what I had in mind when you said punchy, but i know exactly what you mean. Like being pushed by a heavy weight or something.

Glad you liked the production on that track, I recorded, mixed and mastered (badly) it all myself. :)

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:33 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:That sounds like a DX-7 to me. It's funny that that's not at all what I had in mind when you said punchy, but i know exactly what you mean. Like being pushed by a heavy weight or something.
The dx 7 can do quite a good impression of this sound.I always thought it was an MC-202.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:53 am

Detroit bass is a DX synth. If you want small there is the DX100 but you pay a premium for small keys. The DX27 is the same engine (the circuit boards say DX100) and costs a lot less but is full size. You can get a TX81Z which is a bit different and a rack.

Of course these is nothing intuitive about programming a DX synth.

inVrs

Post by inVrs » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:15 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:Detroit bass is a DX synth. If you want small there is the DX100 but you pay a premium for small keys. The DX27 is the same engine (the circuit boards say DX100) and costs a lot less but is full size. You can get a TX81Z which is a bit different and a rack.

Of course these is nothing intuitive about programming a DX synth.
i have a DX7 which i use quite a bit, but bass would be one of the last things i`d do with it. hmm..
what about a roland sh-1/2/09? are they more versatile than an ms10? at least the 1/2 should be , as they got 2 oscs, no?

d.

speculator

Post by speculator » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:52 pm

juno 6

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 pm

Juno 6 comes close to the "can you feel it" sound. My AX-60 gets closer and get some of those old Prodigy Jupiter 6 sounds as well.

I think 4op FM might be your answer. DX-11 ??

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 pm

No you really can do that sound with a DX, try downloading a lot of presets for it, there's bass in it yet.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:28 pm

btw - I have always been interested in that song because it's one of my fav tracks of all time.

I heard it's mainly just DX7 and Jupiter 8

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:08 pm

The Octave CAT is fat and vintage and therefore worth a look. Probably a good match for the Pro-One and mine has the real vintage bite - a bit like a Minimoog.

I have a video of it on YouTube if you want to have a look to see what it's capable of.

The Pro-One is a good suggestion but the build quality is a bit iffy and avoid the ones with the membrane keyboards. Also the Roland SH-2, SH-09 are probably some other contenders.

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:53 am

"Can You Feel It" is a Jupiter 6.
...c**p, I can't find the interview with Larry Heard in which he talks about it.

It's either that or a Jupiter 4.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:25 am

DX-type FM synth bass: that deep DONG sound of sorts - with spot-on constant, consistent tuning.
a VCO vintage mono will give a decidedly different, less constantly 'accurate', more organic feel. This can enhance or detract from a track depending on it's arrangement w/ the other instruments.

btw, I usually use a Supernova2 for FM/DX-type bass, and a 777 for a more aggressive SCI-tone(VCO), plus Moog(also VCO). I am not wanting.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:08 am

Why are you guys recommending DX's for someone who specifically wants a knooby synth?
:lol:
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)