DIY synths and ethics

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:01 am

tallowwaters wrote:f**k you! vse mods are all fascists bastards that look like slayer roadies!
:lol:
Right that's it, you're banned from posting in General Synths for ten seconds...

...now I hope you've learned your lesson! I can do totalitarian on a whim. Bloody bearded, beer-bellied, long haired burly nazis... mutter!
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:11 am

tallowwaters wrote: anyhow, post info online and asking people not to use it....well, sadly enough, people will exploit you.
Yeah it falls pretty much dead center of a gray area. While I think what he's doing is wrong, because he knows it is and he is benefitting off of others hard work, I can't help but think that they have kind of set themselves up for this. I think its a great idea and community but it's ideas are to utopian based and it doesn't answer the big question of consumer demand withotu electronic skills or desire to DIY. Thorsten really should have just created a product he could sell, such as a kit. He would of profited and no one would feel bad about building these to sell. I see no problem with someone buying and building an xoxbox and proifiting off of it.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:52 am

If the intent of the guy is to do profit with building these midibox, it's illegal.

Thorsten website states that the content of its site is for non-profit personnal use.

Now to sue that guy, it's really impossible because you cannot confirm the guys intent. It's perfectly legal to build a kit and then resale it to the highest offerer because you are not interested to own the product anymore. I've done that with my Fatman, sold it for 80$ (for a negative profit) :wink:

However, if the guy would be a company called Behringer and had the intention to mass produce a product based on the design, then there would be an infringement. Remember the square guitar pedals ?

To sum it up, what the guy is doing is shabby, but we cannot accuse him because there`s no definite proof of intention. The only thing we can do is not to buy from it. Hence demand will drop, so the final selling price. We could send a letter to ebay to shut this seller out. But he'll come back under 10 differents names and sell his stuff anyway.

We could discuss about the people who do those cheapo Theremin. They seems to come from all the same original schematics.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.