Whats a good drum machine for triggering drum synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
artfulideas

Whats a good drum machine for triggering drum synths?

Post by artfulideas » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:54 pm

To have a good trigger for drum synths it should be loud and short, right? What are some MIDI drum machines (cheap ones) that I could use the outputs to trigger my drumfire and simmonds modules? I vaguely recall some Yamaha drum machine that has alot of outputs and is cheap for this purpose.

Currently I trigger them with the wildly unpredictable bent 727, which can be fun, but sometimes annoying. The 727 has tons of outs but not always a good strong "click" because the machine is bent and sometimes just produces fuzzy distorted noises not loud enough to be a trigger out.

I think of drum "brains" the same way as keyboard synths or modules, basically they need an external sequencer or trigger, as opposed to proper drum machines or synths with a built in sequencer. I dont know why there arent drum sequencers out there specifically made to use those old drum brains via trig ins. I mean, there are a ton of synth sequencers right?

Anyways, suggestions are appreciated.
Drum machines: Machinedrum UW mk II, modded TR-606, TR-707 & TR-727 (both circuit bent), ER-1 mkII
Synths: MFB Synth II, MicroKorg, modded Fatman, Mini theremin

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:12 pm

I'd use an MPC.

Constantine
Gear: ableton live, ESX, kurzweil k2000r, euro/frac/DIY modular, sp-404, and Berna lol
Band: nXLR

Post by Constantine » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:26 pm

i use roland s-330. it has 8 outputs and can become not only a trigger module, but a sequencer for drum brains too, if you can find a proper diskette.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:07 pm

All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Whats a good drum machine for triggering drum synths?

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:31 pm

artfulideas wrote:I vaguely recall some Yamaha drum machine that has alot of outputs and is cheap for this purpose.
Probably the RX5, they have 12 individual outputs, and you can find them quite cheap (under $100) on Ebay. Haven't tried it myself, but I've read numerous references to people using the RX5 to trigger other machines.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Post by hinotori » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:15 am

id second the rx5 .
thats what i used it for with my simmons .