Nord Lead 1 anyone?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mattio
Band: Soft System

Nord Lead 1 anyone?

Post by mattio » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:24 pm

hi all,

i managed to score a nord lead 1 for Nok. 2000,- that would be sowhere around $ 340,-. a descent price for a piece of gear with these specs where i live. considering it´s one of the first va´s around i must say i´m pretty impressed with it. to me it sounds totally fat and it emulates the moogish bass type of sound like it was nothing to it. i think it sounds much better than my old ms2000r. i´ve been trying to find out more about it, but clavia haven´t got to much info on the nl1 on their site anymore. screen reads 2.6 on boot but i dont know to much more. anyone else around here that´s happy with theirs. just wanted to share my enthusiasm :D !!

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:35 pm

I'm not a Nord fan but apparently the lower resolution on the Nord1 gives it a warmer sound than its successors which is why you don't see many going 2nd hand. Apparently the same effect can be archived with the Nord Modular using its onboard bit reducer but I've never tried this out.

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:45 pm

does your version have the drum banks? i have version 1.3 and alas, no drum sounds. :(

West_Berliner
Gear: Nord Lead 2, Nord Modular, Virus C, Machinedrum SPS-1
Band: musique concrete

Post by West_Berliner » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:37 pm

nice! i was originally going to get the original nord lead, but ended up getting my lead 2! i really like the shape of the original, with the cut corners hehe :)

i can totally share your enthusiasm though! i feel the same about both my nords! :)
"Destruction is not negative. you must destroy to build" - Blixa Bargeld

presets
No Longer Registered

Post by presets » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:28 pm

divineaudio wrote:does your version have the drum banks? i have version 1.3 and alas, no drum sounds. :(
the drum sounds started with v2. im not sure how you can upgrade . i think starting with v2 is when you got the extra filter. press all the filter buttons at the same time they should all stay lit. extra filter

mattio

Post by mattio » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:32 pm

divineaudio wrote:does your version have the drum banks? i have version 1.3 and alas, no drum sounds. :(
thanks for all the feedback all, i´m sorry to hear that, but yes mine has a lot of drum sounds also. i also think i read somewhere on the net that at some point an upgrade would require a eprom chip change for the nl2 but i´m really not sure when it comesto the nl1. anyoneknow if it´s still possible and if so, where i can get the 8 voice upgrade?

CTB

Post by CTB » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:23 am

Not much to add here. I have a Nord 1, and I like it. I think mine is also 2.6 and has the expansion. Good luck finding an expansion these days, though. I don't think I've ever seen one - did they even sell that separately, or did you have to get it updated by a Nord-certified tech?
CTB

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:01 am

I had a rack last year. I like it.

mattio

Post by mattio » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:07 am

CTB wrote: I don't think I've ever seen one - did they even sell that separately, or did you have to get it updated by a Nord-certified tech?
it´s no big deal for me to get the upgrade, there´s still plenty of space for saving my own sounds ( i´m not too busy using the factory patches anyway :shock: ). as for the upgrade it probably comes down to tech-experience, but clavia themselves say a nord-certified tech should do it.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:22 am

West_Berliner wrote:i really like the shape of the original, with the cut corners hehe :)
yeah, the lead 1 shape is cool, I imagine that it's going to looks cool together with the AN1x. It's one of the VA that I still have passion with.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums