Virus A or Micro Q?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mpresev

Virus A or Micro Q?

Post by Mpresev » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:55 am

I'm thinking of 1 more synth to accompany my Ion. This bloke is selling it to me for 250.00. I checked it out and seems to be working really well. My friend, what you tell me about the Virus A? I don't have any bread to spare a Virus B or C as it's too pricey right now for me atleast. 250.0 is what I have. Is it a good synth? Thanks all.

Micro Q, sounds good too but I've always wanted a Virus anyway..
THe Micro Q is 25 voices, 16 part multi also for the same price if I shop around. Which sounds better ?

I've been in the studio since 10 am and it's already almost 11pm. I'm tired.. All I'm hearing is "booom, choook, ping, bling, wannnngg, chuuuungg."

Oh, I'm picking up the Virus A tomorrow morning. Plus it's 16 part multi and 12 voice.. Good enough..

Thanks my lads for all your help.

Mpresev

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:02 am

The Micro Q is the deeper synth (with the mod matrix and all that) but when I initially was looking for my first VA, I had my eyes on the Virus, too. The A has more control, but in the end it's mostly about the character. If you like that of the Virus better, go for that; they have overlap, but not -that- much.

Still, I'd just save up some more and go for the B. Patience is a virtue.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:36 am

I had choice of all of the above... I chose the Nova.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Virus A or Micro Q?

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:34 am

Mpresev wrote:Micro Q, sounds good too but I've always wanted a Virus anyway..
I don't think that you're going to be happy to get a uQ if you've always wanted a Virus..both are good synths but different sounding, imho a bit contrary but complementing each other. I would say that the virus is always sounds dirtier than the uQ. while the uQ can sound harsher and more powerful. both going to be a nice addition to the ION. but, the Virus with a better interface could be a nice earlier addition.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:02 pm

I got it.. I picked it up early this morning. I hooked it up and right now I've been playing with the filters. I don't know what serial filters mean though. I have to get use to the Osc too as well. Oh and the manual is well you know long. 2 OSC for this one.. That's good. 250.00 for this unit, very happy. Alright, this is my synth set up for now. I could of got the Micro Q for 200.00 too.

Thanks all for your help.

was there a lot of Virus A sold? I don't see a lot of it .

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:02 pm

Serial filters are when one filter is routed directly into another. You end up filtering a filtered audio signal. Parallel is when the audio signal is split and one path leads to one filter and the other leads to the remaining filter.

I'm sure you will love your Virus. It will probably be easier for you to work around than the uQ. Personally I like them both, but I own a Q Rack.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:54 am

Go Virus, they are all great synths with great interfaces.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:26 am

now get that cheap uQ :) make sure that it's not the lite version, coz $200 for the full uQ is nice.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:23 pm

this might be a funny question but when you kids got your Virus, did you ever had a hard time programming and understanding the menus ? Did you get used to programming it ?

crow

Post by crow » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:55 pm

Mpresev wrote:this might be a funny question but when you kids got your Virus, did you ever had a hard time programming and understanding the menus ? Did you get used to programming it ?
Remember that big Very long thing you got ? The manual ?? have a read. :idea:
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

crow

Post by crow » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:57 pm

...and the Virus A sold 13432. But they lost count / interest, when the B appeared.
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:21 pm

Well, yeah, some things aren't always placed consistently (if you'd compare it to other manufacturers; the fact that synthesizers have different words for the same concepts should already say enough) and require some headscratching. The B, C and TI still do that; the TI just has a software editor and 3 "soft knobs" that make life easier, the C has 2 soft knobs.
Most of the important parameters are directly accessible, though.

The best thing to do is just to memorize the location of the items in the menu - knowing what goes in SYSTEM and what goes elsewhere already saves a bunch of effort. Another solution would be to get a controller and assign the parameters deeper in the menu to the knobs.

Seriously, it's the same with my ESI4000 (which is the reason I'm not using it anymore) - too much menu-diving.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:41 pm

crow wrote:
Mpresev wrote:this might be a funny question but when you kids got your Virus, did you ever had a hard time programming and understanding the menus ? Did you get used to programming it ?
I was able to get the tutorial by Howard Scarr today.. I'll read that tonight. I want to really really get to know it.

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:46 pm

...ha ha ha, Crow...be nice... :lol:

Yeah, RTFM but also read the Howard Scarr Tutorial (both online at Access) and the Sound on Sound Virus B/C tutorial (online at SOS, of course).

The manual is pretty good at tellling you what's there but the other two tell you how and why of some of the wilder presets.

crow

Post by crow » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:46 pm

Mpresev wrote:
crow wrote:
I was able to get the tutorial by Howard Scarr today.. I'll read that tonight. I want to really really get to know it.
Yes. That will help. However i have to point out that Howard Scarr has hippy symptoms. BLATANT.
never trust a hippy. :idea:
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!