A cheapest tr-like drummachine for sequencing a dr-like?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bandreject

A cheapest tr-like drummachine for sequencing a dr-like?

Post by bandreject » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi! I need a cheap drummachine that can sequence boss dr-550 throu midi using interface like in tr-909.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: A cheapest tr-like drummachine for sequencing a dr-like?

Post by JSRockit » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:04 pm

bandreject wrote:Hi! I need a cheap drummachine that can sequence boss dr-550 throu midi using interface like in tr-909.
TR-707?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:12 pm

Anything with Tr style editing is going to cost more than the Dr.

The Dr. 550 was my first drum machine. I don't recall it being hard to program.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:13 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:
The Dr. 550 was my first drum machine. I don't recall it being hard to program.
Yeah, you basically hit record and tap the beat in with your fingers...

altemark

Post by altemark » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:06 pm

bandreject wrote:Hi! I need a cheap drummachine that can sequence boss dr-550 throu midi using interface like in tr-909.
Korg ER-1. Cheap, OK step sequencer + limited but nice VA drum sounds

bandreject

Post by bandreject » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:45 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:The Dr. 550 was my first drum machine. I don't recall it being hard to program.
I bought a dr-550 on ebay, and now wait for it (from ukaudiosales - are they confident?). Is it hard to program it? I mean not by taping, but by editing. How the pattern selection is done? Is it fun to use it live? Is it possible to mute separate drum parts? When you want to use it as a midi module, the kit is mapped on octave (for example c-4 bd,c#4 ch, d-4 sd etc.)?

I heard that only tr drummachine that can be programmed while changing patterns is the tr-606. Since tr-626 is an "younger digital brother" of it, maybe it have this advantage also.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:19 am

bandreject wrote:
micahjonhughes wrote:The Dr. 550 was my first drum machine. I don't recall it being hard to program.
I bought a dr-550 on ebay, and now wait for it (from ukaudiosales - are they confident?). Is it hard to program it? I mean not by taping, but by editing. How the pattern selection is done? Is it fun to use it live? Is it possible to mute separate drum parts? When you want to use it as a midi module, the kit is mapped on octave (for example c-4 bd,c#4 ch, d-4 sd etc.)?

I heard that only tr drummachine that can be programmed while changing patterns is the tr-606. Since tr-626 is an "younger digital brother" of it, maybe it have this advantage also.
crikey-that's a lot of questions to be asking once you've already bought something!

the dr. 550, like all the Dr. series is easy to learn and use. I'm not sure about the 550, but the 770 had the ability to assign different patterns to individual pads for live triggering.

but is you really want to get that XOX feel for cheap, I'd recommend the 626 as you mentioned, or even the 505 which is usually cheaper. both you can get for under $60 tho.
Do you even post on vse bro?

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:24 am

To answer your questions, read the manual. You can get it from www.rolandus.com

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:but is you really want to get that XOX feel for cheap, I'd recommend the 626 as you mentioned, or even the 505 which is usually cheaper. both you can get for under $60 tho.
The 505 and 626 are programmed the same way as the 550 :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:07 pm

get a tenori-on! :lol: :lol:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:26 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:but is you really want to get that XOX feel for cheap, I'd recommend the 626 as you mentioned, or even the 505 which is usually cheaper. both you can get for under $60 tho.
Does the 550 have the graphic LCD / TR type layout in its window for step sequencing like the 626 and 505 do?

bandreject

Post by bandreject » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:17 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:crikey-that's a lot of questions to be asking once you've already bought something!
Yeah, I wanted a dr-202, but somebody bided amount I couldn't handle, then I saw this cheep dr-550 with buy-it-now, so I didn't wanted to wait until somebody buys it earlier. Probably a stupid thing, but who really cares, if it won't be useful, then I can always give it to someone that practices guitar playing or something, so it wont waste.

what's crikey?
micahjonhughes wrote:To answer your questions, read the manual. You can get it from www.rolandus.com
I already have it, read few things out of it, but it is hard to focus on it, when you don't have the machine in front of you.
StepLogik wrote:get a tenori-on! :lol: :lol:
Is it fat?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:05 am

meatballfulton wrote:
erm... no they aren't.. they're programmed either by "step" which in the 505/626 case means across the 16 step grid -like any other XOX, or "tap" which is just realtime -like any drum machine ever made.

the 550 is either tap, or step as well, but in step mode, you have to literally "step" through each quantized note, putting the drum sounds down as you go. this is how you would program any typical drum machine without the XOX-style pad/16th note interface.

the latter's obviously a lot slower and cumbersome, but allows far greater programming detail especially as you can program individual velocities and at finer quantization.
bandreject wrote: what's crikey?
ha... like, australian for "jeepers" or something. just mixin it up linguistically a little :D
Do you even post on vse bro?

bandreject

Post by bandreject » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:06 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:the latter's obviously a lot slower and cumbersome, but allows far greater programming detail especially as you can program individual velocities and at finer quantization.
What do you mean by finer quantization? Is it possible to get additional steps for bigger resolution, or program note delays for groove/resolution?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:09 pm

bandreject wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:the latter's obviously a lot slower and cumbersome, but allows far greater programming detail especially as you can program individual velocities and at finer quantization.
What do you mean by finer quantization? Is it possible to get additional steps for bigger resolution, or program note delays for groove/resolution?
Instead of only having 16 steps per bar, you can have 32 steps per bar...if I remember correctly... I haven't used a DR since 1998.