Top 3 synths you want, but cannot bring yourself to buy?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Top 3 synths you want, but cannot bring yourself to buy?

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:13 pm

What are your Top 3 synths you want, but cannot bring yourself to buy? Reasons for not buying could be that they are priced way above what you think is a fair price, you already have something that does the job fine, you don't want to deal with maintenence issues, etc.

(Note: this isn't necessarily about picking the 3 most expensive synths, just ones that you have always wanted to try, but can't bring yourself to buy them)

1: EDP Wasp - Always wanted one, but I feel I've missed the boat since they are too much money these days.

2: EMS VCS3 - Always wanted to try it, but not practical for my type of music.

3: Metasonix S1000 - Just costs too much and wouldn't be used enough.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:21 pm

1. Mono/Poly: Had a 20 minute love affair with it, and almost convinced the owner to sell it to me for a GOOD price but he backed out and I can't justify paying today's prices for it after almost getting it for cheap.

2. Juno 6/60/106: I want one of these reeeeal bad, but it would be pointless as I have too many single osc, six voice polysynths. A Juno wouldn't add anything new to my sound.

3. CS-80: If I could I would :D
Monkey business since 2007!

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

cant buy synth?

Post by Mr Knesh » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:23 pm

My list would include

1: The Roland JP8000 or JP8080.
This is a piece that has been stamped "|G>A|S" by me for
a while. I already own the V-synth which already has the
VA sound generator in it, plus more. There is just something
about its look....

2: The Access Virus series.
I adore the sounds that can be made with these synths but
they are just too expensive right now. Maybe when I finish
gathering the rest of my recording equipment.... Not likely.

3: The Roland SH-32.
A friend of mine owned one of these a number of years ago
and he has since moved to another city. I really enjoyed the
little synth, but my sound priorities always lay elsewhere.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:29 pm

The top 3 that I'd be interested in messing with first and then deciding if they're worth all the hype and miney would be: Elka Synthex, OB-MX (with at least 8 voices) and Omega 8.

I just talked my local GC to order a P08 so I can demo it before taking the plunge. Guess they'll give me a call in a few weeks when they get it in.

Z
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Bob-omb

Post by Bob-omb » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:36 pm

1. Yamaha CS80
Too expensive and too fragile. Wouldn't want to service it or have it serviced. They aren't cheap either... another minus for me.
But it is still the most organic, amazing sounding and beautiful analog synthesizer ever built IMO. Fantastic!

2. Roland JD800
Prices are right but maintance is h**l. That's what keeps me from buying one. If I had a totally dust free room to put it then maybe..
But it is still the most organic, amazing sounding and beautiful digital synthesizer ever built IMO. Fantastic!

3. Mellotron
Nothing sounds like a good old Mellotron. I have loved these machines for a long long time and played a few over the years. Sounds are amazing!
But why bother with maintance and high prices when Gmedia has made the Mtron?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:41 pm

With my recent aversion to vintage analog polysynths that siphon cash out of my wallet, I think my top 3 list needs revision:

1) DSI P08
2) Future-Retro XS
3) Creamware ASB Prodyssey

REwire

Post by REwire » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:59 pm

Yamaha CS-80 - Not Midi and prob in the 6K range if it did. Way too heavy and big.

MemoryMoog - most potential repair probs of any synth I've heard of. It's 26 or more CEMS are rare. LAMM versions would be only one I'd want and it's up there as well.

Arp 2500 - These are getting above 10K.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:13 pm

studio electronics atc-1 ???

sequential circuits prophet 5 someone always gets to the "deal" ones before me..this weekend one pop up on craigslist for 1,000..person claims its fully fucntioning and he has reciepts for the last service from wine country...no email back

moog sonic six havent came across a fully functioning one with a price I am willing to pay. 2500, 3200, 4500...no, no, no
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:32 pm

Moog Model III- I know somebody who wants to get rid of his for about $300 but I don't really want it because it doesn't have MIDI and it can't fit on my desk or in a normal road case. Kinda fun to play with though.

Roland JX-3p
- Really awesome but, I feel like some other synths could fill in for it. It has a sequencer and thats cool but it doesn't have enough unique tricks that make me want it enough.

Moog Minimoog
- If I had the money I would get one right now. I don't though, and by the time I can afford to spend money like that they will be going for way too much.
Last edited by Alex E on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:33 pm

Here's three I want, but will probably never own:

Prophet 5, rev 2 - SSM muscle, but I just couldn't afford getting it serviced too often, given my luck.

Hammond L100 - despite being a smaller organ than the beautiful C3, I just don't have the space for one.

Polymoog Keyboard - Vox Humana. Maintenance.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:53 pm

:P

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:46 am

sequential pro one - the holy grail of mono synths for industrial/experimental music, but they are prone to problems and getting pricey in a great big hurry.
i could just get an MEK instead, but that is still out of my price range.

roland alpha juno - 3 osc and smaller than my 106 with no worries of component failure make it desirable, but the lack of immediacy (one knob) makes it a someday synth. that and the fact that i'm still in love with my 106, bad chip and all.

roland tr606 - an analog drum machine for a reasonable price? i'll take one! wait, what do you mean you can't edit the sounds?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:50 am

I could probably name 30... Here's 3 for now:

Virus TI polar - I just can't justify spending that kind of cash on a VA

DSI DEVO - The price is right but I see a lot of people get these and turn around and sell them and I've seen a lot of complaints about the programming matrix.

Polivoks - I've almost bought one multiple times but just didn't at the last minute. I think the combination of dealing with someone in a nation outside of ebay protection, paying more than it's worth as far as sound and capabilities go (let's face it, it's expensive because it's a novelty), probably not being able to find anyone local to fix it if issues arrive, and having to install CV or midi myself on a synth that I can't easily get repaired are all big deterrents. Luck for me they seem to be coming down in price and I might just do it before too long.

How about 4:

MS-20 - it seems like as the price goes up it is always just a couple hundred more than I'm willing to pay at the time.
Last edited by otto on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:58 am

MEK - Because I could only afford one hardware synth for gigging and it would have to be poly...

Elektron Machinedrum - I'd love to have one, especially for messing about with at university on my free time, but I can't justify or afford the price for a drum machine while struggling to pay tuition and car insurance.

Elektron Monomachine - Pretty much the same as above.

The interesting connection between all of those is that they are pieces of hardware I would actually use in the studio, while more generic hardware like a nord lead would only be used live, since its so much easier to just use software in the studio.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:02 am

Elektron monomachine - only 6 note digital polyphony at this price?..maybe I wouldnt mind if you could split it as a 3note voice and 3 mono's.

Prophet 08 - Price

Waldorf Q+ - Price once again! Hoping to get a q rack sometime though which should satisfy me.