The gas builds till I fart $$$!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

The gas builds till I fart $$$!

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:34 pm

It's like this:

I see so many things that I want, gear wise. It never ends; doesn't even take a pause. But I resist. there are bills to pay, goals to be achieved, and other more responsible things I should be thinking of. But then...

The transmission in my truck breaks down, and coincidentally my fuel pump decides to die at the same time. Thousands of dollars in unexpected bills, and I have to wonder why I don't just go the distance and add the cost of a good synth while I'm at it. I'm sure I need to think about it but I'll suffer later anyways.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't ? How can I guarantee this is the way? Aren't we all f**k eventually? If not, I'm a lying asshole.
Oh well!
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

Acid Mitch

Re: The gas builds till I fart $$$!

Post by Acid Mitch » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:54 pm

theotherleadingbrand wrote:

goals to be achieved
So you have goals that don't include studio equipment ?
theotherleadingbrand wrote: The transmission in my truck breaks down, and coincidentally my fuel pump decides to die at the same time. Thousands of dollars in unexpected bills, and I have to wonder why I don't just go the distance and add the cost of a good synth while I'm at it.
I'm also wondering whyyou don't just go the distance and add the cost of a good synth while you're at it.Do you know what you're going to get yet ?

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:23 pm

I often put costs that pop up (like my last speeding ticket, property tax, giant phone bill due to roaming costs in the US) in terms of how many synths I'm not going to be buying..

also..

you get my vote for Worst Thread title of the month..
:wink:

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:28 pm

the last one I had was 5,000 medical bill for a non-surgery illness...my insurance company didnt pick up any of it...I was currently in cobra coverage and 4 states over when it happen..non approved ER visit, non approved hospital, non approved doctor....
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:42 am

wiss wrote:the last one I had was 5,000 medical bill for a non-surgery illness...my insurance company didnt pick up any of it...I was currently in cobra coverage and 4 states over when it happen..non approved ER visit, non approved hospital, non approved doctor....
oh man!!! that sucketh..

do you know how many microkorgs you could have bought with that?
lots!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:44 am

Ok, since I got into synths, I've been able to afford buying equipment while not doing it on credit. However, there was a point in my life where I had $17,000 in credit card debt... and a few years later all I had to show for it was a whole load of CDs (many not so good), sneakers, some clothes and a toy or two...but nothing I would consider worth $17,000 in total.

It is truly better to resist until you can afford to give up the cash with no repurcusions. These days, I'm debt free... gas free...have money saved...and now it is time to buy a house. I'll soon be back in debt again...woohoo!
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:08 am

if you dont have kids, go for it. nothing wrong with eating cheap food and not having gas for various adventures and so forth.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:28 am

wiss wrote:the last one I had was 5,000 medical bill for a non-surgery illness...my insurance company didnt pick up any of it...I was currently in cobra coverage and 4 states over when it happen..non approved ER visit, non approved hospital, non approved doctor....
Doesn't the health system in this country makes us ill even if we were perfectly healthy to begin with!
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:56 am

I've been trying to save for a Voyager for about a year now. Every time my savings account gets close, it's completely depleted again. I'm starting once again from zero...

And yeah, not the most pleasant thread title.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:55 am

Buying a modular is probably the best and worst thing I could have done.
Now I focus on only ONE synth, at least, but I will always want more modules, another rack here, a sequencer there..all expensive stuff when you add it together.

Click the blue link in my signature to see my current config.
Now I'm lusting for the RS200 sequencer (EXPENSIVE!)

It has its own 3U rack w/ 2 extra modules installed, a voltage quantizer, slew generator (portamento) and sequential switch..me wantsssssss.
Same functionality as the Moog modular sequencer + some extra bells and whistles. Of course I'd like a couple more VCOs, maybe a moog clone filter, separate LFO's etc etc etc

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:12 am

AWESOME THREAD TITLE!

I had to buy four tires for my car ... and next a new mattress for my aching back ... easily the cost of a nice digital mixer and new DAW software ...

DEVIL!
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:05 am

The bad thing for me about money is the time I spend earning it when I could be at home (studio) working on somthing more pleasing. So I try not to spend too much on all the amazing tech that keeps floating unbidden into my concioousness.... actually that's not true i do spend a lot of time looking for it! Ah! so get an ebay (or wjatever) ban so you don't know it exists.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:32 am

i know how you feel. ive been wanting a new synth and drum machine and im pretty much all saved up for it and now my girlfriend and i have an anniversary coming up, then her b-day, then christmas... then it gets really slow at work...plus were trying to save up to buy a place to live. then some times you just have to bite the bullet and splurge and pray that nothing goes wrong for a couple months. thats what i did when i bought my moog.

PS i keep seeing people use the term GAS, what does that stand for?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:34 am

GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome. It's a disease that affects all kinds of musicians. Luckily, we just want synths. They're relatively cheap compared to vintage guitars or cars.

Plus it's an endless source of fart jokes

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:00 pm

ahhh....I DEFINATELY have alot of Gas!