DSI should make these...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:59 am

megawatt wrote:To bring this all back to topic...
Yeah right. :)

megawatt wrote:DSI should make whatever the h**l he wants.

I've just played my new P8 and WOW. this changes everything...

I'll see yall in a few days.
Oh... it arrived. Congrats. I'll be interested to hear your comments about it. Seems like everyone else who has gotten one is into less cutting-edge music.

reset

Post by reset » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:34 am

I think it will be great if DSI incorporated one P08 or at least one Evo voice in the BoomChick.

To further expand on that concept I wish there was a box out with Elektron MnM sequencing and arp capabilities, one voice of Little Phatty along with a similar UI, Jomox XB09 drums, FR Mobius CV/Gate/Clock interface options, and slots for 3 or 4 samples in the vein of UW.

Now that would be nice, but I guess I'm dreaming here.......
LP TE/MonoMachine/XB09/SH101/09

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:19 am

megawatt wrote:To bring this all back to topic...

DSI should make whatever the h**l he wants.

I've just played my new P8 and WOW. this changes everything...

I'll see yall in a few days.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:09 am

ThinkTanx wrote:Seems like everyone else who has gotten one is into less cutting-edge music.
Well, what are you implying? Prog Rock synth solo wankery or hmmmmmmmm, I would say electro and industrial from the 80's to present but, the first is the only one thats boring and uninteresting IMHO. I know the Prophet was massively popular in the early industrial scene(before it became industrial-metal and then goth-trance). I'm not attacking you, I'm just interested in what your opinion is of whats "cutting edge".

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:50 am

Suburban Bather wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:Seems like everyone else who has gotten one is into less cutting-edge music.
Well, what are you implying? Prog Rock synth solo wankery or hmmmmmmmm, I would say electro and industrial from the 80's to present but, the first is the only one thats boring and uninteresting IMHO. I know the Prophet was massively popular in the early industrial scene(before it became industrial-metal and then goth-trance). I'm not attacking you, I'm just interested in what your opinion is of whats "cutting edge".
Eh... I wouldn't read too much into it. It was a pretty flippant comment. Point being that a lot of the demo's I had heard were kind of 'by the book'. I generally like sounds that are more on the outer edge, if that makes any sense.

I'm not sure what you're on about with the Prog rock wankery, and electro and industrial music from the 80's. We are talking about the Prophet '08 here. The one that came out about two weeks ago.

Other than that, I generally agree with your assessment of prog rock, 80's electro, and early industrial. Give me some of the last two, hold the first.

:)

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:56 am

ThinkTanx wrote:
Suburban Bather wrote:
Eh... I wouldn't read too much into it. It was a pretty flippant comment. Point being that a lot of the demo's I had heard were kind of 'by the book'. I generally like sounds that are more on the outer edge, if that makes any sense.

I'm not sure what you're on about with the Prog rock wankery, and electro and industrial music from the 80's. We are talking about the Prophet '08 here. The one that came out about two weeks ago.

Other than that, I generally agree with your assessment of prog rock, 80's electro, and early industrial. Give me some of the last two, hold the first.

I think he thinks you like wanking out on your Voyager to some Rush or something... :lol:
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:50 am

Neonlights84 wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:
Suburban Bather wrote: Well, what are you implying? Prog Rock synth solo wankery or hmmmmmmmm, I would say electro and industrial from the 80's to present but, the first is the only one thats boring and uninteresting IMHO. I know the Prophet was massively popular in the early industrial scene(before it became industrial-metal and then goth-trance). I'm not attacking you, I'm just interested in what your opinion is of whats "cutting edge".

I think he thinks you like wanking out on your Voyager to some Rush or something... :lol:
Ok, sorry! I was kinda drunk when I posted that. I get a little over pasionate about little things sometimes. Prog rock still makes me wanna vomit though :P

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:43 pm

Hmmm... It seems I cannot wait for DSI to make anything new, and the vintage game annoys me...so that leaves me with two choices... the MEK or the LP... hmmm...

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:49 pm

Suburban Bather wrote:Prog rock still makes me wanna vomit though :P
Most certainly something we can agree on.
JSRockit wrote:Hmmm... It seems I cannot wait for DSI to make anything new, and the vintage game annoys me...so that leaves me with two choices... the MEK or the LP... hmmm...
But you had the MEK before, right? Do you miss it at all?

For me personally, the MEK is second on my list behind only a 777, right now. On paper, the MEK sounds perfect for me. Built-in seq., capable of some far-out tones, feedback, distortion, some VS emulation (one of my favorite all-time synths), etc.

In my mind, it would be a perfect playmate for the Elektron boxes. How did it play with your MnM tone-wise, Rockit?

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:50 pm

JSRockit wrote:Hmmm... It seems I cannot wait for DSI to make anything new, and the vintage game annoys me...so that leaves me with two choices... the MEK or the LP... hmmm...
Get one of each. And don't sell either. Ever.

No, seriously. Don't.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:58 pm

JackAstro wrote:
Get one of each. And don't sell either. Ever.

No, seriously. Don't.
:oops:

:lol:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:12 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:
But you had the MEK before, right? Do you miss it at all?

For me personally, the MEK is second on my list behind only a 777, right now. On paper, the MEK sounds perfect for me. Built-in seq., capable of some far-out tones, feedback, distortion, some VS emulation (one of my favorite all-time synths), etc.

In my mind, it would be a perfect playmate for the Elektron boxes. How did it play with your MnM tone-wise, Rockit?
Yeah, I miss it a bit... out of everything I've bought and sold...the MEK and the Sidstation are the ones I regret selling. When I bought them, I was not ready for them. I've learned alot since then and would be able to handle them better now. That said, I still just want only a no nonsense two osc analog synth... so the LP fits this better than the MEK.

I didn't use the MEK with the Mono... I'm a bit weird, I'm not the kind to use all synths on one song...I generally use two synths and drum machine on all songs. So, the two never met up while I had the MEK. Unfortunately, the MEK never got used in a recording of mine...I sold it pretty quickly. Plus, the MEK is very similar to the Monomachine in a few ways on the digital side... both offer tons of routing options (LFOs and sequencers), etc. I feel the MEK takes some restraint... I was always a bit too heavy handed on that synth... using too many effects and digital nonsense. For digital these days...the MnM is my go to synth and I'm satisfied with just continuing to learn how to use it better and better. To me, the perfect playmate for my Elektron stuff is a true VCO analog... I can make all the digital noise I need in the Elektrons...and then add some balance with a true analog.

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:16 pm

Now I know JS that you'd prefer a mono and to keep it around $1000...

All I can say is that having gone through an (equally?) lengthy search for the perfect subtractive analog synth and that the P8 ends the journey. I can't think of anything else I'd want from it as it delivers - as much I LOVE the evolvers they have always been a hybrid/loop synth to me and if you're looking for just an analog the digital clipping could be a turnoff. The P8 easily equals the low end of my Voyager -is compact and has a huge range of sounds from warm and fuzzy too liquid, bubbling and searing. It also has a great set of presets to get you started in the right direction vs the MEK which as you know requires work.

I'm sure the LP is awesome - but feature wise and more importantly sound wise I'm not sure it could stand up to the P8 though they are obviously in a different league $ wise - I've begun to look at the Voyager RME a little differently now as I've been easily matching it's role in my studio with the P8 as a bass and drum instrument....

The unison mode is HUGE too for you mono lovers... unless Dave plans on adding Jesus/Satan to the potential P1 this would be missed. Also the split later function on the P8 is AWESOME for complex tones. Something that the LP would not offer.

As far as DCO vs VCO - please, use your ears and the P8 will shut up ANYONE who cares to argue about modern DCO's.

Just sayin... my personal honeymoon period aside - you should try and at least play on the P8 before you drop a grand on an LP/MEK.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:28 pm

JSRockit wrote:I didn't use the MEK with the Mono... I'm a bit weird, I'm not the kind to use all synths on one song...I generally use two synths and drum machine on all songs. So, the two never met up while I had the MEK. Unfortunately, the MEK never got used in a recording of mine...I sold it pretty quickly. Plus, the MEK is very similar to the Monomachine in a few ways on the digital side... both offer tons of routing options (LFOs and sequencers), etc. I feel the MEK takes some restraint... I was always a bit too heavy handed on that synth... using too many effects and digital nonsense. For digital these days...the MnM is my go to synth and I'm satisfied with just continuing to learn how to use it better and better. To me, the perfect playmate for my Elektron stuff is a true VCO analog... I can make all the digital noise I need in the Elektrons...and then add some balance with a true analog.
Yeah, I feel like I am constantly learning with the MnM, too. In a very good way though. Maybe constantly 'discovering' is a better word. In regards to the MnM vs. the MEK, the one thing that I haven't been overly impressed with on the MnM is the wavetable-type sequencing. I will concede that maybe I'm just not very good with programming it yet. How is the MEK in that department?
Last edited by ThinkTanx on Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:33 pm

megawatt wrote:
Now I know JS that you'd prefer a mono and to keep it around $1000...

All I can say is that having gone through an (equally?) lengthy search for the perfect subtractive analog synth and that the P8 ends the journey.
Just sayin... my personal honeymoon period aside - you should try and at least play on the P8 before you drop a grand on an LP/MEK.
I'm sure the P8 is great... and I have no problem with DCOs, but I don't want to spend that kind of cash on one synth anymore and it is too big for the space I have to use it. The Voyager was even too big lol.