best 'sounding' digital synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
odradek

Post by odradek » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:18 pm

I vote for the Waldorf Q and the Roland V-Synth. You may think that the Q is a typical VA, but it's much more than this - I love the FM-sounds for example! You could use the V-Synth as a VA, too - if you don't have any clue, what to do else with it...

Odradek
Waldorf Q / Waldorf Microwave / Waldorf Pulse / Roland V-Synth / Roland Juno-106 / Roland System 100M / Jomox AirBase 99 / Native Instruments Komplete
-------------------------------------
http://www.klangkomplex.de

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:04 pm

of those i had owned or played:

Roland JD-990
Yamaha FS1R
Emulator III*
Waldorf MicroWave*

(*not entirely on topic as they feature analog filtering, but what beautiful sound)

those i only heard demos of:

Kyma Capybara
Hartmann Neuron (on my to-get list)
Creamware Modular III with Flexor
Nord Modular -original

i have high hopes for Solaris. if it turns out all it promises to be.. its might easily become the ultimate digital synth for me.
Last edited by clusterchord on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:16 pm

weirdly of all the stuff I've played it has to be the d-50 for me. there's an upfront brightness and glassiness there you don't get from the jd-800 which takes you somewhere else and, they're a massive bargain now too.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:16 am

gallant steve wrote:the d-50...there's an upfront brightness and glassiness there you don't get from the jd-800 which takes you somewhere else
exactly what I felt when I just couldn't get it from my JD-990.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:33 pm

brilliant synth, isn't it -- the tone is just so pure and bright .