The bells!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodork64

The bells!

Post by commodork64 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:00 pm

I need to know what synths were used to make that distinctive bell (tubular?) sound that especially, Arthur Baker liked using. A couple of examples are:

New Order - Confusion (main melody line)
Nu Shooz - I can't Wait (intro)

I got a sample of a digibell from a Yamaha FM module (not sure which one now) and it's close but not right on the money.

Any thought?

The Manitou

Post by The Manitou » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:34 pm

Having listened to a clip of "Confusion" I've discovered this is the exact same bell sound I've been trying to identify myself for some time now! It also appears on these songs:

Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat (occur most noticeably at 1:51)
Sparks - Love Scenes (main riff)
Gary Numan - Miracles (throughout the track)
David Bowie - Magic Dance from Labyrinth Soundtrack (2:38 )
Pink Floyd - Yet Another Movie

The only clue I have is both Sparks "Pulling Rabbits..." album plus Gary Numan's "The Fury" were both made chiefly with Roland synths. But which Rolands in particular I don't know. My best guess would be something along the lines of a D50.

I absolutely love the sound. Here's hoping someone has the answer!

Cheers,
-TM
Gear: Novation K-Station; Roland Alpha Juno-1, SP-404; Yamaha CS-5, CS01; Crumar Performer; Casio CZ-1000, SK-1 & 2; Akai S1000; Stylophone; circuit-bent stuff.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:44 pm

Kind of a generic sound. You could certainly make something nearly identical on any FM synth.

Bell sounds can also be made with a ring modulator.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:15 pm

If i'm not mistaken, the bell sound on Confusion was coming out of an Emulator. I have no idea where the original sample came from, but I agree that it's a digital synth. It could have been an early DX.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:00 pm

The bells on "Confusion" and "Yet Another Movie" sound like DX7 to me. I had to take another listne to Confustion before posting, because I thought I remembered the bells having more of a Juno sound. I remembered wrong. I heard that a JX-10 was used on Momentary Lapse of Reason, but the bells on "Movie" do not sound like a JX to me.

Like Micah said, those bell sounds are pretty generic and shouldn't be too difficult to emulate.

Z
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 pm

DX7. Most likely based on the DX7 Tubular Bells preset, like the Taco Bell soundlogo.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

The Manitou

Post by The Manitou » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:18 pm

Wow, DX7... I never would have guessed, but it's obvious now. Commodork, if you check this link there's an mp3 demo of the DX7's tubular bells preset:

http://www.synthmania.com/dx7.htm

I take back my recent panning of this synth, for that sound alone ;)

Cheers,
-TM
Gear: Novation K-Station; Roland Alpha Juno-1, SP-404; Yamaha CS-5, CS01; Crumar Performer; Casio CZ-1000, SK-1 & 2; Akai S1000; Stylophone; circuit-bent stuff.

Dano

Post by Dano » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:39 pm

"I can't Wait" definitely sounds to me like there's a lot of DX7 in it, including the bass.

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:28 pm

By the way, there were a few presets like this bell in the original FM7.
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

oceanbourne

Post by oceanbourne » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:32 am

Yep. As others have said, DX-7. The D-50 certainly has some choice bell sounds too, but it post-dates some of the songs mentioned.
Oceanbourne

http://www.myspace.com/faeroerne

Bösendorfer 170, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland Juno-G, Nord Lead 2X, Roland SH-201, microKorg, Ensoniq EPS-16+, Novation X-Station, CME-UF7 (for softsynths & Kontakt).

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:32 pm

The Manitou wrote:Having listened to a clip of "Confusion" I've discovered this is the exact same bell sound I've been trying to identify myself for some time now! It also appears on these songs:

Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat (occur most noticeably at 1:51)
Sparks - Love Scenes (main riff)
Gary Numan - Miracles (throughout the track)
David Bowie - Magic Dance from Labyrinth Soundtrack (2:38 )
Pink Floyd - Yet Another Movie

The only clue I have is both Sparks "Pulling Rabbits..." album plus Gary Numan's "The Fury" were both made chiefly with Roland synths. But which Rolands in particular I don't know. My best guess would be something along the lines of a D50.

I absolutely love the sound. Here's hoping someone has the answer!

Cheers,
-TM

As for Gary Numan; he used lots of PPG Wave on "The Fury" (as well as on "Berserker"). There's also some Roland JX-8P and OB-Xa on there.

Ron Mael used the following setup on "Pulling Rabbits..." (1984):
Yamaha DX-7
Roland Jupiter-8
Fairlight CMI

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:39 pm

Sounds similar to the bells from Giorgio Moroder's 'Ivory Tower' known from The Never Ending Story. I have never found out what he used for that.

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:29 pm

If the year is 1985-88, it's a digital-sounding part and you're wondering "what synth," chances are 50/50 it's a DX7. I know it hasn't aged as gracefully as analog synths of the period, but there are still a lot of killer sounds in that unit. I still break out my TX802 from time to time for bells, harps, marimbas and of course that electric piano.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

commodork64

Post by commodork64 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:13 pm

Thanks fellas, I guess I was already there with my TG samples and didn't realise it!