When to let go?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
micahjonhughes

When to let go?

Post by micahjonhughes » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:13 pm

When is the right time to let gear go?

For example, I have a FIZMO that I acquired in trade. Machinegiest brought it back to life and it sounds good. However, I don't use it. The presets are sounds I would never ever use, just not my thing. I could delve into editing and maybe learn to love it but I have other gear I use regularly and enjoy. So, for now the FIZMO sits.

How do you decide when it is time to thin the herd?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:45 pm

I decide generally when I no longer use the synth, and the money can be used towards something I think I will use more. However, I have let many a piece go to early only to buy it back because it truly was the best solution for me. With something like the Fizmo, you have to be sure you are truly done, since you don't see many for sale.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:12 am

I usually give it a few solid nights of messing around with it before I fully decide to sell. If I spend hours trying to come up with something inspiring and unique and it ain't getting there, then I usually end up selling it.

I also sometimes evaluate if my newer gear or software have made some of my dusty hardware redundant.. if so, then I sell sell sell

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:18 am

Yeah, that too... you HAVE to play it one more time before selling it. Everytime I go to sell my MicroKorg (of all things), I play it one last time and then I don't want to sell it anymore.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:40 am

There are two reasons I sell a synth:
1. Because I don't use it. (there are plenty of synths I have sold that I completely love... but if I don't use it, it's... well, of no use. Analog synths atrophy for me when I don't use them, so I am paranoid about having them around if I'm not using them)
2. Because there is something I want more which the sale of said synth will allow the purchase of
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: When to let go?

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:34 am

micahjonhughes wrote:When is the right time to let gear go?

For example, I have a FIZMO that I acquired in trade. Machinegiest brought it back to life and it sounds good. However, I don't use it. The presets are sounds I would never ever use, just not my thing. I could delve into editing and maybe learn to love it but I have other gear I use regularly and enjoy. So, for now the FIZMO sits.

How do you decide when it is time to thin the herd?
I wonder if that is my old Fiz...

can you do me a favor? do a sysex dump of banks A and B and mail them to me? I need some of those sounds back.

thanks,
matt
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

differentbydesign

Post by differentbydesign » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:03 pm

I dont sell anything anymore and never will.
Sold a lot of gear over the years and have regretted every sale except one a Jupiter 6.

Rgds

Ross
UF6, Pro 2K, 6 Tracks, SQR, DX-9, JV-880, JV-1080, MKS-70 , NI FM-7&8,Battery 3,Pro53,Absynth 4 Arturia MOOG Modular,2600V,CS-80 V, Minimoog V, Legacy Collection, RGC Pentagon,VirSyn Tera, Sonar 6.2, , Synth 1, MOTU Microlite, D-70, RX-11,Roland MC-500

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 pm

differentbydesign wrote:I dont sell anything anymore and never will.
Sold a lot of gear over the years and have regretted every sale except one a Jupiter 6.

Rgds

Ross
Same here. What I have now is staying with me for quite some time. I will upgrade a few pieces as time goes on, but as far as sellign to go a different route, not happening. I have what I need to make what I want. I am sick of buying and selling gear.

Also forgot to say that whatever I get from here on out will become an adition and not a purchase due to the sale of something else.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:19 pm

differentbydesign wrote:I dont sell anything anymore and never will.

Rgds

Ross
sorry for the ot, but...as one who at least thinks he wants a jup6 i was surprised that this was the one sale you haven't regretted. what wasn't doing it for you?

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:28 pm

Yeah, that too... you HAVE to play it one more time before selling it. Everytime I go to sell my MicroKorg (of all things), I play it one last time and then I don't want to sell it anymore.

Funnily enough, I've been thinking about letting mine go recently, but every time I come back to it I realise what fun it is, and yes, it can make some great sounds. It's convenient too sitting alongside my laptop.
Stephen(2)

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:There are two reasons I sell a synth:
1. Because I don't use it. (there are plenty of synths I have sold that I completely love... but if I don't use it, it's... well, of no use. Analog synths atrophy for me when I don't use them, so I am paranoid about having them around if I'm not using them)

2. Because there is something I want more which the sale of said synth will allow the purchase of
As above. In the past; also because I have brought gear that just didn't suit me; or not quite what I wanted; so traded up (in my mind) to new bits of kit.

Additionally for me is pure space limitations; need to settle down and buy a house one day with a dedicated studio. Then would probably never sell anything.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:44 am

my most ideal way to part with a synth is to fund another highly wanted gears which is most likely another synth.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:36 am

All of the above.

I've been accumulating gear for years but have only started selling things this summer. I've run out of room, and need the money from sales to put to other things - my taste is not getting cheaper.

Another reason for selling is to upgrade. I sold my CS01 because it wasn't flexible enough for me, and I have two bigger CSs that do what I want. The money from that went into a MEK.

I won't sell for the sake of it though. I've only sold things I am not using at all, things I want to upgrade, things that haven't got that special vibe for me anymore. Some stuff I rarely use but I have nothing else that does what it does, so I keep it.

And I second the idea of having one good solid go on something before selling. I've not sold much and haven't regretted any of it. The money has bought me much more appropriate gear.

yburn

Post by yburn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:12 am

I've got a few synths I love but just don't touch. They'll have to go. Being older synths they take up a load of space too. I don't have enough time to sit around playing with stuff, if I do I get no music written. The MEK will stay but I'm selling the rest to get an A6 or P8. Most of my outboard is also going except for the preamps.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

yburn

Post by yburn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:18 am

I've got a few synths I love but just don't touch. They'll have to go. Being older synths they take up a load of space too. I don't have enough time to sit around playing with stuff, if I do I get no music written. The MEK will stay but I'm selling the rest to get an A6 or P8. Most of my outboard is also going except for the preamps.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,