When to let go?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
yburn

Post by yburn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:18 am

I've got a few synths I love but just don't touch. They'll have to go. Being older synths they take up a load of space too. I don't have enough time to sit around playing with stuff, if I do I get no music written. The MEK will stay but I'm selling the rest to get an A6 or P8. Most of my outboard is also going except for the preamps.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:54 pm

Not using the FIZMO? h**l, man, I'm up in Chicago - give it here :)

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:27 pm

Thanks for all of the responses.

The biggest factor in my decision is that I'm not a collector but trying to make music. I don't want to waste time fiddling with gear that doesn't make the music I want to create.

The FIZMO is too modern sounding. Everything comes out super polished with nice rounded edges. I don't want to work too hard to get jagged ear wrenching noise out of it when that sound can be had from other gear.

There will always be that feeling that maybe I'm missing something. Just need to decide when to let go.

kevindustrial

Post by kevindustrial » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:11 pm

differentbydesign wrote:I dont sell anything anymore and never will.
Sold a lot of gear over the years and have regretted every sale except one a Jupiter 6.

Rgds

Ross
Man, I thought that but I have a couple synths I'd love to get rid of for some more vintage gear.

- Kevin
Access Indigo 2 - Clavia Nord Lead 2x - Roland JP-8000 - Yamaha DX-7, DX-7IIFD - Korg Prophecy - MicroKorg - Roland G707 - Roland V-drums w/ TD-6V

cyanotic-online.com
-our role models are machines-

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:10 am

Funny that you should start this thread because I am struggling right now with whether or not to sell my Voyager.

I'm just not getting enough use out of it to justify the cash that is in it. On the flip side, it is such a beautiful instrument, I've had it for close to three years now, and I know it is really gonna be hard to see it go.

I would replace it with a couple of things, one of which would most likely be an MEK.