I Love my Prophet 5, but need an alternative...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Dubserve

I Love my Prophet 5, but need an alternative...

Post by Dubserve » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:22 am

Hi

I have a Prophet 5 and I like the warm organic sound, but the one I have isn't very suitable for a midi implentation, so im looking for a synth that can give me some og the same warmth and "power" as the Pro 5 but have a midi input.....Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Thomas

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:53 am

Is suggesting the Prophet '08 too obvious?!

WDW

Post by WDW » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:56 am

MIDI kit for your P5...?

WD

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:30 am

what about the Prophet 600?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Dubserve

Post by Dubserve » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:26 pm

As I wrote the revision that i have isnt very suitable for midi and it is very expensive. Has anyone tryed the prophet 8 and the prophet 600 "against" the Prophet 5 ?

Im also interested in other manufactors :-)

Thanks a lot

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:32 pm

Jazzpunk wrote:Is suggesting the Prophet '08 too obvious?!
My thoughts exactly.

DS :lol: 8)
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:51 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:
Jazzpunk wrote:Is suggesting the Prophet '08 too obvious?!
My thoughts exactly.

DS :lol: 8)

Well folks are now just getting P8's off the line... It's probably a bit soon for may side by side comparisons. But what to you hope to achieve from that? It's going to sound different and won't try to be either one. There are a lot of hot demos for it now!

You want a modern analog poly that you can easily buy in stores and is bang up to date?

Prophet 08!
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:57 pm

Dubserve wrote:As I wrote the revision that i have isnt very suitable for midi and it is very expensive. Has anyone tryed the prophet 8 and the prophet 600 "against" the Prophet 5 ?

Im also interested in other manufactors :-)

Thanks a lot
Sell yours and buy one with midi installed. I think there is one on ebay right now.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Dubserve

Post by Dubserve » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:11 pm

I will try out the Prophet 8, but does anyone know anything about the Prophet T8 ?

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:23 pm

Dubserve wrote:I will try out the Prophet 8, but does anyone know anything about the Prophet T8 ?
Rare (350 made), expensive, great weighted 76 note keyboard (but prolly v expensive to fix). Probably an even bigger potential money pit than a Prophet 5 :wink:

All you need to know here :http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_ar ... 274b320189

I concur that the Prophet '08 may be what you're looking for. Plenty of demos around here.

I've always wanted a P5, but think that I'll settle for P'08. I'm only an amateur dabbler so can't really justify the real vintage deal.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:35 pm

Prophet T8 is nothing but a P600 with 8-note polyphony and velocity/poly after touch w beautiful weighted keyboard. so it actually sounds not as big as P5, but its UI makes up for it. also it has operations divied among several cpus, instead of just one in P600, so its less cpu-underpowered (no knob value jumping, faster sftw envelopes etc).

even tho it demos sound different to me from both P5 revisions, i think P08 is your best bet. it is ballpark of p5 character. unless you find important to have full polymod capability i.e. VCO crossmodulation and VCO to PWM mod. personally, i don't care as i intend to keep my P5, but am really excited about prospect of having a new CEM-ish modern polyphonic with velo/at, extra LFOs, mod matrix, arpeggiator and 4 x16 step sequencer - the latter i dig the most as i began using step seq and ptn approach more n more in my music.

other obvious solution is A6, which does ssm prophet quite well, esp when general idea is organic and warm vco pads. it has full polymod capabilities. that being said, if looking for typical P5 brassy and lead sounds i'd go with P8 over A6.

btw, if you are saying your P5 is hard to midify, i presume you got a Rev2 perhaps ? as midi kit for Rev3 is fairly simple to install and much cheaper. Greg Montalbano does it for really decent price.

so far, only Kenton makes a Rev2 midi retrofit, and its way overpriced and limited. there may be another coming out by encore pretty soon. but hard to tell since its in development phase. Encore will have a more modern implementation - midi CC control of all crucial parameters like filt, reso, adsr, filter env, and vco pitch..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Dubserve

Post by Dubserve » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:19 pm

Thanks for all the answers, I think im gonna try out the Prophet 8 probaly in sweden cause it is the place that is close to denmark, but does anyone know a place maybe in germany close to denmark ?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 pm

You don't have ANYONE in denmark that imports DSI? I know of only one i Norway, Prolyd in Oslo. Going there as soon as they get it (september/october) and try it out in their showroom w/ real speakers.

http://prolyd.no/

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:32 pm

clusterchord wrote:Prophet T8 is nothing but a P600 with 8-note polyphony and velocity/poly after touch w beautiful weighted keyboard. so it actually sounds not as big as P5, but its UI makes up for it. also it has operations divied among several cpus, instead of just one in P600, so its less cpu-underpowered (no knob value jumping, faster sftw envelopes etc).
wow, that's a pretty broad-stroked short-changing of the Prophet T8!

hey, i'm only a noob on this forum but this is the second thread (at least) that i've found this kind of write-off comment about the Prophet T8 being a glorified different keyboard version of the Prophet 600.

now, i'll state up front that i'm not a Prophet 600 owner nor an expert on it. i had an opportunity to buy one (from Gary of Images in Vogue who seem to be one of Micke's fave bands) years ago for cheap money but passed it onto a friend of a friend because it just seemed a little too stripped down (i.e., basic) in terms of the synth architecture for my taste.

personal prejudices seem to always come into play so in the interest of objectivity, i'll just offer some quotes from the Sound on Sound article on the Prophet T8:

"the rest of the T8 bears a remarkable similarity to the Prophet 5 it was intended to replace. The same VCO configuration and filtering as found on the earlier Prophet is implemented on the T8"

"The features which made the 'Sequential sound' so popular are still there to be found on the Prophet T8, particularly the Sync function, which allows oscillator B to modulate the filter, frequency or modulation width of oscillator A. Oscillator B was also now able to offer the elusive triangle waveform that was so obviously lacking in the Prophet 5 (oscillator A on both synths already had the triangle waveform). The filter panel would now allow fully variable keyboard tracking, and an additional rotary knob in the LFO mod section gave control of the initial LFO modulation amounts."

"First impressions of the T8 sound is that it is warmer and, in some subtle way, different to a Prophet 5. The same Curtis 3340 oscillators and 3372 VCFs (Voltage Controlled Filters) were used, but Sequential upgraded the VCAs from 3280s to the newer 3360s."

"As part of the research for this article I contacted much of the original development team at Sequential in the United States (who incidentally, to a person, all said they felt it was the best synth Sequential ever made)."

personally, with the Prophet T8, i haven't ever given half a moment of thought to wanting to step backward to get a Prophet 5.

so, for the person who asked about the Prophet T8, i would highly recommend accurately informing themselves by reading the previously referenced Sound on Sound article about it rather than just summarily dismissing it as a Prophet 600 with a wooden keyboard. it's only on this forum that i've ever seen this unflattering comparison. i'll leave it to you to judge the accuracy of that statement for yourself...

OK, i'm just going to add that i've had several conversations with Dave Smith at the various NAMM shows - enough for him to recognize me now as a proud Sequential customer. not once has he ever said to me (in a conspiratorial tone or otherwise) - you know those T8s were really just 600s with a different keyboard...

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:41 am

there's nothing i like better than an impassioned defence of a synth. 8)

i lusted after the T8 when it first came out in the early 80's. but there was no way i could afford one then.

now i could afford one but don't want to buy a 20 year old synth.

SO GIVE US A T8 '08 GODDAMIT!!! :angry4: