Single most crucial part of a synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:01 pm

stupid thread topic .. that's where it went wrong. Synths are a sum of it's parts.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:26 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:uh, listen up, uh, gaylord, lets all play nice please.
Ah, hello, Tallow. Thanks for defending me against unwarranted attack. As usual, you're providing a comfortable place where everyone's opinion is valid.

I was playing nice until I wasn't played nice with.
sorry for quoting dane cook at you...
Oh, man. I totally didn't catch the Dane Cook reference... and I have to admit, I love that guy. I think my response would have been different if I had.
tallowwaters wrote:lighten up man. so people joke about you being long winded or a blowhard and stuff. you made a pedantic post towards a straightforward question and somebody had a go at you about it. we all get a poke in the ribs from time to time. feel free to make fun of us synthwerx chat or whatever....
Fair enough. I can see how it would have come off as pedantic.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:34 pm

i_watch_stars wrote:
The problem is; the poster asked for a crucial part of a synth. I took this to mean a singular physical part, not a collection of parts, nor abstract properties such as "sound".
I fully understand what you're saying, but you also have to realize that that is what you took it to mean. It is a perfectly reasonable response to state "it is difficult to focus on one particuar aspect due to the fact that the sound and functionality of a synthesizer is largely dependent upon the way that all of the parts work together." In other words, a synthesizer with one aspect focused upon or removed is not a synthesizer, but a module.
Now granted, that is a pretty esoteric and pedantic path to pursue in response to a pretty straightforward thread, I'll admit it... but if people don't like a particular response, they can point out what they disagree with and discourse can ensue. Jumping straight to condescension and mockery is not a particularly effective means of addressing a situation like this, and only serves to derail what could be an interesting discussion.

In response to previous complaints, I changed my answer... and yet still, you feel compelled to chastise me about it. Get over it.

Andy: Sorry about this post... but I wanted to address this point. I'm done responding about this issue... I saw what you said.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:52 pm

Thanks Marc.

Okay then, from this point on, I request that any further issues anyone has with each other be dealt with via PM or I'll have no alternative but to lock the thread.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:22 pm

i_watch_stars wrote: The problem is; the poster asked for a crucial part of a synth. I took this to mean a singular physical part, not a collection of parts, nor abstract properties such as "sound".
That quote wasn't meant to chastise anyone, I just simply quoted sir Stars as a means of affirming that he was correct in regard to what my intentions were with the initial question.

In any regard, think I'll move on to part two of this lil experiment shortly. Hopefully that won't yield any kind of shots at each other between members.
It's like Rodney King said, "Can't we all just smoke a bong?".....
I think that's what he said at least

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:13 pm

I may be a little late to the party, but if we are talking about subtractive synthesis, wouldn't that mean the filter is the most important part?

Anyway, I vote for the interface.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:19 pm

JackAstro wrote:I may be a little late to the party, but if we are talking about subtractive synthesis, wouldn't that mean the filter is the most important part?

No need to limit yourself to the realm of subtractive synthesis.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:50 pm

23 wrote:
JackAstro wrote:I may be a little late to the party, but if we are talking about subtractive synthesis, wouldn't that mean the filter is the most important part?

No need to limit yourself to the realm of subtractive synthesis.
Oops..I was actually just thinking of subtractive.

With FM then, the answer is absolutely clear...INTERFACE. Without a doubt. I started using my Supernova II's 3 op FM engine over my DX simply because of the interface. They need to make a VA with a 6 OP FM engine with knobs!