Single most crucial part of a synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:18 pm

piRoN wrote:Why? No one is saying it's the only relevant factor. Might want to re-read the thread title, chief. ;)

(And why would we want to get stuck with only the transistor-ladder sound, anyway?)
Calm down, uh, Chief. It was only an observation.
I guess it depends on your definition of "crucial," but I think your point about "only relevant" is good. Primarily, though... it was an observation, not a condemnation.

As for getting stuck with a ladder filter, you would not be stuck with a ladder filter if you were using a Moogerfooger. You would, however, be stuck with the filter that is built into the synthesizer in question.
Last edited by Automatic Gainsay on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:You're not really expecting to hear anything worthwhile from someone who says:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Let's remember what the term "synthesis" means.
In that spirit, I have to say sound... or interface.
...are you though?

Let's remember what the term "full of hot air" means.
In that spirit, I have to say... synthesiser.

;)
Yes, you're brimming with cleverness, aren't you? Good one.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:43 am

Shhhh.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:59 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:And AGs suggestion of sound + interface, ie everything.
If "sound + interface" is indeed everything, what happened to erm...the features? :lol:

You know, like what kind of synthesiser it is (subtractive, FM etc.), what modulation options you have, how many LFOs/ENVs, what kind of ENVs, polyphony, arpeggiators, effects etc.

Hey the MEK the can sound like a Pro-One and has a knobby interface. Does that mean a Pro-One is the same and therefore just as good? ;)

In other news, I finally got a chance to demo the V-Synth GT the other day. It kicked a*s. :)
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:03 am

uh, listen up, uh, gaylord, lets all play nice please.

anyhow, if my synths had a little drinking bird that played them, now that would be the important part.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:12 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:And AGs suggestion of sound + interface, ie everything.
If "sound + interface" is indeed everything, what happened to erm...the features? :lol:
Read the rest of his post and all shall become clear.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:24 am

piRoN wrote:Read the rest of his post and all shall become clear.
Okay, one post on "interface + sound" being the most crucial part of a synth and one joking about a Moogerfooger being all you need. Did I miss something else? Because the latter post was a joke I'm sure.

Anyway, I agree with the sound and interface thing actually. I choose filter because it is often integral to the sound of the synth, but having a good interface is very important too in my eyes.

That's why I sold my pain-in-the-a*s-to-edit-without-a-PG-1000 D-50 and opted for the JD-800.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:43 am

tallowwaters wrote:uh, listen up, uh, gaylord, lets all play nice please.
Ah, hello, Tallow. Thanks for defending me against unwarranted attack. As usual, you're providing a comfortable place where everyone's opinion is valid.

I was playing nice until I wasn't played nice with.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:49 am

As I see it, I made a statement about how it was difficult to discern what part of a synthesizer was crucial being as that a synthesizer is a collection of parts working together as a whole.
Then I, like many, stated what I thought was most important despite my previous statement. (Oh, and Stabby... you might notice I said "or" and not "and" regarding interface and sound. I don't want to be a blowhard, but uh... they mean different things. )
Somehow suggesting that sound OR interface might be the most important part merited mockery. And colourful affectionate names like "chief."

So, 23... so as not to offend anyones tender sensibilities... I will change my answer to "the filter." That way, no one has to ponder any issues about integrated systems or esoteric notions.

Now we can all be friends! I'm sorry I strayed.

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:03 am

Ye bloody gods. Put it away, mate.
Jambo wrote:Did I miss something else?
Apparently so.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:23 am

I would say the internal demo is almost as important The Chief, or the sound + interface, ie everything.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:20 am

Back to crucial aspects of synthesisers from this point on, I think.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:35 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:As I see it, I made a statement about how it was difficult to discern what part of a synthesizer was crucial being as that a synthesizer is a collection of parts working together as a whole.
Then I, like many, stated what I thought was most important despite my previous statement. (Oh, and Stabby... you might notice I said "or" and not "and" regarding interface and sound. I don't want to be a blowhard, but uh... they mean different things. )
Somehow suggesting that sound OR interface might be the most important part merited mockery. And colourful affectionate names like "chief."

So, 23... so as not to offend anyones tender sensibilities... I will change my answer to "the filter." That way, no one has to ponder any issues about integrated systems or esoteric notions.

Now we can all be friends! I'm sorry I strayed.
The problem is; the poster asked for a crucial part of a synth. I took this to mean a singular physical part, not a collection of parts, nor abstract properties such as "sound".

If this wern't the case it wouldn't be a well-formed question. For example, if groups of parts were allowed, you could just answer "the synthesizer". Of course "the filter" is a technically group of parts, but you know what I'm getting at. If abstract properties were thrown in, you could say "quality of the synthesizer", which would be an excercise in loop thinking.

As an aside; all the people that answered "sound quality" are completely misunderstanding the point of the question, and are therefore not being smart-asses. However, the people that answered "the power switch" did understand the point, and could be called smart-asses.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:57 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:uh, listen up, uh, gaylord, lets all play nice please.
Ah, hello, Tallow. Thanks for defending me against unwarranted attack. As usual, you're providing a comfortable place where everyone's opinion is valid.

I was playing nice until I wasn't played nice with.
sorry for quoting dane cook at you...

lighten up man. so people joke about you being long winded or a blowhard and stuff. you made a pedantic post towards a straightforward question and somebody had a go at you about it. we all get a poke in the ribs from time to time. feel free to make fun of us synthwerx chat or whatever....
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:29 pm

i_watch_stars wrote:The problem is; the poster asked for a crucial part of a synth. I took this to mean a singular physical part, not a collection of parts, nor abstract properties such as "sound".

If this wern't the case it wouldn't be a well-formed question. For example, if groups of parts were allowed, you could just answer "the synthesizer". Of course "the filter" is a technically group of parts, but you know what I'm getting at. If abstract properties were thrown in, you could say "quality of the synthesizer", which would be an excercise in loop thinking.

As an aside; all the people that answered "sound quality" are completely misunderstanding the point of the question, and are therefore not being smart-asses. However, the people that answered "the power switch" did understand the point, and could be called smart-asses.
I'm glad someone else here has the reading comprehension skills and intelligence to grasp all of what was going on in this thread. :thumbleft: