Aussies - EMS documentary airing this Tuesday...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Aussies - EMS documentary airing this Tuesday...

Post by piRoN » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi all,

What The Future Sounded Like is a 30-min documentary that looks at the pioneering British synthesiser company EMS, which is airing on the ABC at 10pm on Tuesday 18th.

I was involved in various ways in the production (animation, motion graphics, sound design, graphics and web, monkey labour), and it's turned out to be one fantastic little film. It's been getting a lot of very good reviews from various film festivals already, and if my post-premiere hangover at the Adelaide Film Festival was anything to go by, I'd say it was a success there too! There's plenty of interesting interviews with people such as Peter Zinovieff, David Cockerell, Tristram Cary, Dave Brock of Hawkwind, Gordon Reid (of Sound On Sound fame), Trevor Pinch (author of "Analog Days"), and others.

Visit the web site for more detailed information:

http://www.whatthefuturesoundedlike.com

Cheers, and don't forget to tune in!
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Post by hinotori » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:21 pm

damn!!!
i would be very very keen to see this movie .
any way that would be possible other than buying a lst minute flight there from japan. ;)

electronique

Re: Aussies - EMS documentary airing this Tuesday...

Post by electronique » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:07 pm

piRoN wrote:Hi all,

What The Future Sounded Like is a 30-min documentary that looks at the pioneering British synthesiser company EMS, which is airing on the ABC at 10pm on Tuesday 18th.
Sounds very good.. If only I could get better reception of ABC at my place.!

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:11 pm

Can't wait. I've left reminders up all over my house. Most exciting thing to come on tv for a looooong time.

I noticed in the TV Guide it mentioned how Tristram Cary wrote the Dr Who theme. They didn't forget old Delia did they?

Kaled

Post by Kaled » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Hopefully someone can post it on YouTube.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:08 pm

Arddhu wrote:Can't wait. I've left reminders up all over my house. Most exciting thing to come on tv for a looooong time.

I noticed in the TV Guide it mentioned how Tristram Cary wrote the Dr Who theme. They didn't forget old Delia did they?
Tristram Cary did the incidental music, not the theme. That was Ron Grainer. Delia Derbyshire never got a show credit (beyond the generic credit for the entire BBC Radiophonic Workshop) for actually creating the theme from Grainer's score.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:37 pm

I'm looking forward to you guys getting it out on DVD here in the UK..there are a couple of people like RL music and peter Forrest that might be able to help you with distribution.

piRoN

Post by piRoN » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:28 am

Arddhu wrote:Can't wait. I've left reminders up all over my house. Most exciting thing to come on tv for a looooong time.

Oh dear. Every time we say he did the music, people instantly assume he did the theme... I haven't read our press kit so maybe that wasn't made clear.

This was actually supposed to be a one-hour doco originally, so there's a lot of very interesting footage that didn't make the cut. In fact the only complaint we've received thus far at screenings was "I wanted it to be longer!".
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:53 am

Ah well I suppose you can't expect a Tasmanian tv guide to actually be on the ball. That would just be insanity.

Yeah it's a pity about the length, I was hoping for a bit longer but still, better than nothing! Are there any plans for a director's cut type affair?

hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Post by hinotori » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:00 am

Yeah, an extended DVD release would be great for us non-oz residents.

Will you release the version where Tristram Cary falls asleep at his synthi 100 and dreams of a unicorn ? ;)

piRoN

Post by piRoN » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:03 am

Arddhu wrote:Ah well I suppose you can't expect a Tasmanian tv guide to actually be on the ball. That would just be insanity.

Yeah it's a pity about the length, I was hoping for a bit longer but still, better than nothing! Are there any plans for a director's cut type affair?
We were considering putting some of the dropped sequences on as DVD extras, but it remains to be seen what happens. Unfortunately funding a one-hour production is hugely expensive (especially one that relies so heavily on archival footage and interviews in other countries!), so without securing international interest it's very difficult to pull off here. It's a shame, because we had enough material for an hour and then some!
hinotori wrote:Will you release the version where Tristram Cary falls asleep at his synthi 100 and dreams of a unicorn ? :wink:
:lol:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Hopefully someone will record it?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:54 pm

they should make more DVDs like this.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:53 pm

So, are you saying a DVD is going to be made? Please please please say yes... oh my god, I nearly wet myself watching the trailer. My jawbone bruised my sternum... that footage is absolutely PRICELESS!
:::salivates:::

So... DVD... when? Where? How much? Who am I kidding, I don't care how much! :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi, they have a MySpace site under the same name as the film. I've messaged them a couple of times and I hope they will put out an announcement when the DVD comes out.

Funny, their site gave me a chance to see what Robin looks like. I was speaking to him only today and I had a quite different person in mind.