What is the best alternative to the FR-777??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:47 pm

I wonder if Jered would consider doing the 777 again after the XS has been done and dusted?
It seems like people have finally caught on to how superior (but not identical) the 777 is compared to the iconic TB303 especialy now 2nd prices are exceeding the original RRP shows there is a substantial market gap appearing.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:49 pm

if he could make more of them for under 1000 USD again, they'd probably sell like hotcakes.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:56 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:if he could make more of them for under 1000 USD again, they'd probably sell like hotcakes.
and add patch storage... woowee!!! (Though I know purists would be pissed...and of course the old one would sound better for some weird reason ;) )
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:32 pm

JSRockit wrote:Wow, that silver one is very pretty. Seems like a great synth... lust makes me want one, but in reality I'm not a tweaker...I'm a set it and save it type.
Hey JS.... long time no chat, buddy...what's up for music for ya lately?

I always start from a known patch... the 303 'template', if you will, and go from there.. the patches are now all in my head...seriously... the controls are like 'home base' for me... :p

s

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:00 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:if he could make more of them for under 1000 USD again, they'd probably sell like hotcakes.
I suppose the point for Jered is that he doesn't WANT to make them again.... he has more new ideas than he has a lifetime to know what to do with. The more rare the 777 is, the cult following it will maintain, and the better the good will for the company...something Jered cares about more than 'just' making money. Besides, that's what the Mobius and Revo are for (and soon, the new benchmark for monosynths...the XS)

my thoughts and opionions only... b/c yeah, I agree with you that if he DID remake them, they'd sell really well!

:)
s

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:35 pm

shagghie wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Wow, that silver one is very pretty. Seems like a great synth... lust makes me want one, but in reality I'm not a tweaker...I'm a set it and save it type.

I always start from a known patch... the 303 'template', if you will, and go from there.. the patches are now all in my head...seriously... the controls are like 'home base' for me... :p

s
Hey, what's up sir? I'm working on about 6 songs right now. I basically was woking on a batch of songs and scrapped them all so I could focus on stuff that I'm more excited about...and just trying to do it right for once. Regarding the 777 (if they reintroduced it)... I'd just like patch storage... because I'm just used to having it. The FR Revo didn't really need it...I could dial in what I want easy enough, but the 777 seems to have a few more options that would make me probably forget how I got a particular sound. Unfortunately, I'm too new school for righting down settings on a piece of paper. :oops: It doesn't matter though...FR isn't going to make the 777 again...and if they did, it wouldn't have patch storage. :lol:

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:19 am

JSRockit wrote:
shagghie wrote:

s
Hey, what's up sir? I'm working on about 6 songs right now. I basically was woking on a batch of songs and scrapped them all so I could focus on stuff that I'm more excited about...and just trying to do it right for once. Regarding the 777 (if they reintroduced it)... I'd just like patch storage... because I'm just used to having it. The FR Revo didn't really need it...I could dial in what I want easy enough, but the 777 seems to have a few more options that would make me probably forget how I got a particular sound. Unfortunately, I'm too new school for righting down settings on a piece of paper. :oops: It doesn't matter though...FR isn't going to make the 777 again...and if they did, it wouldn't have patch storage. :lol:

Word. Bam!

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:39 am

I doubt Jared will ever do another 777. He's been well aware (and proud) of their resale values, and he's mentioned that to me a couple times. At the same time, at least in my conversations with him (which have been numerous over the years), he's always seemed more forward thinking.

Jered capped 777 production off just because quite frankly, he wasn't moving much product any more. he moves over to the Revolution, which outside of a couple sequencer additions (functionality wise), for the most part was arguably a very toned down 777 with some DSP effect capability added. Actually, more in specific, it was a synth very much geared first and foremost towards being a 303 emulator through and through (which the 777 never was). I mean it's kinda weird, the 777 sales drop, he does the Rev, thing sales like the 777 never did.....
That's something I'll always find weird (as I gotta admit, I find the 777 far more interesting).

Anyhow I seriously doubt he'll remake the 777.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Re: Silver Brushed Aluminum FR-777.

Post by ThinkTanx » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:02 am

shagghie wrote:If anyone on the list is selling their FR-777, please hit me up first... I need a second backup. and i don't care about condition....
I asked first. Not cool. :(

bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bakeded » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:06 am

:-#
Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

shagghie

Re: Silver Brushed Aluminum FR-777.

Post by shagghie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:22 am

ThinkTanx wrote:
shagghie wrote:If anyone on the list is selling their FR-777, please hit me up first... I need a second backup. and i don't care about condition....
I asked first. Not cool. :(
Fine, if anyone is selling two 777's hit these guys up for both of them so that I can get to the top of the cue where I belong. :)

Sometimes I wish Jered had just stook with playing records...

bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bakeded » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:34 am

:-#
Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:32 pm

bakeded wrote::shock: I was just kidding. :? 8)
I'll probably never get one anyway.(I would pay $2K for that 666 one)
I'll just have to settle for the xs. :wink:
Ive already had an offer for $2500 a month ago... this one's not for sale though. It's not about the money on this one, you know? This thing is literally a part of who I am as a musician...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:50 pm

Man, I have to hand it to you folks that won't sell your stuff even for outrageous prices. I'd sell that silver one and buy two black ones... ; Is there any other differences besides color shaggie?

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:39 pm

I made the stupid mistake of selling my 777 for a Pro One + $600 but then bought it back a few months later for $1000. I was temporarily dazzled by what people wanted to pay for it. I'm really glad I was able to buy it back.

Shaggie, have you done modifications to any of your 777's?