What is the best alternative to the FR-777??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:54 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:
I'm just kind of looking for new inspiration, and trying to perfect my setup. I'm kind of like you: not a big player... I like built-in sequencers, groovebox-type synths.

You, of all people, should understand this. :D
Oh believe me I do... I'm always trying to perfect my set-up, but everytime I think I want sequencer boxes only, i realize that I do like playing a lead here and there. What has also been suprising is that the best synths for me are not always boutique or expensive (ie microkorg, dx100, CS01). I've come to find that a good range from cheap to expensive, from analog to digital, from quirky to traditional, and from vintage to new is the key to getting closer to not getting bored with stuff.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

idiotboy

Post by idiotboy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:04 pm

There's a 777 on eBay right now: it's at $1200 with 4 days left!

33 bids and counting. Personally, at those prices, I'll wait for the XS.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:26 pm

yeah .. you would you f**k idiot!

j/k .. just saw your name.... and I think the XS is going to be way cooler anyway.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:48 pm

even the xs doesn't have a 42 dB filter, warp circuit and a few other bits (like a sequencer) so it's definitely not a replacement for a 777. the more time i spend with it the more i realize i'd have to be really desperate to let it go or attempt to replace it. it's too unique.

of course the xs sounds bone-crushingly brilliant but that's another matter. it's a very different animal.

acid isn't even it's best card so when people that don't have a 777 talk like they know what the 777 can do they seem silly to those that do know.
like 23 says, an ea-1 is as close to it architecturally as anything, so there you go.
fact is, nothing else will replace a 777 short of a painstakingly configured custom modular - and try getting that out the door and on stage with 'ya.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:15 pm

The only think that had a similar charm to me was the Pro-One.

I prefer the Pro-One. ... sometimes I was no good with some of the levels on the 777... things would jump way up in volume lots of times for me. ..

the no patch memory thing bugged me too. Either way I wish it was still around.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:26 pm

bakeded wrote:Hey 23, do you own one of the silver 777s by any chance?
No, to the best of my understanding, Jered only made one of them, which was production number 666. Oddly, I came close to shooting for purchasing that one a number of months ago, but eventually ceased pursuit when someone pointed out to me
"Are you really gonna use it? Or just want to say you have it?"

My answer was really more of a collectors answer, and upon realizing that, I ceased pursuit....really, I have more stuff in my area than I like as stands.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII

Post by 23 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 pm

JSRockit wrote:What is it about the 777 that you like? Outside of the 7 pole filter and sequencer...the Voyager has similar functions no (3 pole filter, fm options)? or are you trying to let go of the Voyager and get some replacements?
I don't know if this wa an open ended question or not, but really, thre's numerous things I like about the 777.
The means offered for modulating the filter are quite original and unique; and that's a favorite and highly used area of mine.
Also, the FM configuration is pretty nifty as well. For those that don't know, Oscs A and B are pretty much configured in a loop.

The option to have the Oscs driven by the internal sequencer or external source also provides interesting options. Not typical LFO actions, but you get Oscs B to act as a stagnant fast LFO via these means.

I mean ultimately, it's just the diversity of the thing as a whole coupled with it's inutiveness. It's the best blend of the two areas I feel I've ever encountered.....the range of timbres you can get out of it wide. Not the widest in the world, but pretty darn large. But it still manages to be intuitive as all mad.....it's like the perfect point of cutoff was hit in regards to making sure that you never got TOO indepth in having to think about what you needed to do.

That all said, believe it or not, the "acid" action of the 777 is probably it's least interesting facet.

Post by 23 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:37 pm

In regard to the XS, I think it's important to keep in mind that one of Jered's chief aims with the XS was to make something that could serve as an extension to any and all of the previously made FR things.

It was never intended as Revoultion or 777 replacement.

A lot of things got dumped into the XS that weren't originally planned, making it really much more of a stand up on it's own two feet piece than it originally was. However, the idea of it being able to serve as pretty much a "lego" piece was never dropped out.

So looking to the XS as a 777 replacement is sort of a moot point, which Jered himself would quickly express if asked I'm sure. It was never meant as such; but part of it's main intention was in fact to enable additional features to be added to previously made FR products. Synth wise, the 777 lends itself to this thinking the most.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:56 pm

the 3 years I used the 777 ... I never once thought of it as an acid machine.

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:47 am

i bought my 777 from shaggie on here for $1150 a couple months back - it's in fine condition and has 2 mods.. so i think its a fair price.. shaggie now owns that silver edition btw.. 8)

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:00 am

The new XS and a Mobius would kill it!

The Revolution would do it too.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:38 am

23 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:What is it about the 777 that you like? Outside of the 7 pole filter and sequencer...the Voyager has similar functions no (3 pole filter, fm options)? or are you trying to let go of the Voyager and get some replacements?
I don't know if this wa an open ended question or not, but really, thre's numerous things I like about the 777.
The means offered for modulating the filter are quite original and unique; and that's a favorite and highly used area of mine.
Also, the FM configuration is pretty nifty as well. For those that don't know, Oscs A and B are pretty much configured in a loop.

The option to have the Oscs driven by the internal sequencer or external source also provides interesting options. Not typical LFO actions, but you get Oscs B to act as a stagnant fast LFO via these means.

I mean ultimately, it's just the diversity of the thing as a whole coupled with it's inutiveness. It's the best blend of the two areas I feel I've ever encountered.....the range of timbres you can get out of it wide. Not the widest in the world, but pretty darn large. But it still manages to be intuitive as all mad.....it's like the perfect point of cutoff was hit in regards to making sure that you never got TOO indepth in having to think about what you needed to do.

That all said, believe it or not, the "acid" action of the 777 is probably it's least interesting facet.
I meant that as specifically to thinktanx...but I'm sure your response helped him anyway and it is interesting to me as well. :D

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:19 am

JSRockit wrote:
23 wrote:

I meant that as specifically to thinktanx...but I'm sure your response helped him anyway and it is interesting to me as well. :D
Yep. Thanks for all the info, 23. I am really gonna try and get a 777. And, like I said before, I couldn't give a s**t about 'acid' sounds.

Seems like I am gonna have to pay a bit over the odds. But I have paid as much or a lot more for other instruments that I have probably used less. Plus, it seems that resale would be no problem. If I did resell it, I'm sure I could get as much as I paid back.

shagghie

Silver Brushed Aluminum FR-777.

Post by shagghie » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:43 am

bakeded wrote:Hey 23, do you own one of the silver 777s by any chance?
Hey bakeded..... yeah, I own the only factory brushed metal FR-777.
The 'band' that Jered refers to on the History page was Slash from G&R. Then another famous band bought it (rumored KMFDM...but that seems unlikely given the recent interview Jered did with them). I guess a salesguy from Sweetwater got it as part of a massive studio upgrade/trade out program.

One things for certain, that thing came with some of the best sequences I've ever heard.

The 777 is not replaceable by anything... even a modular setup with a mobious would lend the feel for having all those knobs right there...and the filter modulation characteristics would have to be really thought out on a modular system to even get close.

there's video that shows it lit up with blue LEDs here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cNMF67_mCo and
here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3w3RK0u3c

The bass the 777 can turn out when the cross mod matrix Envelope knob is all the way to the rigth with B fully modulating A OSC, is rediculous!
It was calibrated to drop the 777's lowest 'natural' bass note down an entire octave...but think crazy PWM action and 'dirt' as a result. Nothing sounds lke it on earth. Pzchobitch uses the FR-777 on her electrolicious album, if you wanna take a listen....

If anyone on the list is selling their FR-777, please hit me up first... I need a second backup. and i don't care about condition....

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:02 pm

Wow, that silver one is very pretty. Seems like a great synth... lust makes me want one, but in reality I'm not a tweaker...I'm a set it and save it type.