How to make a good bell sound?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Five

How to make a good bell sound?

Post by Five » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:52 am

Whats the key to making a good bell sound? It seems like digital synths do them best, i would be attempting this on either my prophet 600 or korg poly61. what waveforms are typically used?

Paolo Di Nicolantonio

Post by Paolo Di Nicolantonio » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:26 am

ring modulation
Visit my synthesizer/music website
www.synthmania.com

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: How to make a good bell sound?

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:29 am

Five wrote:what waveforms are typically used?
pcm samples of bell waveforms. :lol:

really though, you can get all sorts of bellish sounds from any synth, though FM synths are considered the best for the job.

The best thing to do is get those envelopes set up first, then you are halfway there.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:49 am

No no no. Here's how to do it on your Prophet 600, assuming the Pro53 is similar enough. Set Osc 1 to square, Osc 2 to triangle. In the poly-mod section, set OSC B to modulate Freq A (at maximum). No other modulation.
Have the PW of OSC A in the middle (normal). OSC A should be +1 octave above B and also +3 semitones.

I don't know about filter settings on your unit, but I had the frequency at about 1/6th, no resonance. A percussive filter envelope.

Amplifier should come naturally...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:20 am

You have an FM synth? Those seem to be the best for rocking bells.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5

Post by portland » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:26 am

JSRockit wrote:You have an FM synth? Those seem to be the best for rocking bells.
The Prophet 600 is an FM synth.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:31 am

portland wrote:
JSRockit wrote:You have an FM synth? Those seem to be the best for rocking bells.
hmmm... I didn't know that.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Byrthfood

Post by Byrthfood » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:37 am

portland wrote:
And my Minimoog is a ROMpler. 8)
Synthi: DSI Polyevolver, DSI Prophet 08, Moog Source, Moog Voyager, Roland Fantom X8, Generalmusic S2 and SK88, Yamaha RM50, MFB Kult

Future: Macbeth X-Factor

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:40 am

JSRockit wrote:
portland wrote:
hmmm... I didn't know that.
i think he means in the sense of various types of osc cross mod...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:47 am

Byrthfood wrote:
portland wrote:The Prophet 600 is an FM synth.
And my Minimoog is a ROMpler. 8)
:lol:

But seriously, the ESQ-1 is fantastic for bell sounds and the DX7 is great as well.

Another point - ring modulation is indeed brilliant for church bell sounds but not so much musical, twinkly bells.

portland

Post by portland » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:16 am

I'm not liking your excessive generalizations one bit. The Prophet 600 has everything you need to make bell sounds. They may not be as realistic as the DX7, but the correct answer to "how do I make bell sounds with a Prophet 600 or Poly61" is not "Buy a DX7" or "The ESQ-1 is great for bell sounds".

Will you deny that the Prophet 600 has FM? Yes, it only has two operators, but so does the SY22, and the DX100 and such only have four. Not only does the Prophet 600 have oscillator FM, it also has filter FM. That's two kinds of FM, so I think the term "FM synth" is entirely necessary.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:28 am

portland wrote:I'm not liking your excessive generalizations one bit.
Huh? How are they generalisations? I know for a fact that these synths are great for bell sounds because I own them. And where exactly did I say the P600 or Poly61 weren't capable?
The Prophet 600 has everything you need to make bell sounds. They may not be as realistic as the DX7, but the correct answer to "how do I make bell sounds with a Prophet 600 or Poly61" is not "Buy a DX7" or "The ESQ-1 is great for bell sounds".
The post's initial question is "What's the key to making a good bell sound?". I know the DX7 and ESQ-1 are more than capable. I do not however, know if that's the case for the P600 and Poly61 because I've never played them.

I'm offering what I know over what I'd be assuming. Is that wrong?
Will you deny that the Prophet 600 has FM?
Yes it may have FM but the results aren't as predictable since those VCOs aren't really stable enough to deliver the same results. I have oscillator FM on my Octave CAT too and I can sure as h**l can't go around calling it an FM synth now can I? ;)

Just chill man, I was only making a few suggestions based on what I've learned.

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:37 am

OriginalJambo wrote:I was only making a few suggestions
In all fairness, you didn't really offer any suggestions about making bell sounds. You suggested that he use two completely different synths instead. :P
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

Peake

Post by Peake » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:53 am

If you're using a monosynth or two-osc poly, multi-track for best results.

Get a patch up that you like. Track it. Then put in a bit of envelope generator to pitch, of one osc, with a slow decay to zero. MIDI this along with the audio track and edit until you get convincing settling in pitch (subtle is good).

Then create, while again playing the synth along with the audio tracks, a high-frequency "tink/thud" for the object that is striking the bell. The tink can go a long way to making a convincing case for a bell sound on its own. Same with vibes.

Also, use very odd intervals for oscillator pitch. Call up a bell sample like you want to synthesize and tune your analog oscillators to any of the high harmonics you hear, and you're off to a good start. Don't be afraid of making any harmonics louder than the fundamental.

If you have lots of time, do individual tracks for individual harmonics, with individual audio envelopes.

Or get a modular ;-)

Dig up a list of pitches of the harmonic series...that helps too.
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:18 am

KLAXON wrote:In all fairness, you didn't really offer any suggestions about making bell sounds. You suggested that he use two completely different synths instead. :P
Erm...yes I did actually.
I wrote:Another point - ring modulation is indeed brilliant for church bell sounds but not so much musical, twinkly bells.
...all thanks to those lovely inharmonics generated by ring mod.