Modulars for beginners?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Modulars for beginners?

Post by TrondC » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:53 am

I'm looking to get a small modular synth with intentions to learn as much as possible about how synths work, and I've been looking at the AS Red Square, looks like an affordable little modular for beginners. Mind you that the most advanced synth I've used so far is actually a Microkorg, so forget about buchla systems for now :wink:
I'm thinking to spend as little over $500 as possible, but are there actually any good modulars for that price around? I think there was a DIY one but I think that's out of my league.. Also, could buying modules seperately be a way to cut down the price a bit, or would it be cheaper to buy a complete system?

kk994

Post by kk994 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:01 pm

The AS Red Square is a semi-modular and costs $1099.

There is no modular for $500... Maybe buy a case and a filter and then start building one up.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:22 pm

for 500 bucks?

look to learn a lot about modular synthesis by picking up a nord micro modular and start saving a lot of pennies.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:29 pm

You can pretty much forget getting a modular at anything below $1000. They are all analogue, and analogue stuff costs serious moolah.

Only to replicate your microkorg's functionality (2 vco's, filter, vca, 2 EG's) will cost more than $500, plus you need a powered case w/ all the mountings too. The worst part of starting modular is the initial cost of the PSU and racks. Filling it up with modules is no big deal. But the initial cost is pretty bad usually. You'll need a MIDI/CV converter aswell.

You can click the link in my signature to see my modular synth. Just that "basic" setup cost me over $2000. I see you're Norwegian, it cost me 24000 NOK. The basic rule is take a dollar value, convert to NOK and multiply by two and you get a realistic NOK price for the item you see on US websites etc.

Same as I paid for my Andromeda a few years ago. And that's only ONE voice. But it's a fricking fantastic voice at that.

Replicating a Minimoog structure will usually set you back way more than an actual used Minimoog.

http://www.stordahlmusikk.no is the only supplier of modular synths in Norway so far, they deal Analogue Systems. Check the prices there.
The owner says he tested lots of different euro modulars before deciding to go with AS because he loved the sound and functionality. He's been selling quite a lot of it too. There are noone that imports modulars to Norway except this store in Moss, so you'll have to deal with customs and VAT ratings on top of whatever price you find in UK or USA.
Last edited by Bitexion on Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:38 pm

Not to jack your thread but to all you modular guys, how does the Red Square sound?
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:07 pm

Get an Arturia Moog ModularV or ARP2600V if your just starting out.
The best lowish priced semi modular hardware synth I'd consider would be an MS20 or even a Dave Smith Evolver tho it isn't really a good beginners synth.

kk994

Post by kk994 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:58 pm

AudiosEnvy wrote:Not to jack your thread but to all you modular guys, how does the Red Square sound?
I think there are a few demos on sequencer.de... sounds good.

kk994

Post by kk994 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:00 pm

Bitexion wrote:You can click the link in my signature to see my modular synth. Just that "basic" setup cost me over $2000.
Have you any demos of your AS system anywhere Bitexion? It'd be good to hear it...

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:17 pm

I've decided the only way I'm ever going to have a modular is to wait for the apocalypse, and then barricade myself "Omega Man" style at the Cantos Music Museum or something...

Fight off the zombie horde during the day and fiddle with my Moog system 55 at night...

can't wait..

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:53 pm

You should try one of the nord modulars, unlimited possibilites, cheap, and a lot less space wasted.

Definitely great for beginners too.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Track2

Post by Track2 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:57 pm

whiteyhouston wrote:I've decided the only way I'm ever going to have a modular is to wait for the apocalypse, and then barricade myself "Omega Man" style at the Cantos Music Museum or something...
lol, that was really funny :D
Triton ProX with MOSS, Z1, Q+ Phoenix, XTk, microQ, Supernova II, KS Rack, MS2000R, A6 Andromeda, Ion, Proteus 2500

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:37 pm

The suggestion of starting with a software modular is I think a good one. I found Arturia's Moog Modular easiest and in fact it's what got me started in the modular area.

West_Berliner
Gear: Nord Lead 2, Nord Modular, Virus C, Machinedrum SPS-1
Band: musique concrete

Post by West_Berliner » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:42 pm

i could never figure out the moog modular, but have no problem with my nord modular! id recommend the nord, i love the way mine sounds :)
"Destruction is not negative. you must destroy to build" - Blixa Bargeld

aba81102

Post by aba81102 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:47 pm

You could buy and build a PAIA 9700. Its analogue. Not quite as nice sounding as the AS systems but it includes every basic thing you would need including a MIDI to CV converter. It is Frac Rac format so you could easily expand it using Blacet, Wiard, Encore or Metal Box/CGS modules.

It could be te start that you need and you can build around it.

And its under $500 us

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:31 am

aba81102 wrote:You could buy and build a PAIA 9700. Its analogue. Not quite as nice sounding as the AS systems but it includes every basic thing you would need including a MIDI to CV converter. It is Frac Rac format so you could easily expand it using Blacet, Wiard, Encore or Metal Box/CGS modules.

It could be te start that you need and you can build around it.

And its under $500 us
took the words right outta my mouth.

PAIA 9700
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.