TR-909 kick drum replacements

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:21 pm

I have a modded 909 and I used to have a Jomox Airbass99.

The kick of the Jomox is not that good. (It's the hihats where this box realy shines. I would buy it just for those)

But I think you already have the perfect replacement for the 909: The MPC1000. Just sample loads of simulair kicks.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

rivas3
Band: Bad Employees

Re: TR-909 kick drum replacements

Post by rivas3 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:45 pm

vanitypolice wrote:So, I just parted ways with my TR-909. I just wasn't getting enough use out of it to warrant hoarding it. Someone else will definately get more use out of it than I.

Having said that, I NEED to replace the kick. That was all I ever used it for. Does anyone reccomend (hardware or software) something that will help soothe my analog drum wounds. virtual, sampled or whatever else. I'm open to it all.

seems like you should have sampled the 909 when you had it..... i mean, do you not have recordings of it from some songs you have made, sample that. and doesnt logic pro 7 have a good drum synth? but if youre looking for true analog, then yeah the mbase should be very pleasing for you.

breitt

Post by breitt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:55 pm

Often overlooked is the Vermona DRM MK III. This new version has an improved kick that provides the deepest, ballsiest, wall-shaking thump that I've yet to witness on an analog drum unit. I've owned the Jomox 999, the Jomox 09, the Roland tr-909 and the Machinedrum. The Vermona's Kick, combined with its two neighbor-track, bass drum cousins (Drum 1, Drum 2) gushes forth a sonic gut-punch unrivaled by its competitors.

I know you're only looking for a Kick and not necessarily a full-blown kit, but at $750-$975, the whole package is very nice to have anyway. Make sure you have a good sequencer you're comfortable with for the Vermona.
Elektron Analog 4

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:26 am

breitt wrote:Often overlooked is the Vermona DRM MK III. This new version has an improved kick that provides the deepest, ballsiest, wall-shaking thump that I've yet to witness on an analog drum unit. I've owned the Jomox 999, the Jomox 09, the Roland tr-909 and the Machinedrum. The Vermona's Kick, combined with its two neighbor-track, bass drum cousins (Drum 1, Drum 2) gushes forth a sonic gut-punch unrivaled by its competitors.

I know you're only looking for a Kick and not necessarily a full-blown kit, but at $750-$975, the whole package is very nice to have anyway. Make sure you have a good sequencer you're comfortable with for the Vermona.
So, do you sequence the Vermona with the Mobius, the MnM, or what?

breitt

Post by breitt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:36 am

ThinkTanx wrote: So, do you sequence the Vermona with the Mobius, the MnM, or what?
I use the MnM. The Mobii, being monophonic, would have been a hassle. The MnM gives me 6 tracks to play with. I actually use 6 individual midi channels for the Vermona instruments. Someone on the Elektron site said they use only 1 or 2 midi channels and use different note numbers to trigger the tracks, but it seems easier to me to just use different channels instead of having to set note numbers each time I set up a pattern. I could be wrong, but I think my way is easier. The only problem with my method is that I only get to utilize 6 ouf of the 8 Vermona instruments at a time. But, I've never had a need to use all 8 in a pattern anyway.
Elektron Analog 4

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:00 am

Bitexion wrote:Who needs TR909 when you got a refrigerator. Just slam the door, great bass drum sound. Even better, a freezer. Or just go all the way with kitchen appliances like these guys:

It actually works. And you get to smash stuff.
That's a pretty good kick sound. Is that an analog fridge or digital one?
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:09 am

breitt wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote: So, do you sequence the Vermona with the Mobius, the MnM, or what?
I use the MnM. The Mobii, being monophonic, would have been a hassle. The MnM gives me 6 tracks to play with. I actually use 6 individual midi channels for the Vermona instruments. Someone on the Elektron site said they use only 1 or 2 midi channels and use different note numbers to trigger the tracks, but it seems easier to me to just use different channels instead of having to set note numbers each time I set up a pattern. I could be wrong, but I think my way is easier. The only problem with my method is that I only get to utilize 6 ouf of the 8 Vermona instruments at a time. But, I've never had a need to use all 8 in a pattern anyway.
Yeah, I rarely use more than six tracks on a drum machine either.

But, without knowing the Vermona real well, is it that hard to set it up to have each track receive a certain MIDI note?

For instance I used to use my ER-1 to sequence the Impulse drum machine in Ableton Live. I just set up each track on the ER-1 to output the right MIDI note (took two minutes to do), and I was set.

I've never used the MnM to sequence other gear though, and I don't own a Vermona, but I'm thinking about it.

breitt

Post by breitt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:33 am

ThinkTanx wrote:[But, without knowing the Vermona real well, is it that hard to set it up to have each track receive a certain MIDI note?

For instance I used to use my ER-1 to sequence the Impulse drum machine in Ableton Live. I just set up each track on the ER-1 to output the right MIDI note (took two minutes to do), and I was set.

I've never used the MnM to sequence other gear though, and I don't own a Vermona, but I'm thinking about it.
It's not hard on the Vermona end of things. When I was sequencing it via my Schaltwerk, I just copied and pasted the settings from pattern to pattern so that the note settings would be intact, and then I tweaked each pattern on the Schaltwerk from there. It was easy particularly because I had a simultaneous 8-tracks-at-a-glance view on the Schaltwerk. I suppose I could do something similar with the MnM, but I think in a live or improvisational situation it seems easier to just be able to press buttons on different channels instead of setting individual notes on the same channel. There may be some shortcuts I'm not aware of yet; I'm still exploring the bowels of the MnM monster.
Elektron Analog 4

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:40 am

breitt wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:[But, without knowing the Vermona real well, is it that hard to set it up to have each track receive a certain MIDI note?

It's not hard on the Vermona end of things. When I was sequencing it via my Schaltwerk, I just copied and pasted the settings from pattern to pattern so that the note settings would be intact, and then I tweaked each pattern on the Schaltwerk from there. It was easy particularly because I had a simultaneous 8-tracks-at-a-glance view on the Schaltwerk. I suppose I could do something similar with the MnM, but I think in a live or improvisational situation it seems easier to just be able to press buttons on different channels instead of setting individual notes on the same channel. There may be some shortcuts I'm not aware of yet; I'm still exploring the bowels of the MnM monster.
Ahh... I wasn't paying attention the first time. So, someone was trying to sequence it using just one track on the sequencer but different notes, whereas you are using several tracks sending on different MIDI channels.

What I was doing with my ER-1 to Impulse was kind of both. Just using one MIDI channel, but eight tracks all sending a different note on the sequencer.

I don't have my ER-1. A friend has had it for over a year. But if I get a Vermona, I may get the ER-1 back to sequence it.

breitt

Post by breitt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:14 am

ThinkTanx wrote: I don't have my ER-1. A friend has had it for over a year. But if I get a Vermona, I may get the ER-1 back to sequence it.
Should be a good combo. I can't overstate the quality of the Vermona kick.

So you're getting a FR-777? Congratulations! I've had mine for nearly a year. One of the most unique, deceivingly complex, grungy, nasty pieces of gear you will ever play. Everyone I've talked to who has ever sold one regrets doing so. A true collector's item.

How do you like your Lemur? Those have always looked intriguing to me.
Elektron Analog 4

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:31 am

breitt wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote: I don't have my ER-1. A friend has had it for over a year. But if I get a Vermona, I may get the ER-1 back to sequence it.
Should be a good combo. I can't overstate the quality of the Vermona kick.

So you're getting a FR-777? Congratulations! I've had mine for nearly a year. One of the most unique, deceivingly complex, grungy, nasty pieces of gear you will ever play. Everyone I've talked to who has ever sold one regrets doing so. A true collector's item.

How do you like your Lemur? Those have always looked intriguing to me.
I am getting a 777. It is on its way as soon as my eCheck clears! Can't wait to get nasty with that thing.

The Lemur is an agent of conflict for me right now. I've had it for about a month or a little more, and I've made very little progress with it. Mostly because I have been pretty busy lately with other work. It does take time to both learn and to build your custom projects (interfaces) for it. I'm now starting to wonder if it is worth it for me. Also, you really need to know Max/MSP to get the best out of it, and I don't, so that would be something else I would have to spend a lot of time learning to really exploit its greatest potential.

I may actually sell it soon. Right now, it's frustrating to see it sitting there, essentially nothing more than a $2500 paperweight! But another part of me is telling myself that I haven't put enough effort into it, and I should give it more of a chance. We'll see.

I'm curious what DAW you use, and also, what you do with 3 Mobius?! :)

breitt

Post by breitt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:11 am

ThinkTanx wrote: I'm curious what DAW you use, and also, what you do with 3 Mobius?! :)
I don't use a DAW, perse. I run all my sequenced hardware output through my Mackie 1620 Firewire mixer into my computer and then I use Adobe Audition as a glorified track recorder to make initial tweaks and then I bounce everything down to a master for the final sprinkles. I record live with no dubbing or track layering, etc. I just make final adjustments in the post-mix realm.

Real-time live recording produces a bit of anxiety and frustration, but its off-the-cuff nature and vulnerability to minor timing errors sometimes produces those "happy accidents" and also lends a creative, unpredictable, human edge to the recordings. In a nutshell, it's more fun.

As far as the 3 Mobii, I use 2 to sequence 2 different channels on my Nord Lead 2X, and I use the remaining Mobius to sequence my Voyager RME. I have everything all midi'ed together strictly for timing (not for program changes), and I have not heard a single latency problem.
Elektron Analog 4

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:55 am

breitt wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote: I'm curious what DAW you use, and also, what you do with 3 Mobius?! :)
I don't use a DAW, perse. I run all my sequenced hardware output through my Mackie 1620 Firewire mixer into my computer and then I use Adobe Audition as a glorified track recorder to make initial tweaks and then I bounce everything down to a master for the final sprinkles. I record live with no dubbing or track layering, etc. I just make final adjustments in the post-mix realm.

Real-time live recording produces a bit of anxiety and frustration, but its off-the-cuff nature and vulnerability to minor timing errors sometimes produces those "happy accidents" and also lends a creative, unpredictable, human edge to the recordings. In a nutshell, it's more fun.

As far as the 3 Mobii, I use 2 to sequence 2 different channels on my Nord Lead 2X, and I use the remaining Mobius to sequence my Voyager RME. I have everything all midi'ed together strictly for timing (not for program changes), and I have not heard a single latency problem.
Cool.

Yeah, I seem to now recall hearing you say in the past that you record live to two-track.

You ever listen to The Field? He does minimal/tech house on Kompakt. He records all his s**t live, one take to two-track. His album has several technical errors on it. I always thought they were programmed in. I didn't know he did things live until after listening to the album for quite a while. I don't generally get way into minimal house stuff, but his s**t is off the chain, imho.

breitt

Post by breitt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:01 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:[Cool.

Yeah, I seem to now recall hearing you say in the past that you record live to two-track.

You ever listen to The Field? He does minimal/tech house on Kompakt. He records all his s**t live, one take to two-track. His album has several technical errors on it. I always thought they were programmed in. I didn't know he did things live until after listening to the album for quite a while. I don't generally get way into minimal house stuff, but his s**t is off the chain, imho.
I gave a listen on iTunes just now an artist called "Field." I assume it's the same as you mentioned. Good stuff. I've been getting more into this kind of "micro-house" genre lately-Ellen Allien and John Tejada, to name a few. I love the glitchy character of the work and it inspires me on my Monomachine.

I don't exactly record to two-track. I record to 16-track in Audition, do a few minor tweaks on the individual tracks, and then bounce down to 2-track. Allows for some degree of manipulation, but still keeps things simple.
Elektron Analog 4

vanitypolice
Gear: XTk, Model D, Cat, MicroKorg, Voyager RME, RE-201, Logic 8, Waldorf Edition, Komplete Synths, Sylenth1, Ultra Analog VA-1, Ozone 4, red Gibson SG.
Band: Dangerous Muse

Re: TR-909 kick drum replacements

Post by vanitypolice » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:39 pm

rivas3 wrote: seems like you should have sampled the 909 when you had it..... i mean, do you not have recordings of it from some songs you have made, sample that. and doesnt logic pro 7 have a good drum synth? but if youre looking for true analog, then yeah the mbase should be very pleasing for you.
Clearly, I sampled the c**p out of that. So I'm not too sad...

Oh and I've always found that Logic's drums sound really plugin-y but I'm probably jsut processing them wrong.
I have found that when it comes to gear, believe the hype.