New Korg Kaossilator

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:42 pm

tried one yesterday. Was quite suprised to see that my local music-shop had one, and instantly asked to try it.

Fun.

this may be the best word for what this thing is..

really fun, instant tracks and actually much better editability on the drum sequences that I expected. I also predict this will be a big hit with musicians who have never used synths or drum machines before, who will fall for the idiot-proof interface (you just can't play wrong..) and ability to jam up a fun little track in 15 minutes :)

However, I can imagine getting tires of using the same drumloops again and again, and I can see that any song made on the Kaossilator will be easily recogniced, and after a while, there will be a million tracks on the internet, all made by the kaossilator and all sounding the same..
A way around this would be to implement the kaossilator into a bigger set-up, but the lack of MIDI means the best solution would be to record as you "play" a part, and sample and loop the best part on a computer or sampler.
the price seemed a bit steep here (ca $330, same for the MiniKP), so I may pick one up on eBay instead.

It won't bring much new to your sound, but it may just be the perfect beginners synth, as you can set up a live dance-party 30 minutes after you buy it :)
That said, I just have to have one :)

onosendai

Post by onosendai » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:23 pm

I have one. Fun is the right word, i use it to create loop that i record in Ableton Live for tweaking. I also use it as a manual oscillator, plugged in a modular system.

French review here. You can also listen all the sound of the Kaossilator.
Mix & MP3 : http://onosendai.free.fr - Experimental drones : http://spaceprobe.free.fr - French blog about sound design : http://makingsound.free.fr

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:41 pm

TrondC wrote:
However, I can imagine getting tires of using the same drumloops again and again, ..
Use the one hit drums and create your own drum loops...it has that capability.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:24 pm

onosendai wrote:here. You can also listen all the sound of the Kaossilator.
that was very nice, I really like the sound of it..better than expected.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:14 pm

TrondC wrote:and after a while, there will be a million tracks on the internet, all made by the kaossilator and all sounding the same..
Everything sounds already the same... so I wouldn't worry about that!

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:15 am

wow. i didn't really want one of these until i did a little more sleuthing. gonna preorder today... how cool is it that i showed this thing (online) to my wife, and she said, "okay, yeah, go ahead and order it. it looks neat."?

UPDATE: order locked in with N*M... now, as always, we play the waiting game... :D :cry:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:11 am

Killedaway... you own every electribe but one and the kaossilator didn't appeal to you?

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:36 am

JSRockit wrote:Killedaway... you own every electribe but one and the kaossilator didn't appeal to you?
:lol:

honestly, it's because i wasn't really sure what it did. i missed the first video that made the rounds here and the fragments of info that i cobbled together initially told me it was some sort of preset pattern playing thing; i was thinking you just played some inbuilt patterns and tweaked them by touching the pad. now i have a better idea of what it does, so i'm on board.

i'm guessing the default sounds are going to be used and abused by just about everyone, which is okay, but i foresee myself pushing this thing thru a distortion pedal and maybe a bit crusher, or something similar, and pulling some loops off it. then off they'll go to the ESX. that's what i do with my Nanoloop anyway.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:18 am

killedaway wrote:
i'm guessing the default sounds are going to be used and abused by just about everyone, which is okay, but i foresee myself pushing this thing thru a distortion pedal and maybe a bit crusher, or something similar, and pulling some loops off it. then off they'll go to the ESX. that's what i do with my Nanoloop anyway.
I think the ideal partner for the Kaossilator is the Korg Mini KP... that is the battery powered pair I plan on using anyway.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:29 am

JSRockit wrote: I think the ideal partner for the Kaossilator is the Korg Mini KP... that is the battery powered pair I plan on using anyway.
i love the battery powered aspect of the mini KP, but i struggle with buying it and not just going full-bore and getting the KP2 or 3 instead.

i will say that i cannot wait to take my Kaossilator around town in my coat pocket with some earbuds. wife wants me to come along and do some shopping for a few hours? no problem... :D

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:29 am

killedaway wrote:i will say that i cannot wait to take my Kaossilator around town in my coat pocket with some earbuds. wife wants me to come along and do some shopping for a few hours? no problem... :D
exactly :lol: they should really make more gear like this. gear that portable, unique, cheap and highly entertaining.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:20 pm

killedaway wrote:wow. i didn't really want one of these until i did a little more sleuthing. gonna preorder today... how cool is it that i showed this thing (online) to my wife, and she said, "okay, yeah, go ahead and order it. it looks neat."?

UPDATE: order locked in with N*M... now, as always, we play the waiting game... :D :cry:
haha, I had the same experience with my girlfriend :) But then again, she is also encouraging me to save up to get a huge Doepfer-system "because they look so cool" :) But I'll definately get a Kaossilator, but I'll wait for the price to drop a little.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:24 pm

killedaway wrote:
JSRockit wrote: I think the ideal partner for the Kaossilator is the Korg Mini KP... that is the battery powered pair I plan on using anyway.
i love the battery powered aspect of the mini KP, but i struggle with buying it and not just going full-bore and getting the KP2 or 3 instead.
Yeah, I hear ya...but they will look so nice together...and will be fun on the couch.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Has anyone seen these in any US stores or received one from an online dealer in the US? According to Korg USA, they are shipping.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:46 pm

JSRockit wrote:Has anyone seen these in any US stores or received one from an online dealer in the US? According to Korg USA, they are shipping.
i've heard nothing, but i'm glad to hear they're moving now.