New Korg Kaossilator

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:03 am

killedaway wrote:
aredj wrote: That said... I personally wonder what the big draw is with the Kaossilator. Especially if you own an MX, or anything that has digital oscillators and multitimberal capabilities (AND customizable drum kits for that matter). The interface is limited, no midi, and 100 sounds - forever. Theres no changing these patches baby.
for me, the portability is certainly a factor, as is the prospect of sampling and adding effects in post.

my Nanoloop has precisely 4 sounds, and a horrifically simple sequencer. however, i can throw it in my duffel bag, take it to work and bang out a fun little pattern over lunch. when i get home, i effect the c**p out of that thing, taking what was a blippy, basic handful of notes and turning it into... well, anything, really. in direct comparison, the Kaossilator has a virtual plethora of sounds, a very accessible and immediate form of input, and was designed with live, real time input in mind.

it having only 100 sounds doesn't bother me in the slightest. after all, a piano has only one sound, right? but, ugh, people still use it? :wink:

bottom line: i think a lot of us are buying it on a whim, just like you and your KP2. some of us are likely to tire of it eventually, or just not "click" with it. when that happens, people are probably just going to flick them out on Ebay. (that's what i'll do if i don't want it anymore). i think it's worth losing a few bucks to find out if there's more to this thing than meets the eye.

Dig. The Korg seems a lot more interesting than an MP3 Player....because it's a musical device. But it has all the conveniences of a MP3 Player. I just saw the demo from sonicstate.com and it looks easy enough to stop what your doing and change when you get bored of listening to a pattern, and you'd never miss a beat. (at work, or school)

I'd much rather have one of these in my pocket than an ipod.

S
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:37 am

sonny1 wrote:I'd much rather have one of these in my pocket than an ipod.
sure, but if the Kaossilator mkII has an audio looper and some MP3 playback that would make things much easier :wink:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

lemurman
Gear: Bassline, Evolver, SH101, K-Station, EMX, MS10, XBase09, MS2000r, X0xb0x

Post by lemurman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 am

A big problem for me with these is because you can't save anything it makes it makes it much harder to use as a portable musical sketchpad (like nanoloop/QY's etc). I'm hoping that in version 2 there's at least some saving ability in it. Still looks like a fun device though. The bass player from the band I'm in has bought one to add fx/noises live.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:56 pm

Jeez, the thing costs under $199... and is at least attempting to be unique. Stop complaining about what it can't do and think about what it can do. Mine arrives on Friday.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:45 pm

Anybody her checked out the Yellow Album which is all composed straight on the Kaossilator?

http://www.reverbnation.com/136984?

Kinda works as a huge demo of it's possibilites.
I'm still not sure it's worth it, unless you have some money to burn.
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Gadgets: Pulse+_Opera 6_Jen SX1000_microKorg
Xbase 09_SK-5_CZ-3000_ESQ-1_Electone A-55_Theremin
Cracklebox_Thingamagoop_Game Boy( LSDJ )_KP3_MPD24
Tascam Porta 07_Multimix 12_Logic Studio_Live 6

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:22 am

sweet. mine shipped out today. expected delivery date is Tuesday the 5th. yay!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:53 am

killedaway wrote:sweet. mine shipped out today. expected delivery date is Tuesday the 5th. yay!
Cool...mines arrives on the 1st. I'm going to have to do a Kaossilator version of one of my songs. :oops:
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:47 am

JSRockit wrote:
killedaway wrote:sweet. mine shipped out today. expected delivery date is Tuesday the 5th. yay!
Cool...mines arrives on the 1st. I'm going to have to do a Kaossilator version of one of my songs. :oops:
i'd like to hear that. you had this one in particular that i really liked, but it doesn't seem like it's on your myspace anymore. do you swap out your tracks from time to time?

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:43 am

that was fun to listen, specially for a whole album made just by one device using a X-Y pad live as the controller.

breitt

Post by breitt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:01 am

crystalmsc wrote:
that was fun to listen, specially for a whole album made just by one device using a X-Y pad live as the controller.
Korg better be paying this guy a million dollars because that's one h**l of a product promotion. Its' quite amazing that sounds and songs of that caliber can come out of one little Korg gadget. Makes me feel even shittier that I can't come close to this even with $8K + of equipment.
Elektron Analog 4

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:10 am

breitt wrote:Makes me feel even shittier that I can't come close to this even with $8K + of equipment.
where's some of your stuff? i wanna hear. (especially that 777)

breitt

Post by breitt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:35 am

killedaway wrote:
breitt wrote:Makes me feel even shittier that I can't come close to this even with $8K + of equipment.
where's some of your stuff? i wanna hear. (especially that 777)
Most of my stuff is not worth hearing, but it's meaningful to me when I create it and it also helps keep the child mortality rate in my neighborhood at a more socially acceptable level. I've used many different machines over the past 3 years and the way things are shaking out, it appears that the Spectralis (which I sold, naturally) was the beast that inspired me the most. It also frustrated me the most, but I recently purchased the Polymorph, which, at least, has some of the Spectralis spirit residing within.

Anyway, here's a couple I did a year-and-a-half ago on the Spectralis:

http://home.comcast.net/~breitt/Podcast ... onster.mp3
and
http://home.comcast.net/~breitt/Podcast ... ospunk.mp3

Here's a gritty, little, electro-punk sample of me basically playing 1 or 2 patterns on the 777 with, I believe a tr-909. It's a little homage to the stain that Black Sabbath left upon my soul as a wayward American youth in the late 1970's. This is not typically the way to use a 777. For true expertise, look up some files posted by Shagghie, 23 or several others here.
http://home.comcast.net/~breitt/Podcasts/Black_Acid.mp3
Elektron Analog 4

lemurman
Gear: Bassline, Evolver, SH101, K-Station, EMX, MS10, XBase09, MS2000r, X0xb0x

Post by lemurman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:32 am

JSRockit wrote:Jeez, the thing costs under $199... and is at least attempting to be unique. Stop complaining .
Eh? Just discussing it's pro's and con's. I think it looks like a lot of fun.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:56 am

breitt wrote: Anyway, here's a couple I did a year-and-a-half ago on the Spectralis:

http://home.comcast.net/~breitt/Podcast ... onster.mp3
and
http://home.comcast.net/~breitt/Podcast ... ospunk.mp3
the first one is like a mix of Bites-era Skinny Puppy and Suicide! :D the second one is a little different, since it sounds a bit more upbeat -- in the back of my mind, though, i hear a sinister vocal or maybe some short spoken phrase that repeats something creepy to juxtapose the poppy-ness of it (don't listen to me, that's just my mind wandering).
Here's a gritty, little, electro-punk sample of me basically playing 1 or 2 patterns on the 777 with, I believe a tr-909. It's a little homage to the stain that Black Sabbath left upon my soul as a wayward American youth in the late 1970's. This is not typically the way to use a 777. For true expertise, look up some files posted by Shagghie, 23 or several others here.
http://home.comcast.net/~breitt/Podcasts/Black_Acid.mp3
ya know, it's refreshing to hear this. like you said, it's not the typical usage of a 777. i love using my stuff in ways they weren't really intended, as it often leads to very interesting results. by the way, this track sounds a lot like one i did several years back that was a pseudo-tribute to nine inch nails' March of The Pigs, which is also kinda what yours reminds me of (i'd love to post it for a comparison but i've not seen hide nor hair of it in years). yours is definitely synth punk. and again, this one sounds very Suicide-esque as well.

thanks very much for sharing those!

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:12 am

killedaway wrote:i love using my stuff in ways they weren't really intended, as it often leads to very interesting results.
yes, that's what keep things fresh. What makes experimenting with Karma interesting.