New Korg Kaossilator

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ndkent

Post by ndkent » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:39 am

bandreject wrote:
crystalmsc wrote:hmm, that looks photoshoped to me, but the idea is hot! I want one.
Making new product with new features, and packing it in a design used by a machine considered "cheaper version of something" is a marketing suicide. :D
Well it makes a lot of marketing sense in that the Kaoss Pad Mini has more or less a feature subset of the full size Kaoss Pad. That means features left out are still ripe for another unit . Any brand new features only help sell the new unit and then later can be sold again inside the KP4 if they decide to make one. And those who really like this new unit will wind up picking up a KP4 when it comes out because it will be much more deluxe than this one

What companies learned in the 1980s was, even though a very innovative technology can change the playing field, what really sells and keeps development costs down are a lot of tried and true features with just enough new ones to sell mostly the same thing a second, third or 10th time.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:52 pm

So, is this real or what? Sounds cool.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Shouldn't it be "Kaosscillator"? Or does Korg figure since they set the precedent with spelling Chaos wrong, that they need to carry it through? Or am I just confused and this product has nothing to do with oscillators?
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:35 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Shouldn't it be "Kaosscillator"? Or does Korg figure since they set the precedent with spelling Chaos wrong, that they need to carry it through? Or am I just confused and this product has nothing to do with oscillators?
Well... not really...if they want Koass...oh forget it...

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:24 pm

grondo2001 wrote:Here it is translated by babelfish

The most important functions

* Synthesizer sound, sound effects, impact things sounds (100 hochkaraetige programs)
* 31 scales, with which one can play simply clay/tone sequences always correctly intoniert
* 50 gate Arpeggio types for sophisticated rhythm figures
* Loop photographs with complex Layer function to the Over Dubbing of the cliches

More information to KAOSSILATOR shortly here on www.KORG.de
Looks like they stripped the arp from the EMX1/ESX1... which is cool!
The lack of midi is a bit of a problem for me as I'm pretty reliant on sequencers. This is aimed at a live DJ set up and seems like it could be useful for about 3 times in a set before it would start to annoy an audience.

I'm hoping they just make a larger 16X16 or 32X32 touch-pad groovebox aimed at the studio vs DJ applications. It would have everything the kaos pads had with more sample banks, better IO, aprs and the Radius or micro x soundset. Sell it for $600 - $700 which is around what the EMX1 first went for.

It's seems like something they should introduce soon as the touchscreen grid is obviosly a proven tool as the kaos pad is in it's 3rd generation in addition the market introduction of the tenori and monome...

I really liked the fun time I had with a EMX1 - if they translate a x0x style to the touchscreen it would be golden. At this point I'm cool with the Korg sounds and I think they make really fun instruments that are progressive and are well priced.

It's funny how the translation calles them cliches :D
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:24 pm

it's made in kazakhstan
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:49 am

DGX305 wrote:it's made in kazakhstan
I move that that comment be striken from the record.

The Kaossilator looks interesting, although midi in and out would be handy. I wonder how many spinoffs Korg are planning?

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:07 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
DGX305 wrote:it's made in kazakhstan
I move that that comment be striken from the record.
but... is niiiice.... NOT.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:36 am

No MIDI? WTF. :(

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:36 am

canned sounds that are going to be impossible to play predictably on a pad that small! ..i'll pass.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:49 am

Kaosys ?

With 5 keys and Colour Touch Display ?
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:05 am

It looks photoshopped, but maybe thats because its just a design at the moment. It seems interesting, but could be quite difficult to use, unless the display contains visibly sectioned led blocks, like the new kaoss pad.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:15 am

KLAXON wrote:
crystalmsc wrote:hmm, that looks photoshoped to me, but the idea is hot! I want one.
Haha, I was just about to comment that it looked like one of crystalmsc's photoshop creations. :lol:
:lol: If it's me, it'll have midi i/o/usb and 2 oct smallish keys and some drum pads to it..and yeah, I'm designing something in my mind right now :wink:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:33 pm

cartesia wrote:canned sounds that are going to be impossible to play predictably on a pad that small! ..i'll pass.
If a theremin can be played predictably, I would imagine this can be... but I have no comment on the canned sounds.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:19 pm