New Korg Kaossilator

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
megawatt

Post by megawatt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:18 pm

[quote="JSRockit"]Arp...yeah, thought of that. Not exactly what I wanted though... I'll just freewheel it.[/quote]

I'm really not sure what you are looking for. A few folks have explained how to get quantized beats in multiple posts. The arp is the tool for quantization - if you can't see how changing the sub-divisions of the tempo on 99 different arps will deliver a kick and a snare on any beat you choose then I'm not sure I understand what you want. I think this is a great piece of gear because it gives you creative solutions to its seemingly minimal feature set. Keep at it and I hope you end up finding your groove with it.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:46 pm

megawatt wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Arp...yeah, thought of that. Not exactly what I wanted though... I'll just freewheel it.
I'm really not sure what you are looking for. A few folks have explained how to get quantized beats in multiple posts. The arp is the tool for quantization - if you can't see how changing the sub-divisions of the tempo on 99 different arps will deliver a kick and a snare on any beat you choose then I'm not sure I understand what you want. I think this is a great piece of gear because it gives you creative solutions to its seemingly minimal feature set. Keep at it and I hope you end up finding your groove with it.
I don't want to use multiple arps in order to get a simple quantized beat is what I meant... though it will be good for weirder stuff as you said. I figure it is easier for me to just play in time and do it quick and dirty.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:05 pm

my bandmate got one. really cool unit. Im a big fan of the Kaoss series.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:28 pm

Has anyone connected the Kaossilator to one of those mini-kaoss pads?
most of the sounds already have a certain amount of effects but it doesn't let you pick and chose which effect with which instrument. I'm wondering if a mini-kp is a good addition...one in each pocket. ha

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:38 pm

c1t1zen wrote:Has anyone connected the Kaossilator to one of those mini-kaoss pads?
most of the sounds already have a certain amount of effects but it doesn't let you pick and chose which effect with which instrument. I'm wondering if a mini-kp is a good addition...one in each pocket. ha
Yep, I'm doing this... it seemed like the perfect companion...and it is. However, the volume drops on the Kaossilator once you run it through the Mini-KP. That's kind of annoying... the volume button on both units is for headphone volume only.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:57 am

well, i can't say i didn't know what to expect, but i'm not convinced the Kaossilator is for me. i'm the last person to pass quick judgment on a piece of gear, but i can't foresee this fitting into my setup. i will say the following:

it's tiny and light. the overall build quality is fantastic, and when i powered it on, i was really impressed at the screen, the touch-action, and above all else, the sound quality! this tiny guy BANGS with a capital B. probably the only thing its size that can sound that massive without being an mp3/MD player. it was born to spit out little loops for recording and further mangling in a sampler, and it would be great, nay, awesome, for playing live and dropping little solos over a set, or providing some twisted ambience between tracks. sucks for me that i don't do any live stuff.

i'm gonna let my wife check it out and see what she thinks, but i doubt this will replace my nanoloop for goony, pocket-sized looping madness. however, i can see someone else falling in love with it, and i'm likely going to sell this little guy soon.

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:05 am

The mini KP is a great piece of gear. Its very versatile and can be used for a number of different applications. My only problem with it is that its volume doesnt go up as high as I would like it to.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:05 pm

I think the Kaossilator and Mini-KP are keepers... sure, they are cheap and toyish... but they are capable as long as you aren't expecting the world from them. Plus, they run on batteries and take up very little space. I wish you could save loops on the Kaossilator... that is what keeps it from being a good travelling partner.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:40 pm

I agree. I played with it today at a Sam Ash and had to snag one. Couldn't help it. I know a future version will have some kind of midi and patch saving for more outlay, but this is a wicked gadget.

$199USD can't go wrong.
I have at least 4 patches so are that will become signature staples.

I also like being able to make music without looking at anything.
That said- I wish there was some kind of grid for precise fingerings.
They have the photo-sensitive laminates that when charged by natural light will glow in the dark for some time. I'm going to experiment with vellum and such and see what I can still do.

I have that complaint about all the Koas pads though.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:20 am

i stopped in at the local Guitar Center yesterday to see if i could pick one up but none were in stock (only the mini-KP). looking it up in their system, they said that none of the stores have received any yet but according to their status code, they could expect it in any day now. until then, it is special order only.

the sales guy gave me a price of $169 only - no badgering on my part required though i am a regular there. i prepaid on the spot - now i'm just waiting for the phone call that it has arrived in.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:45 am

SubliminalEffect wrote:
the sales guy gave me a price of $169 only - no badgering on my part required though i am a regular there. i prepaid on the spot - now i'm just waiting for the phone call that it has arrived in.
Good price... I paid $185. An f**k GC wouldn't give me anything off the Mini-KP...so I paid the full $199 because I wanted to try it with the Kaossilator so bad.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:36 pm

JSRockit wrote:because I wanted to try it with the Kaossilator so bad.
I think both going to rock together, how do you like it so far?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:45 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
JSRockit wrote:because I wanted to try it with the Kaossilator so bad.
I think both going to rock together, how do you like it so far?
They are cool so far... though I've only really used both together for a matter of an hour or two.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Perhaps you guys can help me...

What exactly does the kaossilator do? "No previous experience required". Do you just tweak cheesy preset factory patterns?

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:44 pm

Some of the beats are cheesy, there's about 9 of those. All the rest is up to the player cause there are no other patterns. The X axis is the pitch which you can set for any scale...There's like 30 scales and three octaves for you to pick a Key. The Y axis is effects. You can't change the effects for each sound but most are setup in interesting ways. You can record two bar loops, 8 steps. It has 99 different sounds (presets) not to many cheesy ones, like I said earlier I prefer these over the MS2000 or MicroKorg presets. You can select from 39 gate/arp patterns to create interesting rhythms, basslines or stuttering pads. Lots of options to really create something of your own on the fly.

The beauty of the unit is it's pocketable and you can scratch out ideas anywhere. 4 AA batteries, heaphones and two fingers.

PS. I'm in no way implying this is better then an MS2000 or MicroKorg...You get lots of modulation and routing setups possible with those two. I just don't care for most of the presets on them.