New Korg Kaossilator

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:53 pm

US$236 ... seems high for a device with no MIDI

what a glaring omission. i can't believe Korg left MIDI out. i guess they are assuming only DJ's are going to use it. :roll:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:00 pm

StepLogik wrote:US$236 ... seems high for a device with no MIDI

what a glaring omission. i can't believe Korg left MIDI out. i guess they are assuming only DJ's are going to use it. :roll:
I think it will be $199 in the US. Why would only DJs us it? Anyone can use it... it is a cheap rompler with a fun way of controlling pitch and modulation. It is simple and that's cool...$200 isn't much.

Midi out? I guess some people want to use this to control all their other synths? If this does well...you will see an upgraded version with thiose features.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:40 pm

i was actually thinking MIDI IN so it could be sync'd. But, if it generates interesting phrases, a MIDI OUT would be useful too. Just my opinion...

i do agree that if it sells well, there will probably be an upgraded version with more features.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:55 pm

It sounds like a digital Persephone http://www.eowave.com/page_produit?prod=5 with some features that allow it to be easier to control than a Persephone. Sometimes a little free hand playing of objects like this can add that little something extra to a track. Adding midi in seems like it would make this unit pretty dull (unless I guess you want to sunc those arps)...since the sounds are probably rompler type sounds...there are alot of better options for the cash if that's what you want. Midi out would be cool...if you could control other synths like you supposedly control the internal synth of this pad.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:32 pm

I just saw this in my Musician's Friend catalog, so it must be real. Looks like it'd be a fun toy.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:39 am

sure why not...

With the emphasis on scales and arps it will probably be very easy to play fun little lines. Seems like it would get old quick though - looks like fun at a party with a tenori 2.0 and magical bullhorn.

for me - in need of a sequencer for my lines this is a no no no. KP3 maaaaybe but more for the FX and sampler.

Gimme a new Kaos/Tribe
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:26 am

megawatt wrote:looks like fun at a party with a tenori 2.0 and magical bullhorn.
s**t, I'll back you up on stylophone, butt probe, and jaw harp...

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:30 am

JSRockit wrote:I'll back you up on butt probe...
:shock:

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:57 am

No midi seems like a huge problem if a main feature is the arp. Sounds like a fun toy, but without it's just not an instrument. Does the miniKP have midi/beat-sync effects. That seems like the whole appeal to me.
so what do I put down here now?

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:02 am

Tyler2000 wrote:Sounds like a fun toy
My take as well. Which is not meant to totally knock it. It's not my flavor, but I know some you guys get great things out of toy-ish instruments.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:34 pm

Tyler2000 wrote:No midi seems like a huge problem if a main feature is the arp.
Why? many older synths had arps and no midi! You guys are killing me with this... I use midi and sequencers alot, but don't you do anything free hand? It adds a little flavor to your music and a bit of unpredictability. Everybody concentrates on what devices don't offer instead of what they do offer. If you need Midi, this is not your product...there are many others that fit the bill. However, there are not many things out there that are like this unit. Even if a bit toyish, it is semi unique and should be fun.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:44 pm

JSRockit wrote:Even if a bit toyish, it is semi unique and should be fun.
yes, my synthy sense say yes :) I'm excited with this one.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

kk994

Post by kk994 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:25 pm

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:30 pm

That looks like a fun little battery powered synth. I'm going to try one out no doubt. Thanks for the video.

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:54 pm

Yeah it does look dope and I like the fact that I don't need ANY previous skills to play it apparently. :) that's a relief!
- part of the fun of this is the bad translation.

But not to mock it - I think it could be useful for some - It just looks like something that they will package into a hopefully larger package at some point - it seems stripped from the EMX arp...

For the price this still looks like a lot of fun.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH