New Korg Kaossilator

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:16 pm

Whoa. That thing does look fun in that video. I may have to try one of these things after all. I'm already thinking about running it through all the crazy effects racks I've built in Live.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:12 pm

after seeing the video, i *really* think it needs MIDI now! (sorry JSRockit :lol: )

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:29 pm

StepLogik wrote:after seeing the video, i *really* think it needs MIDI now! (sorry JSRockit :lol: )
Then Korg should have just made this thing a rompler box instead of trying to do anything new.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:59 pm

JSRockit wrote:
StepLogik wrote:after seeing the video, i *really* think it needs MIDI now! (sorry JSRockit :lol: )
Then Korg should have just made this thing a rompler box instead of trying to do anything new.
well to keep this conversation lighthearted - like I've said this doesn't seem like something really something truly new for them - it's just stripped features from their other products recombined into something else with batteries. If you want to the arp/scale feature with midi check out the EMX - If you want the touchscreen synth get a kaos pad. If you want them both in pocket sized synth then this is your bag. But for someone like myself who isn't a very good soloist this looks like a cool little synth but come to think of it - I just don't have a lot of synth solo's in my music.

And it does have trumpet sounds and is in fact box :D just kidding though! I love that korg continues to make progressive instruments - I'm just not sure if this is one of them yet.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:26 pm

megawatt wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
well to keep this conversation lighthearted - like I've said this doesn't seem like something really something truly new for them - it's just stripped features from their other products recombined into something else with batteries. If you want to the arp/scale feature with midi check out the EMX - If you want the touchscreen synth get a kaos pad. If you want them both in pocket sized synth then this is your bag.
Sure, it is a knock off of the kaoss pad...but it takes a little feature in the Kaoss pad and makes into to a full blown idea. IMHO, this unit is not like the EMX-1 at all... the arp on that machine is limited to up and down...not up, down, left right, and all in between. Plus, this is a handheld device... Kraftwerk would have died for this back in the day....now we are all spoiled and want everything to be perfect.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:26 pm

its a cool toy for sure. i'm not bashing it. i just know that I would want to be able to sync it up with a sequencer or laptop and that feature seems essential to me. if it actually generates interesting melody lines, being able to control something else (say, a vintage mono) would also be a great feature. adding MIDI to it doesn't just make it a "ROMpler" box. it just allows its cool performance features to be integrated instead of stand-alone.

if they make a version with MIDI I would definitely pick it up.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:43 pm

JSRockit wrote:Kraftwerk would have died for this back in the day....now we are all spoiled and want everything to be perfect.
Interesting way of putting it, and probably very true. Well, I know the second half is true. The first half really intrigues me though.

:)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:32 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Kraftwerk would have died for this back in the day....now we are all spoiled and want everything to be perfect.
Interesting way of putting it, and probably very true. Well, I know the second half is true. The first half really intrigues me though.

:)
Oh, I meant as a stage prop.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:33 pm

StepLogik wrote:its a cool toy for sure. i'm not bashing it. i just know that I would want to be able to sync it up with a sequencer or laptop and that feature seems essential to me. if it actually generates interesting melody lines, being able to control something else (say, a vintage mono) would also be a great feature. adding MIDI to it doesn't just make it a "ROMpler" box. it just allows its cool performance features to be integrated instead of stand-alone.

if they make a version with MIDI I would definitely pick it up.
Unless I'm confused...he wanted Midi in... I said midi out would be cool since you can control other stuff with it.

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:01 pm

midi in and midi out would both be useful and would not really screw up the usefulness of the instrument.

Personally I make my music solo. I don't have a drummer. I'm not a very good drummer myself. Therefore I use drum machines. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the only legit way to have the arp running in time with my drums would be use midi sync. And yes I have thought of tap tempo, but that just never works for me. It always drifts, even if it's just my electribes.

Midi out is also valid, because using the scale system on other synths would be really fun.

If you want to be boring you could just control the sounds via midi, but that seems kind of silly considering the price range and what it actually is in terms of sound engine.

As always, I wish this Kaoss would allow user-selectable parameters. Just a second job-wheel would be all we need.

edit: I just finished watching the video. It now needs midi less in one way and more in another. I like that you can compose simple on-the-fly tracks with it. That would be great busking gear. On the other hand now it sort of make me want midi more because I could do cool multi-tracked songs on other gear in an abstract/uniq format. Oh well, it just got way more cool points for the lock/loop/record/multitrack stuff.
so what do I put down here now?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:10 am

f**k midi. :lol: Do theremins have midi? :wink:

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:38 am

Sprocket wrote:f**k midi. :lol: Do theremins have midi? :wink:
Neither does my string bass :D - and I know that most every (non-synth) type of musician doesn't need to rely on midi either.

I really do agree with you that Midi is totally unnecessary on this yellow submarine - but still I'm holding out until after the winter namm show. (don't worry midi I've still got your back) - and I'd not want my comments to be read discouragement to companies from trying new things but in this case they're not listening anyway -

it's just that the RCA interface on this thing has been moaned about for years and years. Whether or not it's better - Korg still hasn't listened to the reviewers and users for the last few years since the original release.I'm hoping this new thing is just the tip of the iceberg.

At the end of the day $200 is still a lot of money...but comparatively affordable. I just want the future to happen now.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:55 am

it sure doesnt need midi to be useful, but, i did notice that the note hunting just sounded like a bunch of glisses...i wonder if it has a smooth portamento type voice that'd make it glide from note to note instead. if so, then i want two of em!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:11 am

megawatt wrote:
Sprocket wrote:f**k midi. :lol: Do theremins have midi? :wink:
Neither does my string bass :D - and I know that most every (non-synth) type of musician doesn't need to rely on midi either.

I really do agree with you that Midi is totally unnecessary on this yellow submarine - but still I'm holding out until after the winter namm show. (don't worry midi I've still got your back) - and I'd not want my comments to be read discouragement to companies from trying new things but in this case they're not listening anyway -

it's just that the RCA interface on this thing has been moaned about for years and years. Whether or not it's better - Korg still hasn't listened to the reviewers and users for the last few years since the original release.I'm hoping this new thing is just the tip of the iceberg.

At the end of the day $200 is still a lot of money...but comparatively affordable. I just want the future to happen now.
I'm with you on korg and the RCA ins and outs. I don't mind this one since it is only outs... but for ins, I hate RCAs. It seems so silly to take a 1/4" mono out down to one side of an RCA in and then back out from RCA to 1/4"...not everything is stereo in our world. I would have bought a Kaoss Pad if it had 1/4" ins and outs already.

See, $200 is not alot in the synth world...especially for hardware. This think is cool without Midi... but I guess it would be even more useful with it. However, I truly believe this is more of the type of synth use use in moderation, not in every song. It is a cool device...and is cheap enough for some people to hack the c**p out of.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:55 pm

video removed :twisted: , I missed it