work-horse synth suggestions

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
derma_tek
Band: Derma-Tek

work-horse synth suggestions

Post by derma_tek » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:11 am

i'm looking to get a second work-horse synth [good at leads,pads,strings,bass,etc.], currently my virus kb is filling the spot, but i'd like to get something else to mix it up a bit to use in addition to the rest of my gear. just curious of what suggestions you guys might have.

-can be analog or va doesn't matter [no romplers please]
-poly
-i'd like to keep it in the $1200 and under price range new or used doesn't matter

my gearlist is below of what i already have.

thanks in advance guys

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:21 am

Looking at your setup I would say that you could use a bread and butter synth like a Motif.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:21 am

for that amount, if it didn't have to be one synth, I'd get two or more like the MicrowaveXT or MKS-70 + PG-800 for the string/pad sound and I'd get a Pulse+ or MFB synth II for bass/lead machine. based on your list, an analog poly synth or some Waldorf will add some nice colour. Also a 3 oscs mono, specially the VCO one. but if it have to be one synth, the ION is good for an all around vintage sounding VA.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:36 pm

Elektron Monomachine....used.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:43 pm

When I think workhorse in that price range I think of something that can ocver a lot of ground that I can rely on time and time again.

A suggestion....
V-Synth / XT -fully loaded its a:
Sample mangler
VA -
FX/Cosm box
Rompler
D50 - LA synthesis
Vocoder
Looper
and has a gigantic sound.

If that's not your style than Rocket's suggestion of the monomachine would go nicely too - plus you already know the interface.

I also love love love my P8 and consider it a huge workhorse but that's in different price range.
Last edited by megawatt on Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

derma_tek

Post by derma_tek » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:45 pm

crystalmsc wrote:for that amount, if it didn't have to be one synth, I'd get two or more like the MicrowaveXT or MKS-70 + PG-800 for the string/pad sound and I'd get a Pulse+ or MFB synth II for bass/lead machine. based on your list, an analog poly synth or some Waldorf will add some nice colour. Also a 3 oscs mono, specially the VCO one. but if it have to be one synth, the ION is good for an all around vintage sounding VA.
yeah, i'm starting to lean towards some of the waldorf stuff, i had thought about perhaps a nord lead 2x, but the thought of having a close to 1000 patches with only numbers and no patch names seems kinda silly.

aba81102

Post by aba81102 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:01 pm

For about half the amount you are willing to spend you could get a fully loaded K2000 with Rom boards and sampling option in either keyboard or rack version.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:10 pm

You should definitely think about a Nord Lead 2/x - they are lovely sounding synths and good all-rounders. Perhaps back it up-as its cheap secondhand-with another dirtier mono as suggested above....

Or maybe save and get a Prophet 08 or Andromeda?

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:14 pm

If you have $1200.00 save a few hundred more and get a REAL work horse and a REAL analog. A Prophet '08. In a few months, the price will go down, I've read some going for $1800.00 right now. Hold off and get something worth having. I bought my Prophet 5 back in 1981, used it on the road 6 nights a week for 3 years, and used it extensively (but no 6 nights a week) for all the other years I've had it. So I got my money's worth out if it. If you get a P'08, you will have a great 8 voice analog synth, with a sequencer and ARP, in a quality box with nice keybed. A lifetime investment. :!:

Mike T.

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:19 pm

miket156 wrote:If you have $1200.00 save a few hundred more and get a REAL work horse and a REAL analog. A Prophet '08. In a few months, the price will go down, I've read some going for $1800.00 right now. Hold off and get something worth having. I bought my Prophet 5 back in 1981, used it on the road 6 nights a week for 3 years, and used it extensively (but no 6 nights a week) for all the other years I've had it. So I got my money's worth out if it. If you get a P'08, you will have a great 8 voice analog synth, with a sequencer and ARP, in a quality box with nice keybed. A lifetime investment. :!:

Mike T.
Honeymoon period aside +1000 on this. My personal search for the perfect analog poly has ended and I too feel the P8 will be a lifelong instrument.

The idea of replacing it with a Nordlead2 (which I've owned) horrifies me.

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:18 pm

Megawatt:

Congrats on your new baby! Dave Smith builds quality instruments that last. You should have it for years. My Prophet is STILL an amazing instrument. Enjoy your new rendition! :!:

Mike T.

derma_tek

Post by derma_tek » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:34 pm

miket156 wrote:If you have $1200.00 save a few hundred more and get a REAL work horse and a REAL analog. A Prophet '08. In a few months, the price will go down, I've read some going for $1800.00 right now. Hold off and get something worth having. I bought my Prophet 5 back in 1981, used it on the road 6 nights a week for 3 years, and used it extensively (but no 6 nights a week) for all the other years I've had it. So I got my money's worth out if it. If you get a P'08, you will have a great 8 voice analog synth, with a sequencer and ARP, in a quality box with nice keybed. A lifetime investment. :!:

Mike T.
yeah the prophet '08 is already a definite buy for me :)

may i ask where you've seen it for $1800, i'm guessing ebay?

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:47 pm

derma_tek wrote:
yeah the prophet '08 is already a definite buy for me :)

may i ask where you've seen it for $1800, i'm guessing ebay?
There have been a couple on the bay.... which is strange considering that DSI offers a great return policy as do most online stores...

Personally I'd rather give my cash to DSI and while I'm sure they would be helpful if there is a problem if you buy 2nd hand - buying a new synth (new as in right off the line) without a warranty seems risky.

Anyway - yeah the 08 screams workhorse. Not to sound banal about it but one of the reasons that the P5 sold so well was the fact that you could play brass, string, organ, clavi, guitars and electric piano type sounds on it. Performers finally could use a synth in a band setting and comp...
The p08 delivers these kinds of tones in spades... and also has a great presets which will help sell it in a retail setting. (not that any user of this bad boy wouldn't be inclined to tweak and of course roll their own.)

It's pricey though - but honestly you get what you pay for - sheer class.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:55 pm

You could go for the Prophet 08, but you could also consider a first-generation Motif (with a DSP synth expansion board shoved in the back). The sounds generated by my friend's Motif 8 back in '03 still sound current, even with the ES having come and gone and the XS in its place.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:16 pm

original Nord Modular + Polysix