Jomox Xbase 999 Dial rotation.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Jomox Xbase 999 Dial rotation.

Post by kuroichi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:16 pm

This may seem a strange topic, but Im about to purchase a 999, and before I do I was wondering about the dial sensitivity.

I recently bought a Elektron MD, and dial turns would have to be twisted several full revolutions before making any major effect on the sound, there was the option of holding down the dial as you turn so that it would move in bigger increments, but that feels quite unnatural to me.

I was just wondering whether the 999 is the same... Does it take multiple turns of a dial to affect the sound?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Jomox Xbase 999 Dial rotation.

Post by JSRockit » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:16 pm

kuroichi wrote: I recently bought a Elektron MD, and dial turns would have to be twisted several full revolutions before making any major effect on the sound, there was the option of holding down the dial as you turn so that it would move in bigger increments, but that feels quite unnatural to me.
man, if you give it time, it becomes quite natural and easy.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:34 pm

At first I was thrown off by the Elektron's knobs but now appreciate that I can get very subtle changes from the setup.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:39 pm

I wasnt too keen on the MD, It just didnt go well with the way Im used to doing things and the sound wasnt how I hoped, maybe I should have tried the MD-UW instead, but it seemed too pricey to me.

Somehow, I still miss it though... :(

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:43 am

After three years of use, I can say I love, love, love the Elektron knobs. Like Rockit said, it becomes second nature. And it's part and parcel of the depth of possibility when it comes to the sound design of those boxes. You need to be able to make small tweaks because even those small tweaks make a HUGE difference.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:07 am

I wasnt that bothered when it came to editing a sound while programming, but when live tweaking, it could get in the way.
With certain sounds the effect wasnt drastic enough.

A sensitivity parameter for the dials would be good...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:11 pm

The ability to reverse the way the knobs work could help... if Elektron could implement it in the menu to allow the user to choose whether pushing down the knob and turning it is for minor or major tweaks and vise versa...it's been brought up before on elektron users.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:00 pm

JSRockit wrote:The ability to reverse the way the knobs work could help... if Elektron could implement it in the menu to allow the user to choose whether pushing down the knob and turning it is for minor or major tweaks and vise versa...it's been brought up before on elektron users.
That would be dope. Although, at this point, I'm so used to the way it is now, I doubt I would change it. It is a good idea though.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:43 pm

I wouldn't change either...but to those new to the machine...it may be a cool option.