Page 7 of 10

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:12 pm
by spiral
I don't think he was actually aiming at the EXACT sound for the brass sequence. At least not the album version

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:17 pm
by radek tymecki
madtheory wrote:Wow, that's impressive. Is JMJ going to give you a job as programmer?

It would be cool if you could get your hands on an OB 2 voice for comparison- some of the ARP sounds are not quite like the original, and I don't think it's lack of programming skill :)

Did you use the ARP sequencer, or MIDI?
OB 2 voice was on photo. OK but it doesnt mean that it was used on Equinoxe :) JMJ had Rhodes and many other things that can be seen on pictures but were not used on album.

anyway. thanx 4 comment. it's not easy to make a faithful replica :)

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:46 am
by spiral
radek tymecki wrote:
madtheory wrote:Wow, that's impressive. Is JMJ going to give you a job as programmer?

It would be cool if you could get your hands on an OB 2 voice for comparison- some of the ARP sounds are not quite like the original, and I don't think it's lack of programming skill :)

Did you use the ARP sequencer, or MIDI?
OB 2 voice was on photo. OK but it doesnt mean that it was used on Equinoxe :) JMJ had Rhodes and many other things that can be seen on pictures but were not used on album.

anyway. thanx 4 comment. it's not easy to make a faithful replica :)
But same can be said about ARP too: it was in the list and photo but that doesn't mean it was used for that sound

In fact, I've posted this question on other forums too, and so far only Soundwave here provided any reason to believe it is ARP.
The rest is just pure speculation.
Radek, you seem so sure, may I ask why? What makes you think? What are your arguments.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:52 am
by spiral
radek tymecki wrote: OB 2 voice was on photo.
And in the list of equipment for that album, listed as "oberheim polyphonic synthesizer"

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:22 am
by Micke
Jarre did use an Obie Two-voice on "Equinoxe" according to the gear list that came with the album.

The two voice also shows up in the video for E4 and it was part of Jarre's keyboard setup for the Place De La Concorde concert back in June 1979.

Moreover, it was used on the album "Concerts in China" (rec. live in Oct '81) where it apparently provided the laser-harp sound.

Micke

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:34 am
by Soundwave
I've payed on a 4voice a few times and the VCO's sound different kinda more nasally if that makes any sense?
I reckon the 2600 JMJ used was the Moog ladder one don't ask me why its just an SEM has a more upfront sound but then again with a little eq...

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:45 am
by spiral
There is a picture of Jarre studio from January 1978 showing an ARP2600 with a moog-ladder filter.

He also had an orange one later on (with a new apr filter) though I'm not sure when he got that one.

But at the time of recording of Equinoxe, he indeed did have a moog-filter ARP

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:03 am
by radek tymecki
spiral wrote:
radek tymecki wrote:
madtheory wrote:Wow, that's impressive. Is JMJ going to give you a job as programmer?

It would be cool if you could get your hands on an OB 2 voice for comparison- some of the ARP sounds are not quite like the original, and I don't think it's lack of programming skill :)

Did you use the ARP sequencer, or MIDI?
OB 2 voice was on photo. OK but it doesnt mean that it was used on Equinoxe :) JMJ had Rhodes and many other things that can be seen on pictures but were not used on album.

anyway. thanx 4 comment. it's not easy to make a faithful replica :)
But same can be said about ARP too: it was in the list and photo but that doesn't mean it was used for that sound

In fact, I've posted this question on other forums too, and so far only Soundwave here provided any reason to believe it is ARP.
The rest is just pure speculation.
Radek, you seem so sure, may I ask why? What makes you think? What are your arguments.
Michel Geiss confirmed it to me

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:59 am
by Soundwave
radek tymecki wrote: Michel Geiss confirmed it to me
Was that when he visited the ole Jarre.net forum years back regarding his comments on Aero? (Jarre geek alert everyone! :roll: )
I remember him saying about the Oxygene 4 lead being an ARP too.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:51 pm
by spiral
radek tymecki wrote:
spiral wrote:
radek tymecki wrote: OB 2 voice was on photo. OK but it doesnt mean that it was used on Equinoxe :) JMJ had Rhodes and many other things that can be seen on pictures but were not used on album.

anyway. thanx 4 comment. it's not easy to make a faithful replica :)
But same can be said about ARP too: it was in the list and photo but that doesn't mean it was used for that sound

In fact, I've posted this question on other forums too, and so far only Soundwave here provided any reason to believe it is ARP.
The rest is just pure speculation.
Radek, you seem so sure, may I ask why? What makes you think? What are your arguments.
Michel Geiss confirmed it to me
why the heck didn't you say that in the first place. lol

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:52 pm
by spiral
Soundwave wrote:
radek tymecki wrote: Michel Geiss confirmed it to me
Was that when he visited the ole Jarre.net forum years back regarding his comments on Aero? (Jarre geek alert everyone! :roll: )
I remember him saying about the Oxygene 4 lead being an ARP too.
I wouldn't be surprised he talked with him in person actually.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:58 pm
by Synthprophet
If you are good you can get in contact with Michel Geiss :wink:
As far as I remember Radek did also make a replica of Oxygene 4 using an ARP2600, so did another ARP2600 owner on the old jarre.net forum. Not that it's an advanced sound but still... We can expect that Jarre used the ARP alot by that time.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:59 pm
by spiral
It's equinoxe4 not oxygene

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:04 pm
by Synthprophet
spiral wrote:It's equinoxe4 not oxygene
My post was a reply to Soundwave who talked about the Oxygene 4 lead.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:05 pm
by minime123
one day micke will reveal how he knows all this synth trivia! :)