J6 vs. P'08 vs ??? - help me pick an analog poly!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
7Hz

J6 vs. P'08 vs ??? - help me pick an analog poly!

Post by 7Hz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:16 pm

I am looking to get myself a classy analog polysynth. I am currently leaning toward the Jupiter 6 as a good value, quality synth, with a good tone. I am looking for good electro type sounds, smooth and lush strings, spacey pads, funky keys, and general analog fun.

Currently, my Pro One is on Bass, and seems happy there, my MKS-30 is on strings and other poly keys... it is a great box, especially for the price, but I find it a bit limited, and the chorus is a bit of a double edged sword, so I want to upgrade to a more full quality instrument. My MS-10 and Arp Axxe take care of incidental analog tones. MPC-4000 on drums.

Budget is from about £800 up to £1500, with the top end of that price range needing to be a spectacular synth (bearing in mind my MKS-30 + PG-200 cost me about £90).

Keyboard or rack is fine. In fact, a rack would be more practical, as space is somewhat limited, but a keyboard the size of a J6 is about max I could go for ATM.

The Jupiter 6 seems a good price ATM. I have never met one face to face, but the sounds on the WWW interest me, and it comes recommended.

I recently played with the SunSyn for a short time, and wasn't totally enamoured with it (complicated and too many way-out-there sounds, boring interface).

I had my eyes on an MKS-80, but it seems to be getting more expensive now, and I'm not sure it is as versatile as the J6.

The Prophet '08 is a very interesting development. From the sounds I am hearing on the web, it is a nice bit of kit, but I am not totally convinced it has a distinctive character compared to the Jupiter 6, and also not sure it is as versatile. It's also a lot more expensive.

Not sure about the Andromeda sounds or character, the looks seem dated already, and I worry about the reliability.

I love my Pro One, but even if I found a Prophet 5 in my price range, I am not sure it has the right sound for me, a bit too straight and weighty?

Moog type things like the Memorymoog or the Omega 8 would be lovely, but again I'm not 100% that the sound is right for me, and cost for these units is OTT.

I've not really got to know Oberheims, maybe there is something in there worth looking at, but harder to find?

Well, that's my thoughts for now, any advice would be much appreciated!
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:34 pm

before I say anything else, I should state that I've actually never played any of the synths your interested in, but I am interested in them just the same :)
with that in mind, it seems like given all your suggestions, the PE08 and Jup-6 pairing is probably the most realistic in terms of price, sounds...
I think the main thing to consider is which do you find more attractive:
-good sounding multi-mode filter (jup-6)
or
more extensive modulation routings (pe08)?

you don't seem to have anything else with multi-mode capabilities, so that would bend me towards the jup, except you also have to take into considertation its extremely limited midi ability, and greater potential for breakdown/repair.
if you don't care about the filter as much, then the PE08 is probably the better bet.
ultimately, the andromeda is probably the best of the three, but a little more expensive (i don't think the relibability issues are too much to worry about). hope that helps.
Do you even post on vse bro?

kaz uno

Post by kaz uno » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:58 pm

Sunsyn: too many way out there sounds? you know you can program it to have other sounds than the presets right? the Sunsyn is an absolute beast. what do you mean by "boring interface"?

A6: looks are dated??? screw what it looks like, the A6 is another beast, you need to check this out if you are in the market for it, so much fun to mess with, very inspiring instrument.

MKS-80: fat as h**l J8 sound, but if complicated and mind-numbing is not your thing, then you probably won't like editing this one, i'd skip it unless you were to get a great deal on it.

the J6 is old, sounds good, but i have known many j6 owners and not a one got by without some kind of technical problem, i would avoid it if you have the money to get something newer and more reliable....
Andromeda - Moog LP SE - Waldorf Micro Q - Motif ES - GEM RP-X - MPC2000XL
www.myspace.com/kaz1

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:46 pm

I'd say go for the Jup and get the Europa .. still cheaper than the P '08 ..

The only thing is the Jup lacks sometimes in the bass department .. my friend uses his Pro-One usually for bass though :)

I think the Jup is great for electro.

I agree. The A6 looks awful... like trance and aliens awful.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Re: J6 vs. P'08 vs ??? - help me pick an analog poly!

Post by clusterchord » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:38 am

7Hz wrote:I am looking for good electro type sounds,
that fits Jupiter 6 very nicely, but also Prophet 5 and Jupiter8. on lower end of things, juno60/106 too.. Europa would make JP6 even more interesting.
7Hz wrote:smooth and lush strings, spacey pads, and general analog fun... my MKS-30 is on strings.. chorus is a bit of a double edged sword
know exactly what you mean, for this you need a inherently organic and warm instrument. no chorus required. of all boards you were considering in your post, Andromeda fits this bill the best - really does smooth n creamy pads convincingly. another option, that does insanely smooooth strings and beautiful glassy multimode sweeps, paired with very deep engine a la A6, is Xpander.
7Hz wrote:I had my eyes on an MKS-80, but.. I'm not sure it is as versatile as the J6.
it is. it lacks multimode filter, but ads velocity and aftertouch as modulation sources which isn't a small matter - this can make your sequences come alive.. (also i prefer xp/a6 multimode to jp6's). however, if choosing MKS-80, keep in mind that for fast n cutting stuff - electro leads, pops, bleeps, basses, arpeggios, stabs.. you probably want Revision4, and for rich poly duties: sweep pads, voxy ,brass, strings Revision 5[/quote]

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

prophei

Post by prophei » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:57 am

i would buy the andromeda. it is an easy choice for me. i have loved mine since the day i bought it, and have yet to find a type of analog sound it can't do.

that said, the only gripe i have with it (and it is a small one) is that the env's are not as fast as i would prefer. this is only an issue with certain types of bass sounds (or making custom drum sounds), and is a complete non-issue for pads or things of that sort.

also, the extensive modulation in the A6 is a sight to behold.
andromeda > polyevolver keyboard > ms-20 > oberheim two voice > arp 2600 > minimoog > custom modular system > polivoks > roland SVC-350 > jomox mbase01 > sh2 > acidlab > tr-808 > drumtrax > korg dvp-1 > protools hd3 > mac dual 2.0 G5

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Post by Raiven » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:10 am

I can't even believe you think those two synths are comparable.

The P'08 not versatile or as versatile as a Jupiter 6!? :lol:

The Jupiter 6 is a nice synth for around $750. It doesn't even compete with a Nord Lead 2X at $1000 much less a P'08.

Dave Smith just gave anypody else making an analog polysynth the finger.

The Prophet 08 is damn near semi-modular.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:26 am

Raiven wrote: Dave Smith just gave anypody else making an analog polysynth the finger.
yeah, but he might as well have shoved it where the sun don't shine without a multi-mode filter! :?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Post by Raiven » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:31 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Raiven wrote: Dave Smith just gave anypody else making an analog polysynth the finger.
yeah, but he might as well have shoved it where the sun don't shine without a multi-mode filter! :?
Add a Kaoss Pad. :lol:

Nothing I'm loosing sleep over. :D
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

yburn

Post by yburn » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:09 am

I had a go on a P8 yesterday and it's a nice sounding machine and very flexible. It's also smaller and more portable that any other analog poly. Midi on my MEK is excellent and everything just works so I see no reason why it would be different on the P8.

The only thing I can think of against the Alesis A6 is that if you buy 2nd hand to stay in your budget there was a batch that had problems, an A6 owner could probably tell you more. The do sound incredibly lush/ big/ powerful.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks everyone - I went with a Jupiter 6 with Europa, loving it! I am sure the P'08 and the A6 are going to be worth checking out, but both are significantly more expensive than the J6, and I am a sucker for the old Roland sound and hi pass filters :D

p.s. whoever mentioned Nord in this thread, please wash your mouth out with soap... I had the 'pleasure' of using a Nord Lead 2 in a studio for a few years, I don't think we ever got a convincing tone out of that box :? :lol: Never did get it to fit into a track properly, ANY analog tone beats it, yes even a VL Tone!
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:07 pm

7Hz wrote:yes even a VL Tone!
That's a rather bold statement. :lol:

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:17 pm

I'd have to agree.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:21 pm

7Hz wrote:p.s. whoever mentioned Nord in this thread, please wash your mouth out with soap...
I had the mispleasure of owning the orginal nord lead and thought it was a horrible board....I did enjoy the Nord Modular G1 and micro....
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:12 pm

Raiven wrote:I can't even believe you think those two synths are comparable.

The P'08 not versatile or as versatile as a Jupiter 6!? :lol:

The Jupiter 6 is a nice synth for around $750. It doesn't even compete with a Nord Lead 2X at $1000 much less a P'08.
Ah yes. this is the quote I had a problem with. Too many non-facts here for me:

JP-6 seems to go for at least $1100 these days, plus Europa is another $200.

JP-6 and I'm sure P'08 kick a Nord Leads a$$, rob it, then throw it into the garbage in a back alley :lol:

IMHO the JP-6 with europa and the P'08 are fairly comparable synths, looking forward to playing with a P'08, but for the moment, the JP-6 won on terms of cost and vibe (for me).
wiss wrote:I did enjoy the Nord Modular G1 and micro....
The Micromodular was fun for the price, but my hands got tired making patches in the computer, and the sound is very bright and non-organic to me.
OriginalJambo wrote:
7Hz wrote:yes even a VL Tone!
That's a rather bold statement. :lol:
Bold, but TBH true, i would choose a VL Tone + sampler over a nord lead any day of the week for making a track :D