Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskins rendition of 'It's My Par

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:23 am

Thanks for posting that photo, synthetic :)

Do you think you could post a scan of the article as well?

I'm a big fan of Dave Stewart. I especially like his synth work on the albums he did with Bruford; "Feels Good To Me" (1978) and "One Of A Kind" (1979).

Dave Stewart & Colin Blunstone perfoming "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" on TOTP, March 1981:

I presume that's a prototype Prophet remote seeing as that keyboard wasn't released officially until late '81/early '82.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:47 am

sniff, whimper, ... ooh I came over all nostalgic watching that!! (especially that red Simmons kit - identical to the one I used to have! :cry: ).

It was such a short lived hit but h**l those synth sounds grabbed me when I first heard it. Between "Broken-Hearted" and "Party", Dave and Barbara sure came up with some unique and very singular cover versions (shame about Locomotion :) :wink: )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 pm

Not only did he use a prototype Prophet remote keyboard in the previous video I posted, in this vintage footage Dave Stewart appears to be using a pre-production version of the Prophet 5 rev 2:

Bill Bruford band live in concert, March 1979 (you can see it's a rev 2 at the very end of this clip)

The first rev 2 shipped in May 1979 so the instument he's using gotta be a pre-production unit.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:00 pm

As for the synths used on the singles "What becomes of the broken hearted" (1980) and "It's my party" (1981), I'm pretty sure David played his Minimoog and Prophet 5 on those.
The synth pads on both definitely sound like a Prophet 5 to me.

Aside from a borrowed Yamaha CS-80, that was the synth-setup he was using on Bruford's 1979 album "One Of A Kind" and on the live album "The Bruford tapes" (recorded live in July 1979).

Micke

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:41 pm

I just bought Bruford's One Of A Kind this morning on iTunes and have already listened to it twice. If you like synths and fusion, it's a killer album! Tons of Prophet and Mini parts playing expensive chords.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio