Sequencing melodies and drum beats using LFOs

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
wilsontherocker

Post by wilsontherocker » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:35 pm

This is the kind of the thing the synth community needs more of! Thanks so much for the effort you put into this.

I'd done things similar to what was described in the video, but never really thought about it so clearly. It's definitely a good set of tricks to have under one's belt.

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:30 pm

Great video! Inspiring!

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:30 pm

hah
great intro + episode

also, the ken burns effect gives it a over-all kinda creppy feel :D
(not you as creepy, but the pictures of the synths, programs, etc. :))
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:29 pm

I love it. I also would like to second the request for an FM tutorial if you know much about it... I might get a screen recorder and make a tutorial and video review (probably 2 separate vids) about vember audio's surge...

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Jack Spider wrote:One of the most useful and informative videos I've seen in some time - very well done, sir!

Having also watched your excellent MS2000 video (very clever!), I await further episodes with eager anticipation.
Totally agree. Top notch, good tempo and perfectly explained. How long did it take you to produce the whole thing?

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:42 pm

I'm having retriggering and tempo-drift issues when I try this myself.
so what do I put down here now?

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:28 pm

Excellent work. I watched it twice. :)

Many thanks for making these. I was thinking of selling my MS2000 until I saw the first video. lol
OriginalJambo wrote:Please, please, please for the love of God make it a tutorial on FM. If there's one type of synthesis that fazes me (and many others I'm sure!) the most that's probably it.
I'll second the vote for FM. I am befuddled by it too.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:42 pm

Nice video indeed, it's exactly the kind of thing that could push the price of ESQs up on ebay :)
virb.com/ookpikk

memo

Post by memo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:58 pm

Tyler2000 wrote:I'm having retriggering and tempo-drift issues when I try this myself.

In order to keep everything in sync
:

- The LFOs need to reset on keypress. This can be found on the LFO menu on the ESQ-1. Some synths always reset the LFOs, others do not.

- The ESQ-1 LFOs have a "Human" parameter which slightly alters the playback speed over time. Turn this off (or it will drift in and out).

- The ESQ-1 has an underpowered CPU, so if you play too many notes at the same time, the LFOs actually slow down. But you should be able to get away with a drum beat, an LFO sequenced bassline, and a simple melody on top, without it getting out of sync.

For that extra polish:

Try double routing parameters, particularly on the drums. It's really important on the ESQ-1 - it kills some nasty noise on the amp stages, and provides the best possible kick drum when controlling pitch.

memo

Post by memo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:13 pm

Vxster wrote:How long did it take you to produce the whole thing?
About 40 hours or so total work time, partly because I'm learning the video side of things as I go along. Hopefully I can crank them out faster once I know what I'm doing.

machvingtsun

Post by machvingtsun » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:43 pm

Very good. I actually learned a usefull technique that Im surely going to use.
Respect. Subscribed.
MnM, Red square, X60 Touchscreen laptop,Ion, HPD10

RawBC

Post by RawBC » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:53 pm

Memo, that was really great. For a starter set of videos, this is not only well done, but, as voiced by a few people here, something that is well needed in the synth community. Awesome. I work as both a producer and educator in community television, and I am very impressed. Keep up the good work. You definitely have the hang of editing, and in time you will indeed get faster. It seemed that my early projects would take forever, but that changes with practice, much like playing a piano or understanding synthesis.

If you can do it, please tally my vote to an FM synthesis episode. I definitely would like to know and understand more and get the most out of my YS200.

PS - If you do not already do this already, get used to the keyboard short cuts in editing, like "I" marking the "in point" on your edit, etc. But also go beyond the basic short cuts, and this will stream line the editing process. Make cheat sheets, too, to get the hang of it and this helps reduce menu diving. I am a totally neurotic editor, so this helps. Also, when making a series, making good use of templates of your own work and ideas definitely helps out. Instead of rebuilding something each time, do a "save as" and then update your graphics, etc. and then save the new version. I do not know if you already do this, but if not, I hope this helps.

To everyone else, sorry I just went off topic, but Memo has definitely got something good going on!
"I don't beat box, I have machines that do that..."

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:31 am

Good flick.

In my opinion, if you learn enough about LFOs then you won't need to buy true love and home grown tomatoes.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:56 am

EXcellent vid! Now watch the price of ESQ1s go through the roof!

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:24 am

hey now... i love that piece of sh#%...hence my name haha

great video. i appreciate your hard work.