XS pricing and pre-order

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:12 am

Glad to hear, I hope to god I get mine this december. I have been dying for a new synth.

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:34 am

30h5 wrote:Glad to hear, I hope to god I get mine this december. I have been dying for a new synth.
Yep, gonna be a fun holiday season. :D

breitt

Post by breitt » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:40 am

shagghie wrote:Make no mistake, the XS is going to be a ledgend in its own time, overnight. The sound is huge..massive, extravgent, raw, and electrifying. I've sold my S1MkII already in anticipation. If I can afford two, I'm getting two.

I wish I had more words and time to do a review...but I played on it for hours and hours last year... and was mesmerized. I was not expecting anything more than quality craftmanship and decent sound. What I encountered...was prophetic energy beyond compare.
So, you didn't really like it too much? :lol:
Elektron Analog 4

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:52 am

breitt wrote:
shagghie wrote:Make no mistake, the XS is going to be a ledgend in its own time, overnight. The sound is huge..massive, extravgent, raw, and electrifying. I've sold my S1MkII already in anticipation. If I can afford two, I'm getting two.

I wish I had more words and time to do a review...but I played on it for hours and hours last year... and was mesmerized. I was not expecting anything more than quality craftmanship and decent sound. What I encountered...was prophetic energy beyond compare.
So, you didn't really like it too much? :lol:
It's not that I didn't like it. I did.
It's just that now I have to figure out which of my kidneys to sell, and that's depressing, b/c I've already sold one for the ADAM P-22A's, so now I gotta pick from the other 2. We do start with THREE, right? Right? RIGHT?

bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bakeded » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:46 am

:-#
Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:29 pm

prophetic energy beyond compare
Im not sure if I want one now....

:lol:

crufty

Post by crufty » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:56 pm

I'm starting to jones for one too.

P08 / Andromeda / XS / Vermona / SSL G comp...ack.

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:30 pm

crufty wrote:I'm starting to jones for one too.

P08 / Andromeda / XS / Vermona / SSL G comp...ack.

GAS bubble about to erupt over here on VSE... hurry Jered, you're our only hope!

This thing is going to be a giant sex tornado rolling through the prairies of synthdom

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:41 am

The XS looks nice. There is only one thing bothering me, the 12db filter. I hope it's going to be an awesome sounding 12db filter.

i would have prefered more pole selection. Like the ability to swith to a 2, 3 and 4 db filter.

But it may to much asking anyway.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:59 am

Cerebral Infect wrote:The XS looks nice. There is only one thing bothering me, the 12db filter. I hope it's going to be an awesome sounding 12db filter.

i would have prefered more pole selection. Like the ability to swith to a 2, 3 and 4 db filter.

The filter sounds incredible. butter cream vanilla railguns.

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:18 am

Cerebral Infect wrote:The XS looks nice. There is only one thing bothering me, the 12db filter. I hope it's going to be an awesome sounding 12db filter.

There are like 600 examples up at the website - go listen. The filter is heroic.

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:21 am

I've also been bequeathed the honor of a few precious moments to spend with this unbelievably lovely piece of analogue history. The sound of this synth is like getting a back massage followed by a happy-ending consisting of 11 throbs of liquid love gushing. As I twisted the filter, turning that lovely saw wave into an equally blissful sine, I had visions of Christ passing bread out to poor children in Guadalajara. The attack is so quick and precise, that it delicately shaved every last hair from my scrotal and mailed them to Mother Teressa herself (in heaven). It's so fast that it passed the speed of light, distorting time in such a way that it made a sound before I even pressed a key.

This, my friends, is no ordinary synth. It is the single most important piece of carbon, since Han Solo was thawed from his carbonite prison.

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:36 am

sensorium wrote: This, my friends, is no ordinary synth. It is the single most important piece of carbon, since Han Solo was thawed from his carbonite prison.
The Force is strong with this one... it is no coincidence that the new Revolutions are described by Jered as the 'New R2 units'.
It would take an adept droid indeed, to sequence the likes of this XS-wing fighter! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh k...time for bed. :/

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:12 am

shagghie wrote:
Unless you have actually heard and played on one, there is no describing this beast properly.. Probably the single most important synth to come out in years..... the perfect form factor that others have tried to pull off and have failed.. (red square, anyone???). Make no mistake, the XS is going to be a ledgend in its own time, overnight. The sound is huge..massive, extravgent, raw, and electrifying. I've sold my S1MkII already in anticipation. If I can afford two, I'm getting two.

You sold your S1mk2 for this? So how would you compare them, since you've played both? I'm assuming you liked the S1, but you are feeling that Honeymoon stage of a new synth (for the XS). I find that facinating, because I've wanted the Cwejman over other modulars mainly for it's raw sound. Did you find the S1 flexible enough?

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:49 am

stikygum wrote:
You sold your S1mk2 for this? So how would you compare them, since you've played both? I'm assuming you liked the S1, but you are feeling that Honeymoon stage of a new synth (for the XS). I find that facinating, because I've wanted the Cwejman over other modulars mainly for it's raw sound. Did you find the S1 flexible enough?

This is a great question. One for the ages. The S1 is the ballizest synth I'd played yet. Over the MacBeth M3X, my Cwejman modular even, the SunSyn, you name it. I wanted one for a very VERY long time, and finally owned one for a good several months of playing on it every day. I found it to be tremendously flexible, and have JUST the right mix of I/O as a semi-modular.
The form factor and general layout /workflow are my personal benchmarks for how a subtractive synth should be layed out. It just makes sense.

The waveforms on the S1 are some of my favorite, especially the square and saw. The others are crazy nice too, but the square wave bases were my favorite of all time on that synth. Controlling it with the schrittmacher was 7th heaven.

So, i'm doing a horrible job of answering your question, I know. But trust me, there is NO GOOD REASON to ever sell your S1! EVER! :) Unless, like my, you are going through a divorce and are afraid to own such nice things for fear they will become part of the settlement.

As for the XS and comparing the two... both use thermo-stable oscillators and have some of that new-school 'precision' built into their character. I don't have enough time to delve in, but I'll go rigtht for it: the s1's knobs did not have the range that the XS's seemed to have. (no surprise, this is a Future Retro, after all). And, to mess up the 'precision tone' of those OSC's, the S1's overdrive circuit was simply sex. I tried not to abuse it, but i failed miserably. The XS's overdrive is yet again another world...it has that 'sweet musicality' to it that just gives the synth this AURA of character.

While both filters on the S1 are magic, and sound great...I still give the nod to the XS's. It is a custom design, and the distortion circuit was designed to tickle it perfectly. The filter on the XS has to be heard to be understood. It's somewhere between every filter you've ever heard, yet distinctly unique at the same time. You can get a flavor for it on the demos on the FR site for sure.

Attack times on either synth are the fastest in the business. S1's is like .5 on paper, but .3 if measured electronically, according to Wowa. I tend to believe him. With the schrittmacher's resoultion of 2048, I was able to seqence sounds with such short envelopes that you could barely determine the pitch....alas, somehow, the filter's envelope could still be heard 'on top' of even the shortest staccato. The XS's envelope is so fast, though, that I'd wager it is every bit as fast as the S1's. Some of my youtube videos capture this... think of a slide from C7 to C0 in the space of an atom. Or think of percussive basslines that have such a sharp attack that the monitors scoot back across the table under the Force=ImpulsexTime theorum (or whatever that one is, I've forgotten).

OSC B on the XS is a case study of excellent design and implementation. That alone makes the XS a classic in my mind, instantly. Study it.

The LFO on the XS blow the S1's out of the water. Audio rates, etc. and the way the LFO affects the mod desitination is so very musical and balanced. That is a very fine point that most people's ears will never catch..but I think it imparts a lot to any synth's character.

Ideally, you'd keep both the S1 and the XS racked next to each other and call it a day, for a good long time. But as this was not possible for me, I've chosen the XS. I haven't heard a production version yet,...but if it is at ALL like the proto I heard last year.....then I can honestly say that this would be the first 10/10 mono i've ever played. The S1 a close 2nd, at 9.5/10.

I can't imagine anyone ever regretting owning and playing an XS... it's like a Lotus Elise with a HEMI under the hood. The question is more about the user... are you a Schumacher, or a NASCAR driver? The latter need not apply.

EDIT: I realize I should really put a disclaimer on this post... I'm not an expert in synthesis design, judgment of timber, and nor does my overall experience with synths come close to that of many others. I'm actually just a really big fan, and lover of synth boxen...so, like any good disclaimer, I advise trying out the XS (if possible) and judging with your own ears and concepts of what 'makes a good synth'. At the end of the day, it's whatever works for you and your style. I just bought a red SH-101, and the PAIA Oz is one of my favorite synths of all time..so seriously folks... take this with a grain of salt!