Moog LP tribute and stage, or any other moog!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Moog LP tribute and stage, or any other moog!

Post by kuroichi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:40 pm

After long thoughts into the decision, Im gonna buy a moog .

Im thinkin about a moog LP, but Ive only had a play with the stage edition which feels quite cheap to be honest. Is the tribute edition any better quality (for example the keys or general build) I mean it does have the wood ends :)

or can anyone recommend any other moogs that they like.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:05 pm

If the LP feels cheap to you...you may not be satisfied with anything less than a voyager or minimoog. I think people get confused by the LPs fast knobs...and then think the synth is cheap. The LP is not cheaply constructed at all.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:48 pm

The problem was that it didnt feel solid, which may have been the fact that it was on a stand to be honest, I doubt it would stop me from buying one really, because it sounded absolutely amazing.

I wondered, because the models were different prices if there were any cutbacks on the lower priced ones. I didnt mind the knobs, thought they were snazzy. :)

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:33 pm

I've owned or extensively played four Moogs:

Voyager, Rogue, Little Phatty, and the original Minimoog

Of course, the Voyager is very, very solid. As far as finishing and construction go, it is probably the most amazing instrument I have ever played.

The original Minimoog is also extremely solid. I don't really need to laud it much, it is probably the most revered synth in history, so that says it all.

I thought the Little Phatty was solid, too. Seemed really nice to me, well built, etc. In fact, every piece of the new Moog gear (incl. Moogerfooger pedals) that I've touched has been really well constructed, just really nice, top-notch gear, which it should be for the general price point.

The only Moog that I've played that I can definitely say is really not up to par with the others is the Rogue. It was the discount Moog, and thus was constructed with less attention to detail and just cheaper parts. I wouldn't ever say it was poorly done (it's not that bad at all), it just doesn't reach the standard of the others I've mentioned. And it's just a whole lot less synth, period.

It seems that if you want a cheaper price point on a vintage Moog, people are much more satisfied with the Prodigy and the Source, but I haven't played either, so I can't comment on them.

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:37 pm

The LP SE is def one well-constructed fantastic phatt little beastie, and hooked up to a Fooger CP-251 Control Voltage Processor, well then it becomes a modular well-constructed fantastic phatt little 2 LFO beastie :D I love it! :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:19 pm

sequence wrote:The LP SE is def one well-constructed fantastic phatt little beastie, and hooked up to a Fooger CP-251 Control Voltage Processor, well then it becomes a modular well-constructed fantastic phatt little 2 LFO beastie :D I love it! :D
Can someone tell me some good uses for the CP-251 and the LP? Sample and Hold seems cool...but I just don't understand alot of the other stuff.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:30 pm

I got rid of some gear and decided to upgrade, so Im waiting for an Xbase 999, and I think a nice moog would suit me quite well.

I think Im gonna go for an LP as a do really like the interface and sound, and theyre quite accessible to me at a local dealer.

I thought about a voyager, but Im a drum machine man at heart so I had to get a good drum machine first.

Im gonna look into the foogers and how I could incorporate those with the LP for definate.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:05 pm

JSRockit wrote: Can someone tell me some good uses for the CP-251 and the LP? Sample and Hold seems cool...but I just don't understand alot of the other stuff.
the LP has 3 CV ins. The CP-251 has lag and attenuation for CV's. plus there's the LFO & noise generator (much more useful than the LP's software-based 'noise modulation'), plus CV mixer and 4-way multi.

for example, the 777/Mobius output is too high for accurate tracking to CV control the LP. Use the attenuator on the CP-251 to scale the voltage and - viola! It tracks properly.

With the extra LFO you can animate any of the LP's CV in's (want tremelo AND vibrato at the same time?) while keeping the LPs LFO working on something else.

All in all it gives a lot more flexibility for sound design and enables the LP to take some steps into semi-modular territory.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:08 pm

shaft9000 wrote: for example, the 777/Mobius output is incompatible for accurate tracking to CV control the LP. Use the attenuator on the CP-251 to scale the voltage and - viola! It tracks properly.
Ah, that's the part of the CP-251 I really didn't understand. Thanks.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:29 am

JSRockit wrote:
sequence wrote:The LP SE is def one well-constructed fantastic phatt little beastie, and hooked up to a Fooger CP-251 Control Voltage Processor, well then it becomes a modular well-constructed fantastic phatt little 2 LFO beastie :D I love it! :D
Can someone tell me some good uses for the CP-251 and the LP? Sample and Hold seems cool...but I just don't understand alot of the other stuff.
It is great for all sorts of things. The mixer has a + and - outputs. I often use them for HP and LP cut off frequencies, which gives a cool fading from the middle sort of effect.

The multiple is buffered, which is helpful for larger patches.

It has a lot of uses. I'll try to draw a picture or something, but I don't think it can really be explained. You have to imagine the uses which are applicable to the way you make music.

sequence

Post by sequence » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:19 am

Man, U guys explain it better than me, all I know is that it turns my LP into one nasty phatt noisy little freakazoid, esp. with the expression pedal plugged in somewhere. Moog explains CP-251 in the LPSE manual (one of the best ever written) on p.55-56. :D and what so cool is how other MF's like the MurF and that nice (but $$) analog delay can connect in.

I'd rather have my LP SE, the CP-251, and a couple choice Foogers over a Voyager :D :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:26 am

sequence wrote:Moog explains CP-251 in the LPSE manual (one of the best ever written) on p.55-56. :D and what so cool is how other MF's like the MurF and that nice (but $$) analog delay can connect in.

I'd rather have my LP SE, the CP-251, and a couple choice Foogers over a Voyager :D :D
Yeah, just noticed that... looks like I may have to get it next. Very cool. Yes, the Voyager is ok...but I'm happier with my LP.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:27 am

The CP251 also has a lag processor so you can change the rise and fall of a wave. For example, you could take a square wave from the CP251, put it through the lag and come up with a ramp. If you had another lfo, for example one from the Moogerfooger Ring mod or phaser, you could pass that and an lfo from the CP251 into the mixer and come up with a crazy control voltage to modulate your LP. The CP251 really adds some spice to the LP.

evening

Post by evening » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:55 am

Personally I'd save & spend the extra money on a voyager.
there are lots LPs & VGERS showing up used, so you should be able to get one at a decent price, no matter which one you decide upon.
Things are not as they seem, nor are they otherwise.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:27 am

evening wrote:Personally I'd save & spend the extra money on a voyager.
there are lots LPs & VGERS showing up used, so you should be able to get one at a decent price, no matter which one you decide upon.
I've owned the Voyager, sold it...and then bought an LP. To some, the Voyager is overkill. The Lp gives you alot of the meat of the Voyager anyway and they don't sound that much different really.