DSI Prophet 8

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jplavidfan
Gear: AX60, Ion, VFX, MS2000, Poly 800 MkII, Privia, Juno 60, Motif 6 Loaded, MiniCompact, Kurzweil K2V3, Minimoog D, Mtron, Virtual Synth

DSI Prophet 8

Post by jplavidfan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:06 am

So is it too soon to ask our resident experts how the P8 compares to a PEK or MM Voyager? And what is the selling price to be? Also, I did not see availability, but I may have missed it.

The site has a lot of cool pages on it, but it is limited at this point when compared to his PEK or MEK.

jpl
MS2000 - Nord Lead - Alesis Ion - Juno 60 - DX7 - MG1 - VFX - MTron - Motif 6 w/PLG150AN - Poly800 Mk II - AX60 - Privia - MiniCompact - Yamaha DGX500 - Hiwatt Theremin

Postblank

Re: DSI Prophet 8

Post by Postblank » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:51 am

jplavidfan wrote:So is it too soon to ask our resident experts how the P8 compares to a PEK or MM Voyager? And what is the selling price to be? Also, I did not see availability, but I may have missed it.

The site has a lot of cool pages on it, but it is limited at this point when compared to his PEK or MEK.

jpl
The selling price IS $1999 for the standard Prophet 8. The specialty edition costs a bit more.
Keys: Wurlitzer 200A, Nord Electro 2, Arp Omni 2, Yamaha DX-7 II FD, Casio VL-Tone 1, Roland JX-10

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:07 am

the special edition selling price is $2449, Sweetwater got 'em.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

jplavidfan
Gear: AX60, Ion, VFX, MS2000, Poly 800 MkII, Privia, Juno 60, Motif 6 Loaded, MiniCompact, Kurzweil K2V3, Minimoog D, Mtron, Virtual Synth

Thanks!

Post by jplavidfan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:11 am

That price seems reasonable.

Anyone get their fingers on one yet?

jpl
MS2000 - Nord Lead - Alesis Ion - Juno 60 - DX7 - MG1 - VFX - MTron - Motif 6 w/PLG150AN - Poly800 Mk II - AX60 - Privia - MiniCompact - Yamaha DGX500 - Hiwatt Theremin

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:59 am

They should make a tabletop addition of this one, like the CreamWare Pro-12, the Vrus or the SuperNova.

I never did like the PER, because it doesn't have dedicated controllers like the PEK. If DSI makes a module Prophet 08, they SHOULD make it a tabletop module with gobs of knobs.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Re: DSI Prophet 8

Post by Raiven » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:32 am

jplavidfan wrote:So is it too soon to ask our resident experts how the P8 compares to a PEK or MM Voyager? And what is the selling price to be? Also, I did not see availability, but I may have missed it.

jpl
It's in a whole other league than both. I've had a Voyager RME and a PEK. They are really not comparable in the context of the whole.

Feature wise, the P'08 sits in between them both. Just as flexible as a Voyager with 8X the polyphony or 4X the polyphony of a PEK but you loose some features.

It's really a matter of what you want to add in your setup.

A Bass, Leads, and FX synth (Voyager)

A giggable polysynth ( P'08 )

A different and versatile synth (PEK)
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

jplavidfan

Thanks, Raiven!

Post by jplavidfan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:51 am

I am seriously considering both a P8 and a Minimoog, not voyager.

Although, in the movie done right before he passed, Bob Moog was futzing with a Voyager, and I finally realized that there were some interesting features on the Voyager that he had supervised the development of.

Now I know there are a lot of Model D owners that swear the Voyager is thinner than the D, so I may buy a D first and see. They tend to be 1k less costly too.

Always wanted to own something that Mr. Smith designed as well. P8 seems like the deal.

jpl

Tex

Re: Thanks, Raiven!

Post by Tex » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:10 am

Quote "I am seriously considering both a P8 and a Minimoog, not voyager."

How sad, I'm confused by the drones who claim there to be significant differences between new and old. All of the sudden there's fanatical acclaim for a retro analog that employs smt technology when the drugged hype is about the benefits of decades old used c**p. Actually, Pek Is the better synth and guess what- both Pek and P08 employ smt tech and both sound fanastic. Time to abandon unfounded myths. P08 is great for 8 voices and for those who wouldn't know a great synth even if it slapped them in the face.

-Tex
DSI PEK, Prophet 08(soon),Moog Voyager AE, Multimoog,Moog Liberation,Polymoog 203a,280a,Hammond D-100,E-100, Farfisa CCD w/ Leslie 825.

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:21 am

memo

Post by memo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:11 am

The best solution is to physically try the instruments out and see if you connect with them - one man's "intuitive" and "fat" is another man's "nightmare" and "muddy".

While sound, features, and usability are all important (and subjective), I find that usability is the most important, followed closely by sound, then by features.

If I really connect with an instrument, I can usually get around any limitations or sonic issues. But if I don't connect with the interface, then it doesn't matter if it sounds good or if it has a million features - I won't end up using it.

I chose a Minimoog D over a Voyager primarily because I really connect with it. They're close in layout, sound (although you have to do a bit of tracking programming to get the Voyager's resonance to match the Minimoog, and the model D has more harmonic distortion), and the Voyager is a million times more versatile, but the model D just connected with me.

Others play the D and aren't impressed at all - they don't connect with it - or they don't understand why someone wouldn't want the additional features of the Voyager. No one is wrong per se - connecting with an instrument is totally personal.

I'm borrowing a friends Prophet '08 soon, and I'm going to make a video demonstration once I can. It might not be the same as physically being there, but I think a well-made demonstration video can bring a viewer closer to feeling the interface and workflow than subjective remarks.

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:09 pm

memo wrote:I chose a Minimoog D over a Voyager primarily because I really connect with it. They're close in layout, sound (although you have to do a bit of tracking programming to get the Voyager's resonance to match the Minimoog,
<Thread hijack> Can you elaborate on this? I remember reading somewhere that on a Mini there's less resonance on the bass end compared to the top. Do you do something like keytrack>resonance in minus amounts?

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Right, this thread isn't supposed to be another stinkin' "Model-D-Vs.-Voyager" topic. Let's try and focus on the P08.

I just hope there'll be one in Guitar Center the next time I visit it.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

neandrewthal

Re: Thanks, Raiven!

Post by neandrewthal » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:42 pm

Tex wrote:How sad, I'm confused by the drones who claim there to be significant differences between new and old.
And also how sad how there is a site dedicated to letting people discuss and learn about this decades old used c**p called Vintage Synth Explorer. I say if we could get that offending site taken off the web all this retro hype nonsense would fade in no time at all.
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:29 pm

Check out a new prophet 08 video here >

DS 8)
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:57 am

MrFrodo wrote:Right, this thread isn't supposed to be another stinkin' "Model-D-Vs.-Voyager" topic. Let's try and focus on the P08.

I just hope there'll be one in Guitar Center the next time I visit it.
I wasn't trying to turn into a model-D vs Voyager thread. Just asking a brief question that doesn't call for a new thread.