DSI Prophet 8

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:08 am

Do you mean the same design elements of the Pro One, Prophet 5, Prophet 10, Prophet 600, Prophet T8...?

WD
Last edited by WDW on Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

crow

Post by crow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:13 am

Show them the Prophet VS! And the prophet 2000.
Nonsense.
If that dint work, show them the Prophet Ezekiel.
:shock:
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:13 am

Gosh, looking at these photos, I'd have to say that the general shape is most akin to the Prophet 600, and the panel the most like the Pro One.

WD

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:15 am

crow wrote:Show them the Prophet VS! And the prophet 2000.
Nonsense.
If that dint work, show them the Prophet Ezekiel.
:shock:
Ah, that is clearly it!

WD

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:24 am

Oh, and there are similarities here too...

WD

crow

Post by crow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:28 am

Yip! It says Smith on them. Dave Smith. lets call Mully and Sculder. :!: :arrow:
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:34 am

Mystery solved! This part of the discussion is clearly closed. :D

WD

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:04 am

i really dont have a problem with the name. its DS legacy, and his naming scheme. as pointed out , there were models like 3000, VS etc...
which werent even entirely analog.. so i woudlnt mind even if polyevolver was called Prophet E or something,,

also i really like DS referenced the cosmetic design/layout of P600 and P1, and then added new touches to it - it looks gorgeous. why is that a bad thing? wish big guys like roland payed as much attention to looks as boutiques like DSI, SE or FR do..

yes it doesnt sound like prophet5, but it sure doesnt need to, in order to become a useful musical board on its own merit. fwiw, i think this post puts it very nicely:
gallant steve wrote:thing is, DS has always said it wasn't supposed to be just a p5 imitation to start with, and wanted to come out with something new. I reckon it's a synth for people who want a bit of that prophet sound and a bit of a something more up-to-date/electronica-ish mixed in, plus something really carryable. People looking for the 100 % vintage sound aren't going to go for it, but a whole set of other people prob'ly will.
cant comment on build quality as i havent touched it yet. i do hope its good enough to sustain yrs of use. truth be told, prophet5 panel is almost undestructible under normal use, unless you throw it down the stairs...

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:33 am

The nostalgic side of me wishes that Dave Smith had continued the Prophet family name with the Evolvers.

But, regardless whatever names his instruments have been given, they all sound beautifully unique. Dave is a master synth designer.

WD

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:03 am

I've been loving the Prophet'08 though it took a while to find its "soul" because for the longest time it kept reminding me of other synths and not of itself.

I've used it in my last two songs as a great bass on Dead Leaves and as a cool atmospheric pad on Crows for Marie.

The more I use it, the more I'm finding more uses for it. :D

FWIW, its seeing a lot more action than the PEK I used to have, not sure why...hmmmm.
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:25 pm

....versatility? ~

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:43 pm

I finally got to play one ('I played in the store and...') and I can see why people like it, it seemed to do exactly what it says on the box, and seems a lot more immediate than the evolver. Also, I don't know what they did to the filter, but the osc mod on the 4 pole is the business. The 2 pole still seems quite utilitarian, in that it's useful but not chock-full of character (perhaps it's there but not in an obvious way).
When I first touched it, there was a sudden desire born in me to buy an analogue delay and start a krautrock band...
virb.com/ookpikk

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:06 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:When I first touched it, there was a sudden desire born in me to buy an analogue delay and start a krautrock band...
Such a pity he didn't leave the BBD delay in it.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:10 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
GeneralBigbag wrote:When I first touched it, there was a sudden desire born in me to buy an analogue delay and start a krautrock band...
Such a pity he didn't leave the BBD delay in it.
agreed. even a crappy fx chip would have been better than nothing.
exactly how am i supposed to make 'spacey out-there sounds' on a synth w/out delay or reverb??? rely on outboard constantly, i guess :x

dsi tried to add a BBD but dave said it sounded 'bad'.
hmmm.....i wonder if he meant that the chips that could sound 'good' would drive the price up too much. i like some 'hash" in my delay - dirty it up!
i think it would have been worth an extra $250 or so, after all how many synths have built-in analog delay?
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:39 am

shaft9000 wrote: agreed. even a crappy fx chip would have been better than nothing.
Yes, then we'd all be complaining that either that 'it's not analogue' or 'it's noisy'. Remember BBD chips are pretty rare these days.
shaft9000 wrote: i think it would have been worth an extra $250 or so, after all how many synths have built-in analog delay?
There are guitar pedal analogue delays out there to give you whatever flavour you want. I'd much rather pay $250 less and choose my own FX.