DSI Prophet 8

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Re: DSI Prophet 8

Post by mao » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:32 pm

I just wondering a thing about Tetra and P08... I mean... P08 has 8 voice no subosc... Tetra has 4 voice + sub osc... so that's like having 8 voice... so Tetra is only a small box with a P08 and a damned trick (4 voices converted to subosc) to avoid marketing overlapping of the two products. A friend of mine have boths... he can obtain the SAME sounds with P08 and Tetra. If it use the subosc with the tetra he simply layer two sound in the P08 and here you have the 4 voice sound of the Tetra.

So what makes a Tetra half of a P08 is it's firmware... not so sure... but... I can bet something on it...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:33 pm

well at least technically there is a difference - layering the P08 gives you 4 voices with 4 independent oscs per voice. whereas the suboscs on the tetra (and every other synth with suboscs as well) are just created by dividing-down (think organs) the frequency of the oscs (that's why it's always squares... it would need some waveshaping a la DCOs to get saws on suboscs). so with the P08, you could make "suboscs" that are not phase and freq locked with the "standard" oscs, whereas on the tetra this isnt possible.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:39 pm

ok... well said... but I can assure you that there is no difference at all between the two. He let me check side by side by muting the mixer tetra/p08 with several sounds (with subosc on the tetra and layered on the P08 for a 4 voice total) . He is a really good synth programmer and he makes really complex sound... well most of the best sounds I ever heard.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:57 pm

yeah, you CAN make it sound the same; but you have more possibilities with the P08...

it's a funny idea, though not too useful if you ask me... you could get more interesting sound if you did NOT make it sound the same, i think... like two "suboscs" that phase against each other...

I always wondered why there are no suboscs on the P08 though

gd

Post by gd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:42 pm

I have been thinking of adding an external 2 pole filter as I find the one on this bd a bit anemic for my use anyway. Any suggestions the one that I have looked at that may work is http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Filters/filters.html
any other suggestions are welcome.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...