Analog chips used in DSI Evolver/Prophet 08

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Analog chips used in DSI Evolver/Prophet 08

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:11 am

Im in the process of getting more information on this....but Ive been told that the chips used are very simular to the Curtis 3396 > http://www.synthtech.com/cem/c3396pdf.pdf

These chips were originally designed in 1984 and...perhaps these were the last to be designed by Doug Curtis (?). As I say...im currently in the process of trying to get DSI to put up a page on their site detailing some nity gritty info on the chips used etc etc. Im a nerd.... :lol:

Hopefully one of you might find this interesting and also email DSI to provide such information....

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:21 am

I don't know why people on the AH list and elsewhere are chasing this. Here is what DB said on 8/17/06 in regards to the CEM3396 question on the MP forums:

"They are, in fact, based on the chips used in the Marion synth, but they have been modified to meet Dave's specifications, so you could pretty much say that they're actually new Curtis chips."

So, considering that the products that use these ICs are still in production, it's unlikely you're going to get detailed information on these ICs since they're fundamentally proprietary.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:38 am

sizzlemeister wrote: they're fundamentally proprietary.
which generally means "trade secrets". don't know how tight dsi are about that, though.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:28 am

Ok, im not sure I know what that means - no one can go into the details right now?

All I can gather is that the analog side of evolver/Prophet 08 is much the same as the Andromeda.....one chip which has ocilator, vca and filter (x8)

agreed?

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:37 am

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:Ok, im not sure I know what that means - no one can go into the details right now?

All I can gather is that the analog side of evolver/Prophet 08 is much the same as the Andromeda.....one chip which has ocilator, vca and filter (x8)

agreed?

DS
I honestly don't know whether the details can be attained or not. Just given the circumstances it seems likely that it's really not information DS wants to release publickly. It's a very common practice to keep design details under your shirt.

The basic architecture of a mass-production (obviously that is relative) analog synth is common, too. So, yes I would agree that the P'08 and the A6 share BASIC architectural details. But once you start to dissect the designs the similarities rapidly disappear.

REwire

Post by REwire » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:24 am

I've got extra CEM3396 chips and what's inside the Evolver is nothing the size or shape of them. I don't know what that means but it seems to me they are adapted, redesigned and in new production so who knows what remains of the actual 3396 design. I do hear a little Matrix 1000 when I play the analog side of the Evolver but also the Matrix 12.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:26 pm

You see guys......I actually think the Prophet 08 sounds more oberheim than vintage prophet.

The chips used probably have something to do with it :)

Thx

DS

steveman

Post by steveman » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:29 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote: All I can gather is that the analog side of evolver/Prophet 08 is much the same as the Andromeda.....one chip which has ocilator, vca and filter (x8)
The Andromeda has seperate oscillator & filter chips. I'd expect the VCA to be seperate too.

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:03 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:You see guys......I actually think the Prophet 08 sounds more oberheim than vintage prophet.

The chips used probably have something to do with it :)

Thx

DS
last time i cracked my obxa i could have sworn that the CEM 3320,3330,3340 chips were all over that b***h. if im not mistaken, same things in a prophet. must be more to it than the nature of a few IC's....