Ensoniq ESQ-1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:51 am

The Cancer Years wrote:
PolarAC wrote:
Absence wrote: That video is wicked!

Tell me about it.

The only bad thing is, I still can't get my ESQ to rock like that. I guess I need the step-by-step version

Same. :(

I tried to no avail.
I couldn't get going exactly like the videos, but thats fine. It seems that the ability to do a whole song like that is a bit of a one time trick. The "beats" and "arpeggios" are incredibly inflexible.

However, though couldn't get it quite right, it did open a great realm of possiblities to me which I think is the real purpose. I re-re-re fell in love with this synth because of that vid.
so what do I put down here now?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:07 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:Interestingly enough, I now believe that my sq 80 caused me to have bad case of Negative gas in which I sold off most of my gear, Including my once loved ms2000r. Frankly for a hobbiest like myself, its all I really need, aside from perhaps a sampler and some effect units.
yeah, I've said the same thing many times (cough ignore my sig) of all the things I have now, I'd happily just keep that. ... and maybe the CS15 :wink:

it really is such a versatile machine... be it for pads. strings, or just disgusting bass... the AM really helps with that aspect. I rarely find myself unable to make the sound I want unless it's multimode filters or a wacked out audio rate mod effect, or PWM. but even the latter can kind of be faked with sync.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:05 am

ESQ1 has a wonderful feature that is missing from most modern synths. When you switch patches, the synth engine doesn't stop. You can even play a pad with one hand and switch to other sounds and play all sounds at the same time. Only polyphony is the limit.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Something else worth noting is the 8-note polyphony... I use to think that was the standard-even if it is tiny in today's synth world-having a DW8000, and then the SQ80, but then playing on other less polyphonic synths recently e.g. the JX8p (terribly misleading name! and a "pad" machine if there ever was one), and the, um, PEK, you realize 8 voices is a necessary luxury if you ever want to start playing big chords with long releases...
Do you even post on vse bro?

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:24 pm

I saw an SQ-80 on the local Craigslist for $125 with memory cartridge and I've been trying furiously to pull the money together and won't be able to. Sigh. Anyone want me to midwife it for you?
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:31 pm

damn redchapter....i wish

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:I saw an SQ-80 on the local Craigslist for $125 with memory cartridge and I've been trying furiously to pull the money together and won't be able to. Sigh. Anyone want me to midwife it for you?
Even as a hater I'm tempted. Why not buy it and flip it? You'll double your money at least.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:28 pm

I can't buy it unless someone buys my Oxygen 8 so I can have at least half of it before I hit our savings account. So...someone have pity on me! It's in the for sale section! I did email the guy this morning and told him I probably wouldn't have the money for it until the first of the month. I'd email him then to see if he still had it. If he does then I'll get it.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:14 am

By the way I figured out that turning off envelope reset seems to help prevent the "clicking" I previously mentioned from occuring.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:10 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:I saw an SQ-80 on the local Craigslist for $125 with memory cartridge and I've been trying furiously to pull the money together and won't be able to. Sigh. Anyone want me to midwife it for you?
I'm considering it. PM sent.

nightcrier
Gear: Jupiter 50; Triton Extreme; KARMA; M3R; Hammond XK1: D50; D70; UltraNova: Moog Voyager; Akai S2800s;TG33, TX7: MUSE Receptor; Roland XV5050
Band: Sweet Crystal

ESQ Carts

Post by nightcrier » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:36 pm

I have a number of preloaded ROM and writeable RAM carts for this ESQ puppy if anyone has some spare cash to trade for them.
Hit me offlist at nightcrier@mac.com and I'll look over the stock tonight when I'm home.
Q
Reaching The World, One Song At A Time ™

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:41 pm

So I have a question about the outputs.

When hooked up mono the thing is loud as s**t, the s/n is appalling, I want to stick some pedals in front of it but I can't run the two outputs into one pedal. So I have been using this splitter into a 1/8" into a 1/4" if that makes sense. so I have a splitter out of the esq1 into a pedal but the splitters end is 1/8" so I have to stick a little piece on the end to raise it to 1/4" basically the whole thing looks like a mess, out of the pedals I do the same thing split it back into the board.

is there I a way I can get around this? I don't want to use aux sends as they are pedals and I do't want to have to keep buying batterys, and don't really want to keep my mixer on the floor.

any ideas?
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com