Ensoniq ESQ-1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Ensoniq ESQ-1

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:01 pm

I finally took the plunge and got me one of these. After spending most of this afternoon fiddling about, I have to say I love it.

The parameter editing is probably the best of any digital type synth I've used, so easy & intuitive and the sounds you can get out of it are very cool indeed. It's had a recent battery replacement too, so a good few years of use before I need to open it up.

If anyone has been considering getting one I can totally recommend it (especially at the pretty low prices they are going for).
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:41 pm

Ive had one of these for forever and I am recently FINALLY digging into it.

for some reason I can't wrap my head around editing it.

I can get some stuff, but memo..I think that;'s his name blows anything iver done out of the water.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Grandmother, DX7 (x2), QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, EX-8000, S2400, Rhodes Stage MK1

Post by Alex E » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:36 am

The Cancer Years wrote: I can get some stuff, but memo..I think that;'s his name blows anything iver done out of the water.
He's blown what anything anyone has ever done out of the water. :)
soundcloud.com/vectron

PPG_HOSHII!

Post by PPG_HOSHII! » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:24 am

congrads on the ESQ-1,
I really like their sound, those bell sounds are just amazing!

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:09 am

Does anyone have some patches I can try out on mine to get a feel for what it can do? I bought it cos it was the same price as a 61 note controller but felt nicer-but I was put off by the preset sounds....

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:47 am

congrats for the nice find, it's a unique synth that looks very cool.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:10 pm

SWAN wrote:Does anyone have some patches I can try out on mine to get a feel for what it can do? I bought it cos it was the same price as a 61 note controller but felt nicer-but I was put off by the preset sounds....
You can find literally thousands of ESQ-1/SQ-80 patches on the net. I'll warn you though that they are mostly dated to a time period when people thought it was cool to imitate acoustic instruments on a synthesizer. For sounds more applicable to right now I would suggest programming it yourself.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:46 am

otto wrote:
SWAN wrote:Does anyone have some patches I can try out on mine to get a feel for what it can do? I bought it cos it was the same price as a 61 note controller but felt nicer-but I was put off by the preset sounds....
You can find literally thousands of ESQ-1/SQ-80 patches on the net. I'll warn you though that they are mostly dated to a time period when people thought it was cool to imitate acoustic instruments on a synthesizer. For sounds more applicable to right now I would suggest programming it yourself.
Yeah Im just being lazy really. Although when I did have a play with it I want over excited......I love my Matrix 1000 as my polyphonic synth.....

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:46 am

otto wrote:
Thanks. Yeah Im just being lazy really. Although when I did have a play with it I wasnt over excited......I love my Matrix 1000 as my polyphonic synth....god this site is getting unsuable......I can hardly post this message......

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:08 pm

congrats
so what do I put down here now?

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:34 pm

Its a very flexible board and the analog filters are nice and warm!

I am amazed at what some people have been able to do:

http://insidesynthesis.blogspot.com/200 ... es_22.html
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

gs

Post by gs » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:07 pm

otto wrote:
A good advice, and I would recommend a MIDI knob/slider box to do the programming (even if the digital access is one of the better ones, you still have to dig a bit). Peavey PC1600x, Behringer BCR2000, Kentron Spin Doctor/Control Freak, etc. As long as the box transimits sysex.

I have heard from some ppl that the params on ESQ1 don't update in realtime via MIDI (you might have to retrigger a note to hear the difference), although I can't confirm that. I do remember using the Peavey MIDI box to control a DW8000 and that updated in realtime and was a lot of fun!
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:21 pm

gs wrote:
otto wrote:
A good advice, and I would recommend a MIDI knob/slider box to do the programming (even if the digital access is one of the better ones, you still have to dig a bit). Peavey PC1600x, Behringer BCR2000, Kentron Spin Doctor/Control Freak, etc. As long as the box transimits sysex.
wooow does that work?
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

Absence
No Longer Registered

Post by Absence » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:17 am

carbon111 wrote:Its a very flexible board and the analog filters are nice and warm!

I am amazed at what some people have been able to do:

http://insidesynthesis.blogspot.com/200 ... es_22.html
That video is wicked!

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:55 am

gs wrote:I have heard from some ppl that the params on ESQ1 don't update in realtime via MIDI (you might have to retrigger a note to hear the difference), although I can't confirm that.
I think this is true. I remember changing parameters via software and you had to retrigger.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again