synths/keyboards for recreating Pink Floyd

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iheartmycubicle

synths/keyboards for recreating Pink Floyd

Post by iheartmycubicle » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:31 pm

I am a member of a Pink Floyd tribute band (http://www.severalspecies.com) looking for equipment advise.
I'm in the process of replacing my existing keyboards (for some reasons I don't need to go into) and I'm looking for help on what to purchase.

I was using JP-8000 for synth lead and some string patches, Alesis QS7 for organ, some synth sounds (Shine On...), and some chromatic sounds, and a Quadsrasynth for organ (leslie) and mainly strings.
I have a Yamaha MO8 which I will continue to use.

I am one of two keyboard players, so I don't need to recreate every sound, just mainly lead synth, organ, some sound effects, and strings.

Should I go with brand new stuff, re-purchase some of what I had, or, go to some retro keyboards?

Thanks in advance.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:55 pm

There's a nice 'Welcome to the machine' patch on the AN1X and it can also do some good organ sounds too with its internal leslie FX.
I suppose you could possibly do an 'On the Run' type sequence with its internal sequencer but I'd have to find out what notes are used.
The AN1X also has a nice 'quality' feeling keyboard with different velocity curves and after touch.

iheartmycubicle

Post by iheartmycubicle » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks for the tip on the AN1X. Any thoughts about a stand alone organ?(VK8 for axample)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:05 pm

what you need depends largely on two main factors:

1. How authentic do you want to be ? To do DSOTM and WYWH -era sounds accurately, you need at least a Moog (a model D Mini to be exact) of some kind, and of course there's the VCS3 - both expensive but hard to imitate w/ much accuracy. You could 'get by' using a # of substitutes, but then you'd just be 'getting by' and not be authentic.
Your dissatisfaction w/ the JP8000 suggests you may be headed down this road already. I get close to DSOTM/WYWH synth sounds using a Moog LP plus a 777 for sequences, and it's real nice. Not 100%, but it sounds much more authentic than any VA could ever hope to.
Add an echoplex, and an organ (not sure which ones Mr Wright used) w/ a leslie and you should have it about covered.

2. What era are you covering? AMLOR (mid-80's) uses iirc Roland JX-10 & Kurzweil K2000 boards primarily, which do not do well with stuff like "Welcome to the Machine", most of Animals, "Any Colour You Like" & "On the Run", because those used Moog, VCS3 and old organs to get those sounds.
Whereas certain tracks on The Wall or The Final Cut can be impossible to cover accurately without using an orchestra; or at least heavy re-arrangement and liberal ROMpler 'faking'.

you bring to light what is so appealing w/ Pink Floyd : easy to play; darn-near impossible to imitate!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

iheartmycubicle

Post by iheartmycubicle » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:34 pm

We are covering everthing from Piper at the Gates to Final Cut, so I obviously have a lot of different sounds to cover.

Looks like I should start getting up to speed on vintage analog synths!

I can cover most of the Wall and more recent stuff with newer boards it seems.

If you know of a book or instructional DVD out there covering analog synth that would be helpful.

Thanks for all your advise. You seem to know your stuff. Too bad you're across the Atlantic from me.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:37 pm

I'm sure there are books but you might want to check out the Top 20 Greatest Synths video series over sonicstate.com. It will be a whole lot more entertaining than any book and fairly educational if you are just getting into vintage synths.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:08 pm

I'd switch to a laptop and a controller rather than lug around a bunch of different synths.

You can get emulations of model Ds, sample sets for all sorts of things, lots of effects to copy what pink floyd did after it left the machine, etc.

Software may not be the ideal workflow for some people, but you can't beat it for the amount of sounds you get for your money, the sheer power, or the ability to emulate for a fraction of the cost the real thing would set you back.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:46 am

shaft9000 wrote: ....Add an echoplex, and an organ (not sure which ones Mr Wright used) w/ a leslie and you should have it about covered.
As far as electronic organs are concerned, Rick Wright used a whole lot of different models; Farfisa Compact Duo (first the original '65 model then the more common '66 model), Hammond M-102, Hammond RT-3, Hammond C-3, Hammond B3....

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:00 am

MitchK1989 wrote:I'd switch to a laptop and a controller rather than lug around a bunch of different synths.

You can get emulations of model Ds, sample sets for all sorts of things, lots of effects to copy what pink floyd did after it left the machine, etc.

Software may not be the ideal workflow for some people, but you can't beat it for the amount of sounds you get for your money, the sheer power, or the ability to emulate for a fraction of the cost the real thing would set you back.
laptop in a Floyd cover band? tsk tsk...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:22 am

Go here:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=31178

If you look at the other videos under my name at You Tube you'll also see us do "Have a Cigar" and "Cymbaline".

If you're interested I'll tell you more about my setup.

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:32 pm

yep the an1x has exact patches for the intro of shine on and on the run (including the little hi hat) as for the notes used in on the run, i think its...

D C D E G A G A, its definately them notes but im not sure if the key is right :)

my band performed the whole of *the wall* live once and i did it with just an an1x and a average technics kn rompler so im guessing thats a good recomendation :) x

Bob-omb

Post by Bob-omb » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:56 pm

Recently I joined a PF tribute band to play the whole of Animals live on a party in Odense. I used my Moog LP, Solina String Ensemble (sadly not mine) and a Nord Electro and some effects from Electro Harmonix. It went really well and I was pleased to get close to the sounds Rick used used on the real thing. Not the cheapest way but still a good way. :)

iheartmycubicle

Post by iheartmycubicle » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:48 am

Thanks for all the advice guys!
You can check out what I've been able to do with my current set up here:

http://www.severalspecies.com/audio.html

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:13 am

You can do it all close enough for the average punter seeing you live with pretty much any modern rompler. If I were you I'd be looking at a Fusion so I'd only have to lug one board, but then again if I were you I wouldn't be in a Pink Floyd cover band. :D

I guess it really depends on how much you want to set up that whole craploads-of-keys-on-stage kind of vibe and how much you just want to have enough sounds to play everything and not have to carry more than that. I don't have any roadies so I know what I prefer.

Track2

Post by Track2 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:02 pm

Unless you particularly wanted to be authentic and get vintage gear, you could do worse than an Ion- covers the 1970's prog bases really well and is only £400
Triton ProX with MOSS, Z1, Q+ Phoenix, XTk, microQ, Supernova II, KS Rack, MS2000R, A6 Andromeda, Ion, Proteus 2500