Modular Moog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
badhatharry

Modular Moog

Post by badhatharry » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:41 am

Hi. First time listener and caller. I joined this forum because I discovered my work had a modular moog sitting uncovered in storage. I talked my boss into letting me get that thing up and running. Today my co-worker (Jacob) and I (Drew) pulled the thing out of storage, ran an air compressor through it, set it up in an empty office, and got it up and running with no maintenance. The pots and switches are all pretty dirty, and will need to be hit with some contact cleaner, but I was able to get the two keyboards and ribbon controller running. I've never used anything like this before (I'm more of a crappy guitar player), but am looking forward to learning how to use this thing.

No pics yet, when we were working on this, I only had my camera phone with me, and those pics didn't turn out very well. Tomorrow I will take my camera in with me and throw some pictures up.

Here is a list of the moog's components:
2 Keyboard controllers
1 Ribbon controller
1 950 B Scale Programmer (does this tune the keyboards? I know, not really "tune," but for all intents and purposes?)
3 901 ABB Oscillator banks
3 901 VCO
2 904 4 channel mixers
2 960 sequencers
2 962 Sequential switches (no idea what these do)
2 panels of something called "Multiples" with two banks of 4 1/4" jacks. Also have no idea what this does.
2 961 interfaces (no idea about these, either)
1 914 Fixed Filter Bank
1 905 Reverb Unit
1 904 B Voltage Controlled High Pass Filter
1 904 C Filter Coupler (don't know about this one, either)
1 904 A Voltage Controlled Low Pass Filter
3 902 VCA
3 911 Envelope Generators
1 911 A Dual Trigger Delay
1 912 Envelope Follower

Trying to get the sequencer up and running, but when I assign a tone to a track, all it does is pop when the sequencer gets to that track. It's a pretty loud pop. Anyone know what might cause that? Is it just dirty?

Sorry for the long post, but a lot on information to get through. Will update with shorter posts as I figure out how to use this thing.

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:16 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Clavier

Post by Clavier » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:19 am

Ahem, let me correct that. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:48 am

:o :shock: :o :shock: :shock: :o :shock: :!:

Oh yeah, well my work has a mop unused in storage..............and a giant squeegee!
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:57 am

Is this a joke!!!!!????????

(here it is, guys)

I'll give you $300 for it. I'll even pay shipping. Just drop me a PM.
so what do I put down here now?

sheepmusic

Post by sheepmusic » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:08 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
h**l, where abouts do you work? and if its near me, can i work for you? 8)
you'd better ask your boss if you can keep it before they realise what it is...
its great what life can throw at you sometimes, enjoy! 8)
Roland FP-5 - Korg Poly-800 (reverse keys) - Korg Mono/Poly, M-Audio Ozone
Zoom RFX-1000

badhatharry

Post by badhatharry » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:16 am

It's absolutely not a joke. It was purchased new, and if I'm reading the codes on the components right, it was made in October of '69. I'll take better pictures tomorrow, and once I figure out how to post pics on here, I'll post them.

My work has a bunch of old cool stuff in storage. They have old an old theater building that is full of old eight track machines and various amps and a mellotron.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

This is like giving a 10 million rolls royce to a 16 year old that has never driven a car in his life..you know, this complete system of yours is so ridiculously rare and sought after, that you might get thousands of dollars for it if you sold it. I can even imagine 4 figure numbers.

How to learn how to use it? Well, read some articles about "Subtractive synthesis", try track down a PDF version of the Moog modular manual, if you can't, a company sells new prints of the old modular manuals (can't recall the name). Someone else probably knows.

There is tons of info about synth modules and how to use them if you search on the name in google.

There are also several books that deal with synthesizer programming (both modular and regular), like this one

Great book for newbies and oldies alike. Goes through every module common on any synth in detail and easily read language. I recommend it, I bought it with my first subtractive synthesizer (the most common analog format with oscillators, filters, amplifier, lfos, envelopes etc).
and learned everything I needed to operate it comfortably.

Instead of going berserk with smilies, try to help the guy out :)

2 Keyboard controllers
1 Ribbon controller
1 950 B Scale Programmer (does this tune the keyboards? I know, not really "tune," but for all intents and purposes?) - this is to create scales of notes in a sequence depending on which notes you hold down I think

3 901 ABB Oscillator banks
3 901 VCO - Voltage controlled oscillator, the main sound generators in the synth. Creates various waveforms to make sounds with.

2 904 4 channel mixers
2 960 sequencers
2 962 Sequential switches (no idea what these do) - They are to use with the sequencer to jump between the 3 rows amongst other things.

2 panels of something called "Multiples" with two banks of 4 1/4" jacks. Multiples are passive modules you use to share a signal from one module with several modules. The inputs are hardwired together.
Like if you want to use the same LFO signal on several modules at once you need to patch them via the multiples. Essential modular modules

2 961 interfaces (no idea about these, either)
1 914 Fixed Filter Bank -sort of like an equalizer, lets frequencies through at fixed frequencies.

1 905 Reverb Unit
1 904 B Voltage Controlled High Pass Filter
1 904 C Filter Coupler (don't know about this one, either) -is used to combine the HP and LP filters into a Bandpass filter (different sounds)

1 904 A Voltage Controlled Low Pass Filter
3 902 VCA
3 911 Envelope Generators
1 911 A Dual Trigger Delay
1 912 Envelope Follower -used to convert external signals (like a guitar) into voltage that the synth's modules can track. So you can have the synth play a C when you play a C on the guitar.
Last edited by Bitexion on Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

badhatharry

Post by badhatharry » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:33 am

This is like giving a 10 million rolls royce to a 16 year old that has never driven a car in his life
Not quite like that. I'm not some j**ka** who's going to drag race my friends with this thing. I fully understand the value of this thing. Thanks for the book recommendation.

I work for the Buck Owens Crystal Palace in Bakersfield, Ca. They know exactly what they have with this thing. It took a while to get my boss to let me mess with it. They tell me that this was the second one shipped. The first one was sent to Wendy Carlos.

All right, got the rest of your post, Bitexion. Thank you very much for that. Not following you on the sequential switches. I'll just have to read up on that. And the multiples are splitters? That's cool. I was wondering if it had something like that. And I can have this thing track what I'm doing on another instrument? Not sure how it can do that, but that's pretty damn cool.
Last edited by badhatharry on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:24 am

Ah, I didn't mean it as an insult. Just saying that a complete moog system is like every experienced synthesists wettest dream come true. So be careful with it :)

If you need the rundown on the more basic modules I could help you, but you will find more info (and faster) by just searching in google on the module's name. There are heaps of Wikipedia articles on synth modules, with drawings and all.

Regarding the sequencer, it is a chapter the size of a small book on its own in the manual (I have it, think I bought it from Modusonics, google it, I'm at work now).
But basically you have to tell it what to control with the stepped voltages. Like plug from Out A to an oscillators cv input and the pitch will be "played" by the sequencer. The sequencer frequency tells it how fast it will switch to next step. The last step of any patch is the VCA, you always have to end at the VCA's input, and send the output to your speakers/mixer.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:36 pm

Certainly not the second ever shipped, some 70 or more were shipped before 1969 alone.

A nice "find" non the less.
You always want just one more Synth!

Clavier

Post by Clavier » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:06 pm

badhatharry wrote: I work for the Buck Owens Crystal Palace in Bakersfield, Ca.
Well that explains a lot. But still I am surprised that the Crystal Palace would have a modular. :o

Hey buddy, it just so happens that I live in the next town. I would love to come over and help you guys figure that thing out. Is that something we could arrange?

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:13 pm

i need to bring something up here, on the technical side.

anything electronic that's 40+ years old should have the power supply recapped. synths are very vunerable, as all of the components are voltage controlled. its not like a tube amp where you can get away with letting it go, for the most part, with little risk.

if a faulty cap in your psu goes, it will inevitably take out part/parts that are "downstream", ie components. i have worked on circuit boards that have been charred. its really not fun.

if i found a 40 yr old moog, i would NEVER plug it into an outlet before i replaced all the electrolytic caps in the psu. but i have also seen what happens to a synth when you disregard these things.

if you dont want smoke to come out of it, and cause hundreds/thousands of dollars of damage to an amazingly rare instrument, i highly suggest you do this.

to be clear, you could turn this thing on for the next 10 yrs and nothing bad will happen. you could turn it on today and fry some components. it depends on how much of a gambling man you are.

it can be done on your own. do some googling.

badhatharry

Post by badhatharry » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:24 pm

Ah, I didn't mean it as an insult.
No worries. I understand. It is a bit like someone coming on to an automotive forum and saying "I got this rolls and I can go forward and backwards, but how do I change the oil?" I just don't want you guys to think I'm some dipshit kid who's going to paint racing stripes on this thing. I have a good understanding of VCO and LFO and filter banks and envelope generators. I got a degree in sound design (actually theater, but I was in the sound design department), so with a little tutorial I could find my way around it. I'm just looking for some answers on this thing because I don't have the manual, and you've been very helpful. Thank you.
Hey buddy, it just so happens that I live in the next town. I would love to come over and help you guys figure that thing out. Is that something we could arrange?
/yeah, quite possibly. I don't want to sound like I'm blowing you off, but my boss is really protective of this thing, and I have to ask him first. I'll PM you after I talk to him. By the way, which town?

The modular doesn't really belong to the Crystal Palace. It belongs to Buck Owens Productions, which owns the radio stations, the Camera Ads and Home Preview publications, and all of Buck's old instruments. He bought the moog in '69, I'm guessing, and they put it on a few recordings, I think (I'll have to check on that), but a couple of people in Bakersfield used it to make a "Switched On Buck" album that I was given a copy of yesterday. There are also a few Beatles songs on it as well. I've never heard "Switched On Bach," but this one is quite campy and ridiculous. It sounds like the Main Street Electrical Parade. I find myself appriciating the production of it more than the actual content.

Pics of it today, I promise.
anything electronic that's 40+ years old should have the power supply recapped.
I disconnected everything from the power supply and let that run for an hour before I metered it, and everything was stable. I metered the voltages coming out of the PS, and it was all 12, 18, 24v so I hooked it back up. I'm planning on metering the voltages every time I turn it on. If stuff starts to drift, I'll recap it. I heard from a friend who's the smartest person I have ever met that that thing won't blow until around 30v. But still, 30 (ish) years of sitting uncovered and it fires right up and works? This thing was built like a tank.
Last edited by badhatharry on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clavier

Post by Clavier » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:30 pm

I live in Tehachapi.
Last edited by Clavier on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.