How different IS the sound of the Nord 2X compared to the 3?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

How different IS the sound of the Nord 2X compared to the 3?

Post by maindeglorie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:25 am

Does anybody own both or have played both? I own a NL3 and know it inside and out. Recently I have seen a plethora of bands live and have not seen a single 3, but rather NL 2X's. Now a live scenario is no way to judge a synth, but the 2X sounds a bit punchier to me, and most importlanly... less bright. The brightness of the NL3 is insane. It's a terrible high end, and actually the only synth on my board that I have to constantly have the high end shelved down quite a bit. Is the 2X a better tone? With that said, the 3 has the best interface ever.
Last edited by maindeglorie on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

softroom

Post by softroom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:48 am

The 3 has a good interface but I find it rather hard to use in the dark - although you can see the LEDs, it ain't easy to know what they relate to, especially those associated with switches. In bright light it's just impossible to know what anything is set to but then I discovered this about my electribes too.
I personally I didn't like its basic tonality too much for typical analogue imitations but it excels at bright, harmonically rich digital stuff, icy sync and FM and so on. The 2/2X seem better suited to the role most people have for "virtual analogue".

Dunno if that helps?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:07 pm

I own a 2x, and played a 3 extensively before making my decision.

From what I can recall, the 3 had a much more "VA" sound to it, comparable (But not exactly like) the difference between a microkorg and micron, the 2x is warmer sounding. What I did like about the 3 though was the interface, and FM synthesis. The 3 is by far the best interfaced synth Ive used outside of the DSI synths. I wouldn't say sounding more analog or more digital is a downside to either one, its just different, and different tastes for different people. The built in effects are also a huge plus. I ended up buying the 2x however because money was a bit tight at the time haha.

Also the reason behind why you havent seen much of the 3 is due to the fact that the 2x costs less, and clavia produced a lot more 2x's than 3's, and has discontinued the 3, but not the 2x.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:30 pm

The NL3 is more "brittle" or "sharp" sounding to my ears.

I prefer the smoother sound of the 2X...the lack of aftertouch was frustrating which is why I don't still have a 2X today.

The Nord Wave is worth looking at when it comes out but not at the prices they're talking about :roll:
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:37 pm

The nord 3 seems more up my alley.. seems more metalic and has edge ...

hope it becomes a black sheep and gets cheap.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:41 pm

carbon111 wrote:The Nord Wave is worth looking at when it comes out but not at the prices they're talking about :roll:
Holla, I hear ya.

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:23 pm

Ive owned both. They're both bright sounding in my opinion.

The NL2 has better sounding oscilators but a rather JP8000 style crappy filter. Its an early digital filter....there has been so much progress since then. The NL3 has less raw oscilators (a little less lively sounding) but they are more....more....(damn it im struggling to find the word)...more versatile. The NL3's filter is more musical as well.

They both compliment each other quite nicely.

id be interested to know what the VA section of the Wave uses - my bet will be the 2's oscilators through N3 filters....

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

maindeglorie

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:19 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:id be interested to know what the VA section of the Wave uses - my bet will be the 2's oscilators through N3 filters....

DS
That's the rumor I heard. I would love to actually play the damn thing if they ever release it. The added effects are a nice bonus. I know a lot of people are bummed for whatever reason that the Wave will have effects, but I'm happy about it. Also, the Wave demos on Clavia's site are horrid. They spent no more than the time it took to record them.

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:33 am

Can anyone comment on the key action 2x compared to the 3. I did play them side by side once but I can only remember using the 3 and thinking that it was acceptable & then I actually got into its lightness.

I know the 3 has aftertouch but were there any other changes like length/weight?

Cheers.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:26 am

some direct comparisons between the NL2 and NL3:
http://sayersweb.com/studio/html/Nord_L ... sus_3.html
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:29 pm

kayvon wrote:Can anyone comment on the key action 2x compared to the 3. I did play them side by side once but I can only remember using the 3 and thinking that it was acceptable & then I actually got into its lightness.

I know the 3 has aftertouch but were there any other changes like length/weight?

Cheers.
The 2X key action is c**p - useable for sure...but c**p....and will make you feel abit hesitant for spending so much on it.

I did have a N3 back in the day...and cant honestly remember its action.....probably something similar to the 2X or 2

Dont buy the Nord for its key action....

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:06 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:
kayvon wrote:Can anyone comment on the key action 2x compared to the 3. I did play them side by side once but I can only remember using the 3 and thinking that it was acceptable & then I actually got into its lightness.

Cheers.
The 2X key action is c**p - useable for sure...but c**p....and will make you feel abit hesitant for spending so much on it.

I did have a N3 back in the day...and cant honestly remember its action.....probably something similar to the 2X or 2

DS
yeah the key action on all of the nord synths sucks.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:00 pm

Cool, I wonder if Nord especially use unweighted actions over semi-weighted even though they feel 'cheaper' ie I wonder if its not just a cost cutting thing? I've tried some semi-weighted actions and felt they were too heavy (Remote SL) even though I prefer heavy hammer actions for digital pianos.

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:05 pm

Joey wrote:
DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:

Cheers.

DS
That's been my opinion as well and why I have opted for rack versions of their gear.

WD

maindeglorie

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:41 am

WDW wrote:
Joey wrote:
DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote: The 2X key action is c**p - useable for sure...but c**p....and will make you feel abit hesitant for spending so much on it.

DS
That's been my opinion as well and why I have opted for rack versions of their gear.

WD
See, I actually like my NL3's keyboard, it's light and really fast in a good synth way. I tend to use the aftertouch for vibrato, and if the keys were anywhere as good as the Virus TI's, then I wouldn't play the NL3 in the style that I do. The interface, aftertouch adn key response are the main reasons why I'll always keep it.