novation x station questions

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

novation x station questions

Post by zmd » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:48 pm

does it have portamento? and does it have a breath controller input, or just respond to breath over midi?

thanks!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:13 pm

Yes on portamento; linear and exponential. There's a seperate breath menu. There is no seperate input. The X-Station responds to midi data sent by the wind controller, and there is nice grid for mapping out modulation and parameters. Also, if you're interested, I think I am going to sell my X-Station 49. It is brand new, only three weeks old. I want a Supernova 2.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:00 pm

I wish, the 49 is what i want too:( but for now, i'm only shopping for one. i wish i had something to trade you for it tho, if you are up for trades, pm me, and we'll see if i have anything you might want. none of the gear listed below of course, i love all that stuff ;)

but, thanks for the info!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:53 pm

maindeglorie wrote:Yes on portamento; linear and exponential. There's a seperate breath menu. There is no seperate input. The X-Station responds to midi data sent by the wind controller, and there is nice grid for mapping out modulation and parameters. Also, if you're interested, I think I am going to sell my X-Station 49. It is brand new, only three weeks old. I want a Supernova 2.
what is it that you don't like about the X-Station?
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:47 am

That's a good question. It's the same problem I have with my K-Station; it's not a Supernova. I love the KS sound and I have programmed a lot of great sounds on the X-Station. Really I think the X is a fantastic synth. The keys are amazing, it's well built, and the tone sounds good. With that said, the sounds that I make on the X aren't exactly sounds that work with my other gear. It's weird for me to explain.

What I don't like about the X is the joystick. I like to program bass sounds on the K-Station and have the mod wheel increase filter cutoff and chorus amount, and I like to leave it open for ripping through a bridge, then return it back to a dry, punchy bass for the verse, and well... you can't do that on the X with that stupid joystick. Aslo, why cant the XY pad be mapped to control different parameters? And why the h**l doesn't it snap back to the original filter setting when you take your finger off?

I would recommend the X to anybody looking for a great sounding synth with a truly PROFESSIONAL keyboard. I don't give a c**p about it being a controller, or the audio I/O. It's a nice synth.

I bought the K-Station first, then the X-Station. But none of them are what I really want, which is a Supernova II KB. Which are rare to come by, hence why I bought the K and the X. But alas, not a Supernova.

maindeglorie

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:50 am

That's a good question. It's the same problem I have with my K-Station; it's not a Supernova. I love the KS sound and I have programmed a lot of great sounds on the X-Station. Really I think the X is a fantastic synth. The keys are amazing, it's well built, and the tone sounds good. With that said, the sounds that I make on the X aren't exactly sounds that work with my other gear. It's weird for me to explain.

What I don't like about the X is the joystick. I like to program bass sounds on the K-Station and have the mod wheel increase filter cutoff and chorus amount, and I like to leave it open for ripping through a bridge, then return it back to a dry, punchy bass for the verse, and well... you can't do that on the X with that stupid joystick. Aslo, why cant the XY pad be mapped to control different parameters? And why the h**l doesn't it snap back to the original filter setting when you take your finger off?

I would recommend the X to anybody looking for a great sounding synth with a truly PROFESSIONAL keyboard. I don't give a c**p about it being a controller, or the audio I/O. It's a nice synth.

I bought the K-Station first, then the X-Station. But none of them are what I really want, which is a Supernova II KB. Which are rare to come by, hence why I bought the K and the X. But alas, not a Supernova.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:28 am

maindeglorie wrote: What I don't like about the X is the joystick. I like to program bass sounds on the K-Station and have the mod wheel increase filter cutoff and chorus amount, and I like to leave it open for ripping through a bridge, then return it back to a dry, punchy bass for the verse, and well... you can't do that on the X with that stupid joystick. Aslo, why cant the XY pad be mapped to control different parameters? And why the h**l doesn't it snap back to the original filter setting when you take your finger off?
The joystick can be changed from the springy to normal via a little tab on the backside of the controller. Same thing goes for the XY, in the software you can have it spring left, center, or off.

maindeglorie

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:49 pm

Huh. Well thanks for that info! :)

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:24 pm

the X-Y pad parameters CAN be re-mapped ... (in fact, you can have two params each for X and Y ... even though none come programmed that way ... )

look under the 'template' edit section ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/