Ambient/Pad Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KalinsFarm

Post by KalinsFarm » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:30 am

This past year I bought both Atmosphere and a Fizmo.

If you want to sound like everyone else, get Atmosphere. It has great sounds with great fidelity but as I go through the sounds, they all seem familiar... familiar because you heard them all on the ambient cable radio station. It needs an update.

Fizmo is nothing but fun but I use it as a glitch machine. The downside is I found the sounds are somewhat dated (the sound of an 8bit 'Ahh' sample across the keyboard doesnt do it for me anymore). There is great demo here in the VSE Listening Lounge.
www.virb.com/intaglioblue
PEK, Fizmo, MS2k, Electro61, Absynth, Karma, ESQ-1, Eps16+, MG-1, M-tron, Reason, Atmosphere, Kantos

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:27 am

I was going to buy a fizmo at one point, but I lost interest after a short period.

Im quite into effects units so I guess I could create some pads with anything really (well within good reason). My biggest problem is, when I have something particular in mind, it takes me ages to make a decision.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:23 am

KalinsFarm wrote:This past year I bought both Atmosphere and a Fizmo.

If you want to sound like everyone else, get Atmosphere. It has great sounds with great fidelity but as I go through the sounds, they all seem familiar... familiar because you heard them all on the ambient cable radio station. It needs an update.

Fizmo is nothing but fun but I use it as a glitch machine. The downside is I found the sounds are somewhat dated (the sound of an 8bit 'Ahh' sample across the keyboard doesnt do it for me anymore). There is great demo here in the VSE Listening Lounge.
I wouldn't really call Atmosphere a synth...

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:59 pm

JMP wrote:
Yoozer wrote:
JMP wrote: :shock: :?: Not sure about that recommendation as a pad synth.
Time that I am going to build some nice demos for you then :D. I hope you don't mind that I'll throw a few effects over it and analog-ish resonant pads are obviously out of the question, but pads - the DX7 can do.
Course, fire away. I'm sure with a fair bit of work the DX's can give you some pads like virtually every other polysynth, but after my DX7II FD and DX27 experiences, I wouldn't 'recommend' them when you look at what else is out there, particularly if you're going to need outboard effects to get good results. A synth recommendation determined by providing many a good pad sound by the synth itself would seem a far better recommendation to me.
The DX excels at evolving glassy textures and pads you just have to listen to Brian Eno's Ambient 4/Apollo or Aphex Twins Ambient Works 2.

I use the FM7 now but personally for me the one thing I can really program well on the DX are slow pads but as JMP says a good external FX will be needed tho not too essential.

Oh I also forgot the Virsyn Cube and Terra which have a really nice transparent sound and extensive editing if you'd prefer to avoid the lazyness of ROMplers such as the Atmosphere which can sound a little soundtrackish at times.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:03 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned a Prophet VS (unless I overlooked it somewhere). Brian Eno swore by one for years and years. That pretty much tells you all you need to know.
When a VS goes thats it as the custom chips are very hard to find plus the Arturia version is much easier to program.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:05 pm

Soundwave wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned a Prophet VS (unless I overlooked it somewhere). Brian Eno swore by one for years and years. That pretty much tells you all you need to know.
When a VS goes thats it as the custom chips are very hard to find plus the Arturia version is much easier to program.
The VS is the little brother of the wavestation.

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:58 pm

Atmosphere will probably get an update in January, hold off until then.

If I had unlimited funds, the new Bowen Solaris would probably be the ultimate pad monster.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:30 am

for $1000 - 1600 id much rather go for few smaller boxes instead of one expensive. you get helluva lot more versatility and power this way.

for example, JD990 and Waldorf XT, two digital classics with different synthesis, and an MKS-70 for soft analog strings/vox/pads. this is a fantastic combo IME.

keep in mind that having a good multi fx/reverb unit goes a long way in creating good ambient pads, as key word is "ambient" i.e. putting the source in a some (huge) space. i think its probably easier to make a c**p synth do good convincing ambient using high end fx/reverb, than other way arround.

so judgin by many albums and movie soundtracks iv eheard with deep ambient soundscapes, i realized my fav ambient "synth" is actually an Eventide. :wink:

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:13 pm

absynth

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:54 pm

thestreets wrote:absynth
From the demo, I would have to agree, if you're looking for software.

Those envelopes... Madness.

iphoenix

Re:

Post by iphoenix » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:59 pm

I know this is a prehistoric thread but:

[quote=

The DX excels at evolving glassy textures and pads you just have to listen to Brian Eno's Ambient 4/Apollo ..)"

Both 'Ambient 4 On Land ', & 'Apollo' came out before the DX 7 .

Eno used the Yamaha CS80 & EMS Synthi AKS extensively on both those albums as far as I know.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Re: Ambient/Pad Synth

Post by hfinn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Yeah, "An Ending (Ascent)" by Brian Eno is possibly the greatest song in my opinion ever done on a CS-80

soundwave106

Post by soundwave106 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:44 am

iphoenix wrote: Both 'Ambient 4 On Land ', & 'Apollo' came out before the DX 7 .
Eno used the Yamaha CS80 & EMS Synthi AKS extensively on both those albums as far as I know.
You are correct on Ambient 4, but Apollo and the DX7 both came out the same year.

There's sources that pinpoint heavy DX7 usage on that album. I seriously doubt that was the exclusive synth though.

The most important thing in Apollo is the processing. There appears to be a fair bit of tape manipulation (eg playing notes backward to get a flowing feel), reverb and echo, EQ, etc. In many ways, what the original synth was does not matter.

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:29 pm

by the way, if you haven't seen the film which the apollo music comes from, get ready to have your mind blown.

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:16 am

soundwave106 wrote:
iphoenix wrote: Both 'Ambient 4 On Land ', & 'Apollo' came out before the DX 7 .
You are correct on Ambient 4, but Apollo and the DX7 both came out the same year.

There's sources that pinpoint heavy DX7 usage on that album. I seriously doubt that was the exclusive synth though.

The most important thing in Apollo is the processing. There appears to be a fair bit of tape manipulation (eg playing notes backward to get a flowing feel), reverb and echo, EQ, etc. In many ways, what the original synth was does not matter.
Yes I know Apollo & the DX7 came out the same year but I would bet heavily that the DX7 wasn't used on that album,
(unless heavily processed by Eventides etc, even so, I very much doubt it.)
I would be very interested in been proven wrong though .