Flame Midi Talking Synth (now with 2 demos)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Flame Midi Talking Synth (now with 2 demos)

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:38 pm

Just got one of these yesterday. It is smaller than I thought it would be and quite quirky. I bit expensive for what you get, but the build quality seems ok. It is very pretty machine in a weird way and is capable of some good noises. Hard to control and get the same sound alot with the built in joystick though...but I guess a bit of randomness is a good thing at times. It is better for noises and bleeps than words.

Anyone else using one? How do you like it? How are you implementing it into your music?

http://www.shelaq.de/talking_synth/start_e.htm
Last edited by JSRockit on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

konvert

Post by konvert » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:40 pm

We are waiting for samples.
wait...wait...wait..hold on...
demos please?
Vermona DRM1 mk2, Casio CZ-1000, MaM VF-11, Boss PC-2, Korg Minipops Junior

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:58 pm

konvert wrote:We are waiting for samples.
wait...wait...wait..hold on...
demos please?
:D Sir, I just got it at 7:00 last night and am at work now. Plus, I have to figure out how to make it sound cool before I demo it to the animals ;) on this forum.

I'm not sure I could do it justice vs. the demos on the site or on you tube. I'll probably be better off putting it in a song...but that'll take too long. I'll just make some demos soon.

konvert

Post by konvert » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:16 pm

JSRockit wrote:
:D Sir, I just got it at 7:00 last night and am at work now. Plus, I have to figure out how to make it sound cool before I demo it to the animals ;) on this forum.
No, you don't. Just plug it in, press record and RRRAAAVVEEEE wif it.
I'm not sure I could do it justice vs. the demos on the site or on you tube. I'll probably be better off putting it in a song...but that'll take too long. I'll just make some demos soon.
I'm actually more interested to hear 'my first 15 minutes with this machine' than super-tweaked, super-polished sounds from anything. It gives me better picture of the machines demoed.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:18 pm

Ok, fair enough...you asked for it. I'll just plug it in and record the noise tonight.

konvert

Post by konvert » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:19 pm

JSRockit wrote:Ok, fair enough...you asked for it. I'll just plug it in and record the noise tonight.
I thank thee, kind sir :D

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:08 pm

Is it also a midi controller too? That's awesome that all those cool switches and such send midi.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:47 pm

doesn't the mnm have a speech machine?
yeah well.. :)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:56 pm

hageir wrote:doesn't the mnm have a speech machine?
yeah well.. :)
Yeah, and I hate its tone. Plus, it is so different from this one. I would probably never really use either for speech much...more for noise. The MnM is easier to make melodies with though and isn't as random.

REwire

Post by REwire » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:37 pm

I was let down by it's midi implementation. In the mode that lets you play the sounds via Midi, they are just static voice snippets that don't transpose, only by the joystick, which is hardly controllable. They got a lot of nerve calling it a midi synth. Seems you could just get a sample bank and go to town with all those samples. In it's sequencer sync mode, it gets useful. But, I thought about how many tunes I would make with that sound and the answer was one. Hence no purchase. I hope you enjoy and get good use from it.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:52 pm

REwire wrote:I was let down by it's midi implementation. In the mode that lets you play the sounds via Midi, they are just static voice snippets that don't transpose, only by the joystick, which is hardly controllable. They got a lot of nerve calling it a midi synth. Seems you could just get a sample bank and go to town with all those samples. In it's sequencer sync mode, it gets useful. But, I thought about how many tunes I would make with that sound and the answer was one. Hence no purchase. I hope you enjoy and get good use from it.
To be honest, those are my thoughts exactly so far. I was disappointed when I plugged my midi keyboard into it...the words are not really ...well they suck for the most part. However, it truly is a fun noise maker once you use it in sequencer mode and you hold and loop more abstract sounds. I'll figure out how to make it work for me.

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:17 pm

i don't want to get involved in a flame thread.

konvert

Post by konvert » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:28 pm

JSRockit wrote:
REwire wrote:I was let down by it's midi implementation. In the mode that lets you play the sounds via Midi, they are just static voice snippets that don't transpose, only by the joystick, which is hardly controllable. They got a lot of nerve calling it a midi synth. Seems you could just get a sample bank and go to town with all those samples. In it's sequencer sync mode, it gets useful. But, I thought about how many tunes I would make with that sound and the answer was one. Hence no purchase. I hope you enjoy and get good use from it.
To be honest, those are my thoughts exactly so far. I was disappointed when I plugged my midi keyboard into it...the words are not really ...well they suck for the most part. However, it truly is a fun noise maker once you use it in sequencer mode and you hold and loop more abstract sounds. I'll figure out how to make it work for me.
Just post the g'damn demos man! :D j/k
but still. :P

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:24 pm

This is a new one on me I wonder if its similar to the very rare Electro Harmonix Talk pedal?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Soundwave wrote:This is a new one on me I wonder if its similar to the very rare Electro Harmonix Talk pedal?
No, that is a talk box...an effect. This is a synth of some sort...built with 2 speakjet chips... closer to a bent speak and spell I guess, but with a fatter sound and more options.